Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting to Know Each Other - April 2016

Question the 1st of April: If you had the power (or ability) to make it so, What left-handed device or gadget would you cause to be created? ...aside from left-handed paintbrushes?

...which are totally a thing...

• Like 4

Question the 1st of April: If you had the power (or ability) to make it so, What left-handed device or gadget would you cause to be created? ...aside from left-handed paintbrushes?

I dunno. We already have left-handed cell phones. There are few things I need more than that.

• Like 3

Question the 1st of April: If you had the power (or ability) to make it so, What left-handed device or gadget would you cause to be created? ...aside from

?

Um, being right handed, never really thought about it and the lefties I know haven't really complained about anything. I dunno, is there left handed video game controllers? Is that a thing? Would that be needed?

• Like 3

Video cameras. Anything below the pro level is right handed. And a lot of the pro stuff is just reversable if you have an hour to unscrew everything.

• Like 4

How about non smearing pens and pencils so that they don't get that grey smear on their hands when writing stuff?

• Like 6

How about non smearing pens and pencils so that they don't get that grey smear on their hands when writing stuff?

SO MUCH THIS!

• Like 4

Well, the traditional thing is the left-handed monkey wrench.

::D:

But if I were serious and left-handed, cameras. They're typically set up with the shutter release and the most important controls on the right, with very little way to change that.

• Like 5

Hmmm.... I've really just given up on anything being made easier for us, so I've forgotten most of my childhood dream list.... And a lot of things are getting out there, like lefty scissors... I spent $25 on lefty fabric scissors and I wanted to cut everything in the house, it was so stinking amazing! :lol:

More firearms that eject on the left! Nothing like getting zinged in the arm/mouth/shoulder with a hot casing.... :zombie:

There are some available, but they are nearly impossible to find in stores, and they are never models I want.

I'm glad that ambidextrous safeties have become a thing though - that's very helpful.

Can openers and school desks were the worst growing up.... And all that silver graphite smudging on my hand...

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 8

Can't really think of too much - I adapted to Righty's world early on. I learned to cut and shoot right handed (except for bows, I can't shoot them right handed). I got over the pencil/ink smears by putting a piece of scrap paper between my left hand and the paper I'm writing on. I love that the arrow keys on a keyboard are on the right side, as I usually use those for movement in games.

Edit: Oh yes - school desks were the worst. My poor elbow hanging out in space when I'm trying to write...

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 4

I have an ancient Grenadier elf miniature casually holding a sword in his left hand. You can bet that it represented my D&D characters (regardless of race) for a looong time.

• Like 6

@Morihalda You want an Artist Leaning Bridge*. They also make leaning sticks but are less comfortable.

For southpaws (my brother is one):

Spiral notebooks

I second the cameras. P&S, SLR/DSLR, and video.

I also second video game controllers.

Sewing machines.

Lawn mowers. The pull string is always for righties.

*image courtesy Dick Blick

• Like 5

I adopted this weird sitting position where I curled up my knees to my chest and sat sideways in those dumb chairs so I had arm space on the desktop... 

The arrow keys reminded me - for PC gaming, being a lefty is actually a blessing! Thumb on L CTRL, pointer finger on A, middle on W, ring on D, palm on spacebar. My fingers hit 1-6 easily and my thumb can hit all the modifier keys. It takes a bit of finagling in the key mapping options, but then I barely have to move my right hand when I play! ::D:

@sharky - Are you right eye dominant when you shoot? That would be such a huge pain to adjust! :O

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 3