While shopping in my local Dollar Tree store this week, I noticed these spirograph-like party favors that had some unusual gears in them.  I thought I'd do a quick post here just to give folks a heads-up.

The gears come in two sizes and you get four in each pack.  They looked very naturalistic to me, like something an Elf might carve or create.  I'm not sure what I will use these for, but thought they'd be a good thing to have tucked away for just the right project.  I think they'd look really cool painted up like wood. I know some of you could probably make use of them for bases, or part of a  scenic base.

As I look at them, I also realize they might also serve as machinery for some sort of alien or other weird tech.IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

• Like 20

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Lol...I bought them without any idea of what I was going to do with them; but since I posted the picture of them, I've found myself starting to plan a whole elf woodworker building with various half finished wood sculptures and fancy decorations, and lumber piled about...just so I can include these gears in a pile in a corner somewhere. :)

• Like 3

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Lol...I bought them without any idea of what I was going to do with them; but since I posted the picture of them, I've found myself starting to plan a whole elf woodworker building with various half finished wood sculptures and fancy decorations, and lumber piled about...just so I can include these gears in a pile in a corner somewhere. :)

An "organic saw mill"

When I read your post I though, Gears and tool that are grown then altered to fit the needs. The opposite being forged metal, liken to factory assembly lines.

• Like 2

you could use it as a scifi control panel, with the center done as energy arcing.

Edit: like those things over sleeping Borg.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Wow, cool ideas! Who knew they had so many uses!? I may need to go back and get some more packs. :)

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      All projects have a starting point and this one is no exception (Guess I've been spending too much time at Lowe's lately). It all started with a small bits bag containing a gun platform for only a buck. I didn't know what it was but I figured I could find a use for it, especially at that price. Try as I might I simply couldn't identify the piece, but my gaming group had me covered. Almost as soon as I posted a picture to the chat I had my answer.

A 2nd edition assault cannon, perhaps of the sentinel variety. A quick Google search confirmed just that, but not definitively. Naturally I had a decision to make, what to do with a piece like that?

Well I have to admit though I prefer the current look of sentinels I also kinda wanted one of the older designs. I've never had the luck to find a decent one at a fair price however (I really wish I could fine a decently priced "egg on legs" too). This single bit made the decision for me, it was time to scratch build one. 

First step was creating the bulk of the piece. Though I know it'll never play officially I decided to attempt to hit the 80% GW mark anyway. Unfortunately I completely forgot to take a picture of the internal structure comprised of sprue supports, they're in there though. I also grabbed a vehicle commander's torso and glued it in place.

The weapon needed a bit of leveling so I test fitted it using a piece off an MDF sprue. It isn't GW but it did a better job, so that's what I used.

Now for the biggest hurdle the legs. I found a couple of sprue pieces glued together not only gave them the necessary bulk but also proved surprisingly strong. A bit of rounded plastic was enough to finish the top piece of leg.

The bottom legs proved trickier. I found it almost impossible to build them without also creating and attaching the feet. So I did just that using the same techniques as before. That however brought about another problem. Though the legs were the same size their angles were not so I needed to build up the base to accommodate the blunder. 

Apologies but this is the only picture of these steps, guess I was too busy trying to make it work.

I felt the legs needed a little something more. So I began adding coverings over the sprue. This is probably where 80% GW went out the window but maybe not.

It also received it's first couple of bits. In the form of some armor and the arm for a searchlight. 

Now it was time to really hit it with some bits. It looks a little busy but I really like it and it was a way to use some bits I simply had no other use for. 

Then of course it was time to break out the greenstuff. I gap filled and generally just cleaned up some of my seams. 

And here it is in comparison to a modern sentinel. Not too shabby, at least with my skill set. I may have actually kept it 80% GW too. 

I'll leave everything to cure and hopefully I'll be able to prime and paint it soon. Though I have heard that our winter heatwave is over, so priming may have to wait awhile.
    • By Chris Palmer
      I was in my local Dollar Tree today and found some goodies I thought others might be interested in.

First were these Candy & Cupcake scenery pieces in their fairy garden section.  I often run Christmas themed games around the holidays and I thought these would make great structures to help build a Santa's Village set-up.  Would also be neat for a Fantasy setting based on Hansel & Gretel...

Another find from the Fairy Garden section, was this leaf based table and chair.  Just the thing for an Elf Village...

I also picked up these games as I thought the translucent hex pieces and unusually shaped portal-like bases would have multiple possibilities for basing or terrain building.

• By Maledrakh
      #151 Elf Swordswoman of some sort. Maybe a straight-up fighter?

From the "Elves" subset.
    • By Maledrakh
      #153 Elf Swordswoman of some sort. Maybe a paladin?

IRL, the Cape has some nice shading going on, but it does not show up in the washed out pictures. All the minis look better when not magnified as in the pictures.
      25mm bases. Not my most inspired work.
    • By Lidless Eye
      I figured it was time to work on some Elves.  They're definitely the smallest part of my painted collection.

The first batch is all from Reaper Miniatures.  

These are the metal ones:

The Drow who snuck in (from the box of Goodwill, no less)

More from Reaper, but this time in Bones:

And the others.  Mostly Stonehaven

• Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)