Creating a black with red tint

Hi,

Is there a way to create a black with red hue/tint? I try using a wood-stained brown with a secret weapon dried blood wash to get the color but end up with a lighter brown. Then I try Secret weapon ruby wash and end up with a gloss brown. I was thinking of use nightmare black to mute it back down but I puzzled if my idea would work?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet with a single color is probably something like Mahogany Brown.

For a two-color mix, Pure Black plus a bit of Red Shadow is where I would start. (Actually, I'd start with Red Liner, but that isn't currently available.)

But you're probably better off using a true black for the shadows and tinting the highlights with a bit of red.

• Like 2

Hi,

Is there a way to create a black with red hue/tint? I try using a wood-stained brown with a secret weapon dried blood wash to get the color but end up with a lighter brown. Then I try Secret weapon ruby wash and end up with a gloss brown. I was thinking of use nightmare black to mute it back down but I puzzled if my idea would work?

Go check out this tutorial on painting black, by Massive Voodoo. It's a fantastic write-up and very eye-opening on how to paint different hues of blacks.

• Like 2

If you want a true red highlight (one that moves with the light), about the only option I can think of is glazing pure black with interference red paint.

If you go this route, make sure it's a very thin glaze, since interference colors show up brilliantly against a black base color.

• Like 3

I know there was a Blood Black paint from the Pro-Paint line that I think would suit your needs. I can't remember if it was transitioned to the Master Series line though.

The Egg

You might be thinking of Aged Red Brick. I have the whole Pro Paint line on spreadsheet... no Blood Black (there is a Blood Red, but it's brighter than Aged Brick).

I think the Red Liner (I still have an old bottle) is the darkest red Reaper made. Pro Aged Red Brick is close...

9235 Red Shadow is really close to Red Liner (I just looked). Add a bit of black to that to make an ultradark red.

• Like 1

Yeah, Red Liner is amazing. I love the stuff. 

If I was going to make a dark dark reddish black and didn't have Red Liner, I'd start with my darkest red and add something like a very dark brown (walnut brown or brown black) a little at a time to get to where I wanted.

I think the Red Liner (I still have an old bottle) is the darkest red Reaper made. Pro Aged Red Brick is close...

9235 Red Shadow is really close to Red Liner (I just looked). Add a bit of black to that to make an ultradark red.

If I was going to make a dark dark reddish black and didn't have Red Liner, I'd start with my darkest red and add something like a very dark brown (walnut brown or brown black) a little at a time to get to where I wanted.

:ph34r:

::P:

• Like 1

Ahh.  Hmm, I like a lot of the ideas posted (working on checking out the tutorial).  My method would be to lay down a good basecoat of a warm red (closer to orange than violet on the spectrum)--something a little brighter than a brick or blood, almost vermillion.  Then go over with a wash and/or ink of black or deepest brown--lightly so that only the deepest recesses are darkened significantly.  Repeat til it's as dark as you need.  Should be similar to the boots on Solitaire (though I imagine those are highlighted from dark to light, rather than washed darker)--that deep, is-it-red-or-black shade.

• Like 1

I learned a trick from a watercolor book. You use the complimentary contrasting color (opposite on the color wheel) to darken the color you want. Use pure black to get it darker though because the darkest you'll get mixing like that is going to be dark brown. So mix a red and green at maybe 2:1 (more red) until it's darkish then add a bit of black. The darker the starting colors are the less you have to mix. So a deep forest green and a deep crimson red will likely get you there faster with less black needed. Hopefully it works. Going really dark like that is hard, tricky, and typically wasteful.

• Like 1

I would try something like corporea black, but instead of sapphire blue, use a red. I think that would be 3 red to 1 walnut?

Edited by lexomatic