Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting to Know Each Other - April 2016

Question — April 14th Pencil –or– Pen: if some of each are in reach when you need to write things, which do you prefer to write with?

If the pen I made is available, then that pen. Otherwise, generally pencil.

Picture? (...pen you made...)

Made this one out of Purpleheart 2 years ago. I've made a few others since, some of which are actually quite nice, but this was my first and I think it's the only one I still have. The rest got given away.

This is made with a kit, by the way - I took a wood blank, drilled the holes, turned the shape, and glued it all together (as appropriate) but the mechanical stuff is all prebuilt.

(And in case anyone's curious - the little fat bit near the tip is deliberate. I took a similarly-sized pen and figured out where my fingers naturally rest, and the little indentation before the fat bit is perfectly located and the perfect depth for my fingers to comfortably use the pen. At least, in theory. ::P: It is quite comfy to use, anyway. )2016-04-14%2014.22.15.jpg?raw=1&dl=0

• Like 9

Question — April 14th Pencil –or– Pen: if some of each are in reach when you need to write things, which do you prefer to write with?

Blood Pen!!!

Why not both?

0X1izat.jpg

• Like 7

14: I prefer to write with a pen.  If I'm feeling all fancy, I might actually use my dip pen (for which I have a variety of nibs from fine to rather wide).  If It's just informal notes, I tend to use my Uniball Vision Elite (blue-black ink).  When playing Pathfinder or D&D, obviously, I use a pencil; I've got a number of mechanical pencils I keep in my game bag for just that purpose.  When I'm feeling like drawing, I actually prefer to reach for my crayons and drawing pad.

• Like 3

Blood  Pen!!!

Pen for writing, Pencil for brainstorming.

Generally pen. 20 years of military programming that EVERYTHING needs to be written in black ink is hard to break.

• Like 7

I use pens mostly, I have lost quite a few poems and such to pages of notebooks rubbing together with writing in pencil, that said I use pencils for information that will change on character sheets because it is much easier to change pencil marks, but things such as name, race, alignment and all are all written in pen because they aren't expected to change.

Reading back through that I can tell that I don't feel well today as it is rambling and only semi-coherent, but I'm not going to change it.

• Like 2

Mechanical pencil (never needs sharpening!) unless it's writing that needs to be non-erasable.

• Like 2

Generally, I reach for a pen.  I hate pencils and will never use them if I have a choice (the exception being for mechanical pencils which I will use for things I expect to erase).

• Like 1

I usually prefer pen with black ink. I do use mechanical pencils for character sheets and journaling during games. Pencils for drawing, sometimes enhanced with black ink.

My mom bought me some really nice gel ink pens in a big packet with a ton of colors. They are so smooth flowing. I do like drawing with those. Mostly to outline or enhance and the rest is done with colored pencil.

• Like 1

Pen, mostly. As I am left-handed, pencils are more likely to smudge on me. And pen is easier to see. I used pencils when I'm drawing, however.

• Like 3

I never have both in reach. It gets too confusing.
  • Like 2

It depends on the context. If I'm writing at work, for work stuff, pen (purple gel pen, to be quite specific). If I'm writing on my character sheet you better believe it's in pencil. I generally draw with a pencil, then ink the drawings later, but I will doodle with either.
  • Like 1