Frustration, Anger, Despair...

SirDibblet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frustration, anger, and despair are my reasons for painting miniatures.

Yeah. If I want to be frustrated, angry, or depressed, I paint miniatures, too. :lol:

I only paint to advanced tabletop, but I've been finding painting easier when greyscaling first. Instead of seven teeny-tiny areas to paint with 20+ different paint colors, I'm painting the entire mini grey in only black, white, and grey (and brown) as undercoat colors. You can even start greyscaling when you're brush-priming, in black and white. Sure, it's not a color display-level model, but you make progress with your painting, and can later paint over it with glazes when you're ready.

• Like 1

I can totally understand your dilemma. I haven't been able to sustain the brief periods of excitement I've had since I returned from Iraq...in 2011 (nothing to do with the actual deployment just a lot of other factors).  It's really frustrating too because I want to, but when I do have the time and motivation I sit there and try and figure out what exactly I want to do.  I've started and half-elfed keep up with a couple other hobbies, but brewing is about the only one that stuck.

Anyway, you're not alone. The only thing I can suggest is that you do what's going to help you, and don't forget to do things for yourself from time to time so you don't fixate on "why don't I want to paint."

And for my part in interservice ribbing, today I honest to (whichever higher power you ascribe to) saw Air Force tech school trainees engaging in puppy therapy. They were there all afternoon.

• Like 1

Hey Marine!

How are things moving along?

Haven't seen you around for a bit, so was curious as to how things are going....

Hope everything is good!

If not, locate the enemy, and then plan and execute an amphibious Assault!

This look like a DI in a suit to you?

evil-penguin-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

When no one is looking and the new 2LT walks by....

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

I like to paint angry... ::D:

When I get stressed out, I put on some dark music and take a miniature - something nice and pretty and happy like an angel/princess/unicorn/fairy - and go completely over-the-top evil on it... :grr:

I'll  modify the hell out of it and turn it into some Lovecraftian monstrosity and then paint it all dark and covered with gore, lol...

Sometimes, I don't bother to paint them at all - I just enjoy attacking them with cutters, clippers and grinders until they're a pile of shavings. Or engage in a little bit of hammer therapy.

Yeah, I'm twisted like that... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Everyone gets frustrated. I've taken months-long breaks (and regret it every time!). The important thing is to come back to it. As I said, everyone gets frustrated, but those who stick with it have the potential to become artists.

I try not to paint when upset or tired. If it's not working, I walk away from it for a while. I've had some luck overcoming it by starting with a very small, manageable goal, "I'm going to paint this sword and nothing else." Often I end up sitting for a full paint session because by the time I'm done painting that sword or whatever, I'm back in painting mode.

• Like 8

Everyone gets frustrated. I've taken months-long breaks (and regret it every time!). The important thing is to come back to it. As I said, everyone gets frustrated, but those who stick with it have the potential to become artists.

I try not to paint when upset or tired. If it's not working, I walk away from it for a while. I've had some luck overcoming it by starting with a very small, manageable goal, "I'm going to paint this sword and nothing else." Often I end up sitting for a full paint session because by the time I'm done painting that sword or whatever, I'm back in painting mode.

^^^^This!

Has happened to me more than Once!

I am going to paint "X" then quit...

6 hours later, I am shooting and photo editing pics of what I did ...

• Like 5

I do want that nice gaggle of Rosemary & Co lovelies!

I'm content with my trip to the craft store, where I stocked up on a massive pile of cheapish brushes at 50%+ off because I'm still learning how to be gentle to them when oil painting. There are a couple decent ones I bought initially, I should've known better. I feel bad for them.

• Like 2

As someone mentioned violent video games help me when stressed.  Fallout games especially.  Something about the exploding body parts really calms me...don't judge.  Something else that has been surprisingly helpful is the RP Challenge on the forum.  It gives me something to shoot for, and at the end of the month a cut off point for the minis being done. 

• Like 1