Finally got this awesome miniature in the mail yesterday and couldn't wait to get started.

post-14799-0-37764900-1459285462_thumb.jpg

Meet Alice from Nocturna Models' "Fairy Tale Girls" line, sculpt by Alfonso Gozalo based on concept art by Jesús Martín.  With such an incredible sculpt and amazing sample paint job, I'm probably not going to take much artistic license with the paint scheme and will try to follow Jesús Martín's color scheme as best as I can.  With that in mind, this will be an extremely challenging project for several reasons:

This is my first resin model, everything prior has been Bones!  This is the first model I'll be pinning.  I've done a couple others that required some assembly (though not as fine as this), but this will be the first with pins and putty filling the gaps.  Also my first model with human hair and way more skin than I've done.  Lots of suuuuuper fine freehand o.O.  And last but not certainly not least, the first one I'm trying to emulate another artist's work rather than just throwing paint at a mini all willy-nilly.

Please feel free to add questions, comments, critiques, advice, etc. throughout the process!  I expect to put in a pretty serious amount of work on this piece and will need all the help I can get!  Depending on how well the model itself turns out, I may explore the possibility of turning it into a larger diorama, sculpting a tree and a cheshire cat with some other accoutrement.  Stay tuned!

--------

Step 1:  Pinning!

This actually went a lot better than I expected.  There are a few minor mishaps, of course, such as her right arm being about .5-1.5mm farther back than it ought to be, as well as a few joins that weren't as flush as I'd like.  I think the arm is barely noticeable though, so I'm not too worried about it, and a bit of GS or procreate will bridge the small gaps elsewhere.  Overall, though, I'm ecstatic with the results and am super excited to get her primed up and ready for paint.

post-14799-0-74502900-1459285463_thumb.jpgpost-14799-0-26512100-1459285460_thumb.jpgpost-14799-0-84611200-1459285460_thumb.jpgpost-14799-0-36627700-1459285461_thumb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like fun!

A thought, before it dies of loneliness....

When doing skin, glazes are your friend!

Black and white pics are also your friend, to help you see where the highlights are, and where they should be.

George

• Like 2

Geeyahh!  That is NOT how I usually picture young Ms. Alice of Wonderland fame...  Nevertheless, she's an absolutely beautiful model.  I am torn between wanting to try my hand on one that size (that...may not have come out as I intended, but onward!) and fear of not doing a sculpt of that scale justice.

• Like 2

Awesome model.

You might want to use a masking tape in order to get those striped stockings right.

Also don't glue her yet, or you won't be able to reach her behind...( with the paintbrush..you KNOW what I mean!!!)

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 4

Awesome model.

You might want to use a masking tape in order to get those striped stockings right.

Also don't glue her yet, or you won't be able to reach her behind...( with the paintbrush..you KNOW what I mean!!!)

Dirty old wolf!

Bp

• Like 1

Awesome model.

Ahhh of course!  For some reason taping the legs to get the stripes never even occurred to me, I just planned on dedicating several hours of meticulous work to them.  But it's always better to work smarter, not harder.  Thanks Xherman, I'll definitely have to give that a shot.

• Like 1

I'd use blue painters tape rather than masking tape to do the stockings AND I'd do the white first, seal it with some brush on sealer, then tape and paint the blue over the white. Then you can get really clean lines and not worry about the tape peeling it off. You can also paint over the sealer just fine so you can do your highlights and whatnot easily.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip Uber!  I had a similar sort of plan in mind, however, doing the blue first.  In the sample work, there's a lot of blue in the white of the stockings.  Not sure if that was from basing blue and striping soft layers of white, or basing white, striping blue, and glazing a bit of blue at some point.  I think the former is more likely, or at least sounds easier. 

I haven't drawn up an official plan of attack yet, but I think how I'll tackle it is painting the legs blue, shading and highlighting blue, seal, then tape and do soft white stripes.  I think that should allow the blue (and the shading/highlighting) to show through to the extent that it does in the sample work.  That should make the whole process easier, and blend better I hope.

Does that make sense, or am I way off?

• Like 2

I see what you mean, but it's much easier to paint over WHITE w/ blue and then glaze in the blue over the white areas that need it rather than try to get that subtle shading of white over the blue. Trying to glaze WHITE over blue will be a real pain in the elf because those lighter colors and their pigments seem to separate much easier than the darker pigments, plus you can easily find blue ink or something like Reaper's Clear Blue to use as a glaze over the white. ETA: I LOVE the Reaper Clears. They are amazing for doing glazes and subtle tinting.

Just a suggestion on how I'd personally do it because of how the darker/lighter colors are in my experience.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Hmmmm, I do believe you've convinced me.  I think I'll base white -> seal -> play around with blue glazes and see how I like them -> seal again -> then tape and stripe blue.

I'll have to put the clears on the wishlist.  I could've sworn I had ordered some in my BYOPS but looking through now it doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 2

Hmmmm, I do believe you've convinced me.  I think I'll base white -> seal -> play around with blue glazes and see how I like them -> seal again -> then tape and stripe blue.

I'll have to put the clears on the wishlist.  I could've sworn I had ordered some in my BYOPS but looking through now it doesn't seem to be the case.

There are 2 triads of the CLEAR paints, I have all of them now, really they are an awesome investment to make and a must-have for all painters IMHO.

• Like 1

There are 2 triads of the CLEAR paints, I have all of them now, really they are an awesome investment to make and a must-have for all painters IMHO.

There used to be three triads.  The third one had Clear Orange, Clear Viridian and Clear Plum.  I keep wondering when they'll bring them back, but the first two sets are really good, even without number three.

9744_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Knitted socks will always show a bit of the other colour in the white areas when they're stretched. 

How wide are the bands of blue and white?

You can get masking tape as narrow as 0.4mm if you want.

Search for 'Micron tape' on the Bay of E.

(I have 0.4, 0.7, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5mm and know there's a 2mm tape also. The 0.4 and 0.7mm are 8Meter rolls, the others are 'only' 5Meter)

• Like 3

Gadgetman, you're a lifesaver!  I was expecting to have to splay a wider roll myself.  The left leg is roughly 30mm by itself, and I'm probably shooting for about 10 stripes of white and 10 of blue, give or take.  I'll have to see if I can acquire the 1mm and 1.5mm tapes locally and if not I'll check online.

• Like 2