So not really a tip or anything, but just a casual comment.  Base coats are wonderfully essential to a nice paint job and all, but sometimes they are just so boring to apply on a figure.  Last night I was working on my next little quartet of dwarves, and I'm at that point where I'm going to need to paint their armor next.  So I spent a few hours painting rainy grey as my armor base coat for the four, coats with very thin paint as to hopefully not obscure the detail of the chain mail and all. So yes, two hours last night just painting gray on little itty bitty dwarves.  Necessary, but not thrilling, like painting eyes or beard highlights....

• Like 2

I feel the same way, base coating is always the slowest step for me. Once I get past it and on to shading and highlighting, I finish fairly quickly. Most of my shelf of shame are minis that I started base coating but never finished as I just lost interest.

It's just one of those necessary evils. I'm kind of hte same, after the base coating it's all fairies and unicorns of happiness (semi-literally), but the dreaded base coat just seems to take forever. And now I'm trying to be a tad more efficient by painting small groups of figures (maximum of four) that are similar to kind of work a bit more quickly, so it's even more mind numbing.

Base coating doesn't have to be slow and tedious. I took a class from Wappel last year at RCon called "Shaded Base Coats".  He uses cheap synthetic size 8 pointed round brushes to very quickly sling paint on a mini. He mixes color on the figure while it's still wet. It's really amazing to watch.   Here is my first attempt using his technique.  It was tons of fun and very liberating to paint with such abandon.

10689486_974219135930317_339849850032102

• Like 5

It might be that I am just boring; but I never find base coating a bore.

I choose my colors and apply thinking what I like.

However; I also realize that by having a color wheel next to me, I may be applying a base coat;

or I may be applying an undercoat to the folds, and change the color completely to its inverse.

by selecting its compliment to continue painting.  I do that a lot with red and green.

Just a pithy observation.

• Like 5

Base-coating doesn't bother me much either, unless it's a unit.  Or a large figure with a bunch of the same color all over. When those situations come up I'll break out the airbrush, or a larger brush than my typical size one or two to help speed things along.

• Like 2

Basecoating is probably my favorite part of painting.  I like seeing the basic colors of the mini come together.  I actually have to be careful when I paint, because if I do all the base colors at once, I might not have the enthusiasm to finish it up properly.

• Like 2

So not really a tip or anything, but just a casual comment.  Base coats are wonderfully essential to a nice paint job and all, but sometimes they are just so boring to apply on a figure.  Last night I was working on my next little quartet of dwarves, and I'm at that point where I'm going to need to paint their armor next.  So I spent a few hours painting rainy grey as my armor base coat for the four, coats with very thin paint as to hopefully not obscure the detail of the chain mail and all. So yes, two hours last night just painting gray on little itty bitty dwarves.  Necessary, but not thrilling, like painting eyes or beard highlights....

You might want to steer away from working on armies then.  If you think painting armour on four dwarves is a drag, just wait until you have 40 of the little buggers sitting there waiting for your attention . . . 

The Egg

• Like 3