Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting to Know Each Other - April 2016

Question for April 29th: What is your oldest miniature; the very first one you can remember?

Corollary: Do you still have it?

The HeroQuest minis from the core boxed set. I don't remember which one I painted first, but I've still got (most) of that original set.

If board games don't count, then my first mini was an Imperial Cruiser from GW's Battlefleet Gothic.

• Like 5

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was a set of Warhammer orcs, bought in ~2009. Badly painted. Still have them, they get used probably every second game session. They've stood in for everything from actual orcs to rats to grells. They generally don't get to be the big bad monsters (I have some cooler minis that get used for those roles) but they do get out frequently so it's all good.

(I stopped painting in early 2010 and didn't pick it up again until last summer. I'm a total noob at this hobby. I honestly don't remember if I'd painted any minis again before backing Bones 3. :lol: )

• Like 1

N.B.: Klarg's interpretation is correct. Interpretations limiting the answer to metal minis as opposed to including Legos men, or Army men, or Revell/Airfix soldier boxes, etc. are neither right nor wrong. It is part of the question. How broadly to define 'miniature' is appropriate to the answers and part of what we are getting to know about each other.

Carry on.

• Like 2

Oh.

Hell, in that case, the FIRST miniatures I can remember owning were the ones I rambled on about in my yammer about the Strange Change machine...

21801ebb23f5be0ebf31cce56746af60.jpg

• Like 4

My first miniature was included in the Ral Partha Paint Kit, which had 8 or 10 colors.  I was 16, and this was one of my Christmas presants. It was a plate-mail clad warrior sporting a shield with a knotwork design and weilding a mace.  I painted him up as the included instructions suggested, which involved gold armor and I think blue for his cape.

I haven't seen that miniature in a long time.  My guess is that I traded him for another mini I wanted to paint.

I really should look him up on Iron Wind Metals' site and get another copy.

• Like 1

it is either a wizard or this terribly sad giant:

That's an old Frost Giant; I've got him.

Question for April 29th: What is your oldest miniature; the very first one you can remember?

Honourable mention: LEGO Red Classic Spaceman

sp005.jpg

From my 918 Space Transport (Christmas 1978 or 1979)

918_Space_Transport.jpg

In this case, I don't have it anymore. [sigh of nostalgia]

I used to have that!!

Actually, I still might.....

My answer my earlier still stands; I was interpreting 'oldest' as 'had for the longest/first one(s) ever purchased'. 

I think I actually have older figures than the boxed set I mentioned, but I've had that set the longest (since I was 10-ish).

• Like 3

First one that I owned was probably a Wizards of the coast doomdreamer.

I started running 4e for my friends at my local surly game store.

One of the events you got a free set of minis for running it.

Either that, or it was my reaper one.Jerach, Undead hunter was my first one I painted. 

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/jerach/sku-down/03148

I still have, and still use both. However, due to not knowing enough about dullcote or matte medium, has been completely repainted.

So no one will know how bad I originally was at painting.

Though there are still some terrible ones in my collection that haven't had a new coat of paint on them from 2010.

....wow. I suppose it was around 2010 when I started collecting.

Edited by Adept Legacy
  • Like 1

Question for April 29th: What is your oldest miniature; the very first one you can remember?Corollary: Do you still have it?

Grenadier AD&D set 2007: Females, bought around 1980.

I no longer have any of my childhood miniatures.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

Some of those green army men I painted with Testors Enamels.

Hmm... a couple might be in a box somewhere in the house.

• Like 1

A GW wood elf archer-plastic. He came in a box with five buddies. I no longer have the buddies (I painted them all at the same time) but I do have one...I like to show him to folks who say they could never match my skill level.

Side note-I had been helping my ex assemble GW vampire counts for a while but hadn't been allowed to paint them because he didn't believe I could do it. I really wanted to try but since he wasn't going to risk me destroying his figures I just went and bought some for myself. When I quickly surpassed his skill level he stopped painting.....

• Like 5

AQ28: does          it really?

AQ29: I'm not sure which one is my earliest, I didn't start collecting minis until about 8 years ago, so not that old.

Edited by LordJosh
  • Like 1

Ral Partha high elf axeman. Axeelf. Whatever. Bought it somewhere around late 70s, or 1980, had no idea what D&D was. Just thought it was so much cooler than my plastic army men and star wars plastic dudes. I was in 4th or 5th grade.

Yes, though he's a misshapen lump of lead, mostly.

1st_Meier.JPG

• Like 4

A Robot. And yes.

I had forgotten about this guy. But recently he was found just hanging out on a closet shelf in a house my folks once owned.

(A D12 and a Warlord goblin are included for scale.)

image_zpsadvdp2tg.jpeg

I actually built this 'mini' a long time ago. I think I was a single digit age. My mom came home with a random grab bag of assorted wooden parts—a lot of them were checkers. I don't remember what she did with the rest of them but she let me pick a few. And they got glued together to form a barrel bodied robot. Maybe a little bit inspired by the Lost in Space Robot (although I don't remember watching that show until much later in reruns).

He served as the berserk robot that the army men needed to hunt, or the top secret robot they needed to guard, and one time he pulled duty as the reactor core for their base.

Finding him was what inspired the question for the 29th.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4