Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting to Know Each Other - April 2016

Question for April 21st: Do you make interesting sandwiches that are special or unique to your family, and if so, can you share the recipe?

I make a sandwich which is pretty unique.

Basically, you take two slices of white bread.  On one slice, you put lots of peanut butter on it - preferably the crunchy type.  On the other slice, you put lots of jam - any kind will do.  Then you mush them together and snarf down.

You might not think it would be yummy but you would be wrong!

I call it the PB&J.

Pretty unique right?

• Like 7

Question for April 21st: Do you make interesting sandwiches that are special or unique to your family, and if so, can you share the recipe?

Basically, you take two slices of white bread. On one slice, you put lots of peanut butter on it - preferably the crunchy type. On the other slice, you put lots of jam - any kind will do. Then you mush them together and snarf down.

I call it the PB&J.

Pretty unique right?

But one's made with nuts and the other's made with fruit! You're mad! Mad, I tell you!

• Like 5

Basically, you take two slices of white bread. On one slice, you put lots of peanut butter on it - preferably the crunchy type. On the other slice, you put lots of jam - any kind will do. Then you mush them together and snarf down.

I call it the PB&J.

Pretty unique right?

But one's made with nuts and the other's made with fruit! You're mad! Mad, I tell you!

It's a Crunchy Peanut Butter and Jelly.

• Like 2

Nope my sandwiches are pretty boring. Made for me to consume.

• Like 3

I call it the PB&J.

Pretty unique right?

Incorrect! Peanuts are legumes, not actual nuts. So it's really a bean and fruit sandwich, which is clearly uncanny.

• Like 5

One way to cut the carbs of a sandwich (literally in half) is to just use one piece of bread. :mellow: Add whatever the ingredients are, but not super thick, then fold in half. Fails if the ingredients are stacked Dagwood fashion (too thick).

Final? Sandwich:

Given Doug's research above this next business might technically be a roll rather than a sandwich. But, I find I live in a state which is quite liberal regarding use of the word sandwich. We got pocket sandwiches, flat bread sandwiches, these things called "sliders" even.

TEXAS GIANT POT ROAST SLIDERS

Two or three LARGE dinner rolls (For a value of "large" as defined by a stereotypical Texan.)

Mashed potatoes 1-2 servings

A heaping helping of Beef Pot Roast (with onions, carrots, etc.)

1 serving Steamed Spinach, or...

1 serving Green Peas

All ingredients should be warm/hot and freshly made. Take one roll (a Hoagie roll is an alternative) and slicing in from the longest side carve a pocket in the roll. Leave the top, bottom and three sides intact. With a table spoon, ladle in a layer of mashed potatoes approx 3/8ths of an inch of thick. Next, add some Pot Roast — carrots, onions and all. Include plenty of sauce/gravy. Add a small dose of Spinach or Peas at the top (or serve on the side if preferred.) A typical plate of Pot Roast, mashed potatoes, and Peas should make 3 Sliders. But 6, if the rolls are puny. Best served warm.

• Like 5

They might be not unique, but they are tasty.

1 - Ciabatta bread , Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon ( for the girls, I hate seafood).

2 - Whole Wheat Bun, Egg Salade, Hard boiled Egg sliced, Strips Of Crispy Bacon, Parsly.

3 - Whole Wheat Bun, Sauerkraut ( uncooked) , Mustard Mayonase, Red Kidney Beans ( Warm), A Bratwurst ( Whole) Serve with some fries. Add Jalapeno Pepper Slices if desired.

4 - Ciabatta , Warm Goat Cheese , Dripped With Honey, Pine Nuts, Warm Apple Slices and Bacon.

5 - On a Normal Sandwich, Green Pesto, Aged Cheese, Salami, grill the sandwich.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 3

Questions for April 22nd (suggested by erifnogard): Do you like/dislike olives AND mushrooms? Is it the taste or the texture??
  • Like 5

I rather like olives, the saltiness is wonderful.

Mushrooms on the other hand, I don't care one way or the other about the taste, but the texture is off-putting for me.

• Like 2

Greek Inspired Burger

Burger:

1 lb Ground Lamb

1 lb Ground Beef

Small Onion

4 cloves minced Garlic

1 tsp Oregano

1 tsp ground Cumin

1 tsp Marjoram

1 tsp Thyme

1 tsp Black Pepper

1/4 to 1/2 tsp Salt (I never actually measure)

Sauce:

1 Cup plain Greek Yogurt

1 Cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 to 1/2 cup crumbled Feta Cheese (use the good goat stuff from the fancy case)

1/2 tsp Thyme

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp salt

Mint Pesto:

1 Garlic Clove, minced

1/4 cup Pine Nuts

1 cup lightly packed Mint Leaves

1/4 cup Olive Oil

3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (use the good stuff and grate it yourself)

1 Tblsp Hot Water

Bread:

Small Pita/Flat bread, I use these:

91CSyFWM72L._SY355_.jpg

Fixings:

Sliced Tomato

Romaine Lettuce Leaves

Get the grill going (use a real grill too, wood or charcoal; gas grills just don't cut it).  Mix up the burger ingredients and form into 6 to 8 patties.  Let rest.

Mix the sauce ingredients together by hand.  Ensure that you leave the cucumbers a bit chunky (1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks).

Throw a chunk of apple or cherry wood on the hot coals, then put the burgers on the grill and cover.

In a food processor, mince the garlic for the pesto then add the pine nuts, mint, and salt and spin until finely chopped. Add the oil slowly through the feed tube while the blades are running.  Add the cheese and hot water and process until it is well blended.

Flip the burgers.  Wait a few minutes until the burgers are nearly done, then grill the flat bread until it starts to brown on each side.

Compose as follows: Spread pesto on the bottom lobe of the flat bread. Add a burger.  Add a tomato slice.  Top with the yogurt sauce.   Add lettuce if desired.  Serve with lots of napkins and a nice red wine.

• Like 8

Questions for April 22nd (suggested by erifnogard): Do you like/dislike olives AND mushrooms? Is it the taste or the texture??

Absolutely love them both.  Always and anyways.  As a kid my mother would put a whole can of black olives in my Christmas stocking.  Those olives never made until noon on Christmas day.

• Like 5