Frustration, Anger, Despair...

SirDibblet

Yep, most us of have been there..

To clear your mind of life frustrations..Like already mentioned by others.

- Rotate hobbies

- Indulge in another part of the hobby, like terrain making or making up a background story for an army or character

- Excercise ( I like Martial Arts or weight lifting an such)

- Treat yourself to a day off, and get lazy..try not to think of the bad things..maybe visit something you like ( I like Zoos or hiking in nature for instance)

- Try something new, you've never done before.

I hope you will feel better soon, it is a normal phase.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 4

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the feeling.  I was in an eerily similar situation not too long ago;  army vet, new to the hobby, lots of life complications, and couldn't seem to get paint onto minis the way it looked in my head so I became quite frustrated and unmotivated.  A break and some new supplies (a whole bunch of new paints, lights, sculpting and basing stuff) have me feeling reinvigorated and excited to dive back in.  Also, perhaps try a totally new style of project.  I took a break for a week or two, then did some spearmen for my D&D campaign, and those were pretty fun, but I felt a bit unmotivated after those and wound up on another break.  Finally, today, my Alice from Nocturna Models came in.  I'm painting it up as a late birthday gift for my brother who's a big fan of the story, and I can't wait to get started on it.

Venting can certainly alleviate a lot of the pressure.  Everyone here I'm sure understands the typical life stuff, but there's also a pretty high number of prior service guys around if you feel they could relate to you better.  Feel free to PM me if you like as well.  Hope you climb out of the rut soon!

Rob

It is really nice to know that others have felt like I do right now.  Everything is so stupidly stressful as my wife and I pick up and move across country so I can start my PhD program.  The painting helps me forget all the stress that entails but as the move date draws closer my stress levels increase exponentially daily. 

Hey Brother!

That kind of thing happens to all of us!

There are always ways to adapt and overcome!

There was a thread I started asking who was a vet a while ago, where we all talked, and some of it was smack....

We even let the Navy guys talk!

George

(Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet, & Conn Nasty Girl, Retired)

Adapt and Overcome!  I learned that one in the Marine Corps infantry back in 2000 and it became my personal mantra ever since.  Thanks for reminding me of that!  It's cool knowing that there are other vets hanging about as well.

• Like 5

Hang in there.  It'll get better.  Don't force it.  Do something else.  I play video games, take long walks and try to keep my cat from eating my fingers.  Remember we're always our own worst critics, too. So try to summon that proud feeling because anytime something is finished or learned, it's awesome!

• Like 2

If you are looking to keep painting in the short term, a change in mindset might be in order. you seem to be frustrated because the things you are envisioning aren't coming to fruition.

So change your goals. Instead of trying to paint something specific, make what you are doing the goal.

Try speed painting a mini in 30 minutes, with random colors. That's the goal - not to make it look a specific way, or to adhere to some specific style or method, just to be done in 30 minutes.

I, too, get wrapped up in "perfection," but then I watch my kids tear in to painting a mini with reckless abandon and simply having fun doing it. Children don't have the burden of expectation, just the brush, the water, the paint, and the surface.

Break the cycle by embracing your "failures" - slap the paint on and let it flow, and what will be will be.

A little chaos can be very freeing.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 8

The long and short of it is that I have many many external factors complicating my life and the joy and catharsis I usually get while painting has evaporated and I am now just frustrated with every single thing I seem to do while painting.  I seem to have lost patience with myself and my limited abilities and can't seem to just paint for the love of painting.  I know fully well this is a result of many factors but I can't help just getting so frustrated as it feels like this external nonsense has intruded into my happy little painting corner of the world.  I have already started and abandoned two new paints due to being "displeased" with the initial phases of each one...

I know I will snap out of it and perhaps a little break from painting might help while the rest of life's great conundrums work themselves out.  I suppose I just needed to vent and ask to hear if this has happened to others poking around this forum as well.

Try converting things. I find cutting tiny people into itty-bitty bits, and piecing them back together into other monstrosities helps.

What?

• Like 7

I'd only point out that if you feel anger or frustration when doing something as a hobby, you should think about what you're doing.

Hobbies is a way to get rid of negative emotions. To help you relax and recharge.

Take up another hoby for a while!

RC models?

Or maybe photography?

And put 'our' madnes into it if you want...

Imagine a micro RC plane, painted to look like a dragon...

Or a miniature Pinhole camera...

Probably not... Just go with what sounds fun!

Then come back when you catch yourself getting abstinence symptoms...

So change your goals. Instead of trying to paint something specific, make what you are doing the goal.

Try speed painting a mini in 30 minutes, with random colors. That's the goal - not to make it look a specific way, or to adhere to some specific style or method, just to be done in 30 minutes.

I can attest that this is very relaxing and surprisingly fun. You could also try painting things in silly ways, like all pink, with glitter, as clowns, or do finger painting (finger painting results have been posted in the show off forums).

Painting a dire wolf as a clown wolf was good silly fun, and I didn't have to worry about it not being "perfect".

Clown dire wolves are also pretty scary, btw :wacko:

• Like 4

I'd only point out that if you feel anger or frustration when doing something as a hobby, you should think about what you're doing.

Hobbies is a way to get rid of negative emotions. To help you relax and recharge.

Sometimes with painting miniatures I've found that it's so relaxing that my mind can wander. If I'm stressing over something, that means that even though I'm enjoying painting, my mind can wander to whatever I'm stressing about, and that, in turn, can make me not want to paint. 

The best way I've found to combat that is to paint with other people around, so I can have a conversation at the same time.  Usually it's with my wife while she works on her stained glass, but sometimes I'll just pack up some supplies and go to the FLGS so I can talk with other gamers while I paint. 

Ayup what they all said

I tend to get more frustated late at night, mostly because the lighting is never enough and my eyesight is poor. Plus now I'm getting old so eyesight is really an issue!

But anyway, try doing something else for sure :) I like to build terrain when not miniature painting.

I often find if I'm getting annoyed at my fine motor skills it helps to take it out on something that requires large muscle instead. It seems to help me focus again on the fine stuff, instead of going all HULK SMASH on my projects :D

And if the reason you're getting frustrated is ever that you just can't do what you want to do, as well as you want to do it... take out your old projects/pictures and see how far you've come! You will get there if you keep trying :D

• Like 1

It is really nice to know that others have felt like I do right now.  Everything is so stupidly stressful as my wife and I pick up and move across country so I can start my PhD program.  The painting helps me forget all the stress that entails but as the move date draws closer my stress levels increase exponentially daily.

Moving *and* starting a PHD?!

I was never in the service, though my parents have plenty of stories about surviving my dad's PHD. But yeah, you guys have good reason to feel stressed enough to the point of not being able to relax with your usual hobbies (painting or otherwise).

Hopefully, once you guys have moved, the pace of life will go back to normal. The hobby will call out to you.

Avoid painting eyeballs in the meanwhile.

Adapt and Overcome!  I learned that one in the Marine Corps infantry back in 2000 and it became my personal mantra ever since.  Thanks for reminding me of that!  It's cool knowing that there are other vets hanging about as well.

I got it from Gunny Thomas Highway (Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge)

:devil:

But I figured it would strike a note....

And the vets around here all look out for each other, usually by laying down a little extra smack....

Avoid painting eyeballs in the meanwhile.

He means on minis, (I hope!) Not your own or other humans.....

George