Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting to Know Each Other - April 2016

Question for April 21st: Do you make interesting sandwiches that are special or unique to your family, and if so, can you share the recipe?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

I'm actually pretty conservative in my sandwich making.

The only oddity I can think of is that I like an open faced sandwich when using dense brown bread but prefer a closed sandwich when using white.

Not my most riveting post, but then it is after 1am and I should be sleeping.

• Like 3

Hopefully, yesterday let us all exorcise exercise our varying levels of OCD and it is all better now.  :ph34r:

(I had to edit that prior post because the format tags went wonky.) OK...

Sandwiches:

IMG_0090x800_zpsxklltv86.jpg

First up (on the left in picture) is a variant on a

PIMIENTO CHEESE

Two slices....of your favorite bread (Honey & Oat is what is pictured)

2 Tbsp....Sweet/Mild Red Pepper Relish

3 Dashes....Paprika

3 HTbsp....Piemiento Cheese

Take one slice of bread, spread Pepper Relish evenly but not too close to the edges. Add Cheese on top of Relish. Spread to even thickness. Sprinkle Paprika atop cheese. Cover with last piece of bread. (Optionally, cut diagonally to share or for photo op.) Serve cold. 

Next up (on the right in picture) is a:

TANGY SMOKED TURKEY & SPINACH

Two slices....of your favorite bread (Honey & Oat is what is pictured)

2 Tbsp....Sweet/Mild Red Pepper Relish

12 leaves...of Baby spinach (approx.)

3-4 slices....Smoked Turkey

1 slice....Muenster Cheese

Mustard....to taste

Take one slice of bread, add preferred dosage of mustard. Place Spinach Leaves on Mustard with any stems pointed inward to keep sandwich tidy (alternatively: trim stems). Place Turkey atop Spinach. Add more Mustard on top of Turkey (optional). Set Muenster Cheese on top of Turkey. Take last piece of bread, spread Pepper Relish evenly but not too close to the edges. Close the sandwich. (Optionally, cut diagonally to share or for photo op.)  Serve immediately (cold). 

@Darsc, sleep on it. I bet you do something differently than anyone else does.

• Like 8

Question for April 21st: Do you make interesting sandwiches that are special or unique to your family, and if so, can you share the recipe?

I don't think so. I don't eat a lot of sandwiches and when I do, they are just basic sandwiches.

• Like 1

I don't really.

I would be delighted to try somebody else's favorite sandwich though.

• Like 1

Nothing really out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

AQ21: We are pretty standard with our sandwiches.  My wife doesn't particularly care for sandwiches in general, so it's not a format of food that we have invested a lot of time into crafting new and different recipes for.

• Like 1

My mom used to make us peanut butter & sugar sandwiches. You put peanut butter on the bread, then sprinkle a significant amount of white sugar on it.

I highly recommend never, ever eating it.  :zombie:

• Like 5

Not really. I do have some unusual pizzas that I've been involved in the development of:

Pastrami and Yellow Mustard

Jalapeno, Pepperoni, and Garlic

and the Shack Pizza: Bacon, Chicken Strips, French Fries, and Barbecue Sauce

• Like 2

OK. Fine. I will give away my award winning sandwich recipe:

You'll need to mix these:

Can of shredded chicken

Celery Salt

Sriratcha Sauce

Virtually any brand of real mayonnaise.

Put on a slice of white bread. Put some chopped cilantro and some swiss cheese. Top with another slice of white bread. Throw in a lightly oiled fry pan and brown the outside.

Then make yourself another one, because if you like spicy food, you'll want a second one probably.

• Like 5

OK. Fine. I will give away my award winning sandwich recipe:

You'll need to mix these:

Can of shredded chicken

Celery Salt

Sriratcha Sauce

Virtually any brand of real mayonnaise.

Put on a slice of white bread. Put some chopped cilantro and some swiss cheese. Top with another slice of white bread. Throw in a lightly oiled fry pan and brown the outside.

Then make yourself another one, because if you like spicy food, you'll want a second one probably.

I'm going to try that, it sounds delicious.

• Like 2

On 19th question about those people: even as a retired Guy who doesn't have to pay taxes, I prefer not to talk about them or recognize their existence ....just like my reaction to G.W..

On the 20th: If I spot a miscue in one of my posts, I do correct it. It's not so much a perfectionist's obsession as a carry over from my proof reading days...I've had a variety of jobs..

AND today: left to my own devices I skip lunch & breakfast for that matter. SO I don't make sandwiches, interesting or otherwise.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 2

Closest would probably be open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches. They're just small pieces of American "Cheese" set on top of bread and grilled until the cheese is browned. Serve with butter melted on top. (Health food.)

When my mother couldn't stand the thought of making a real dinner (usually when my dad was on TDY and she had had to deal with me and my sister for several days straight), she would make sugar sandwiches, which are like Canuckotter's, but with butter rather than peanut butter. (More health food.)

My wife makes sandwiches that I refuse to contemplate. (Peanut butter and pickle maybe?) So horrible that I neither can nor will remember the ingredients.  :blink:  Nothing so bad as Vegemite or Marmite ( ::P: ), mind, but horrible nonetheless.

• Like 4