Sign in to follow this  
vulture

Undersea reef game board (WIP)

This is a tile based board for minis with an underwater reef theme. I have made the tiles magnetic; the photo is of the board built on my refrigerator. I sculpted a bunch of coral sections in sculpy, including some giant soft corrals. Finer decoration (green stuff sculpts of starfish and that type of thing) will be done after paint/ sealant is applied.

post-8405-0-98054900-1459567005_thumb.jpg

Suggestions would be welcome. I plan on adding some reaper aquatic animals and the statue of dagon as the project develops.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 19

O.0 wow. Good sir that is most impressive. That is some amazing terrain. Are you using rare earth magnets? What size is each tile? How much do they roughly weigh? I can not wait to see the progress on this project.

• Like 1

I am using laser cut 120mm magnet sheets , mounted on cork-board, coated with wood filler. They are very light yet virtually impossible to slide once attached.

post-8405-0-94333900-1459577866.jpg

I have started to prime the tiles using a sample of house paint.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 9

I agree; i.e., the coral is MOST IMPRESSIVEBEAUTIFULLY sculpted. You might try an pet shop with an aquarium section for your plants...you might get some ideas for colors as well. In any case, keep up the SPLENDID WORK!

• Like 2

Yep and some of the Reaper aquatic familiars, sharks, ray etc...

A treasure chest, some old weapons?

• Like 4

Thanks peeps! :blush:

Those are some great ideas!

I had forgotten about the devil ray - a small school of them would be cool (and dangerous)

I have been designing ideas for "kelp" and i think I have three solid options, all of which will see some action:

1) As Malefectus suggested, I found some aquarium plants with long interesting "stems"

2) wire bag ties cut in to the shape of long kelp leaves and twisted together to make the classic kelp stalk

3) lichens painted red look remarkably like that curly red seaweed

I have had my eye on the kraken from KS2 - I'm curious if the base could be used as a shipwreck section?

The coral and shipwreck golem will make awesome, near permanent, residents of the board

• Like 6

Quick update:

post-8405-0-81719800-1459901370_thumb.jpg

I completed the grey house paint "prime" and I have started putting down the "base coat" of the sandy bottom. I will be doing most of the initial painting of the seafloor using the foam from a blisterpack sponge brush, to enhance texturing. The plan is to get successively brighter to a tan sandy color.

• Like 10

Thanks guys! I'm working hard on the first painting steps.

post-8405-0-59234500-1460085692.jpg

I sponged on a few layers of paint and did some dark lining. It leaves a lot to be desired, bit its a good starting point for all that real estate.

• Like 12

I have more recent shots - I added some bright base colors but I want to tone them waaaaaaay down before I share them.

Additionally, I hit a roadblock - I need to do some washes, which are impossible when mounted vertically, and I would like to do them all together to maintain unity.

Ultimately the board needs to sit flat anyhow, so I sourced a spare end table of the appropriate dimensions and a can of magnetic paint. with those items I should be able to turn it in to a proper board.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1890786242/a-place-2-play-mega-terrain-tiles?ref=discovery_category_newest

About
       aPlace2Play Mega Terrain Tiles combine multiple tiles from our award-winning Terrain Tile system, to allow larger areas of coverage without compromising any of the design features and beauty of the original sets. 
      Mega Tiles have been designed to give you bigger areas of coverage to reduce the time of set up for your map. Each Mega Tile set consists of a variety of tile combinations, featuring 7-hex, 5-hex, 4-hex, 3-hex and even 2-hex tile groups, with variations of the mix of tiles being used to maximize the versatility in each set. 
        Our Mega terrain tiles are crafted with the highest quality material and a strong coating to stand up to repeated use. Each set is precision laser cut giving you a secure interlocking connection. And best of all the strong coating is dry erasable giving you the option to write directly on the tile surface.  And, when you’re finished, simply wipe off your tiles and they are ready for your next adventure. The possibilities of what you can create are limited only by your imagination and now you can make it Bigger and Faster with the Mega Tile sets. 
      The Mega tile sets can be used alone or can be combined with our single hex tiles for maximum versatility and creativity.
      Our first release in the Mega Terrain Tile series is the  Road set which includes roads and a few trees. When you play your game using a traditionally printed map or board, the road is the same each time you play, but, when used with aPlace2Play terrain map system, you can create the direction your road will take; whether you want a straight direct route to get there quickly, or a road with Y turns or crossroads, the choice is yours.  Setup is faster than ever with the addition of the Mega Terrain Tile Road Set. 
      Our Second release in the Mega Terrain Tile series is the Shore Set which includes a variety of water and shoreline options. The beauty of the open ocean with the transition to beach makes this an excellent addition to your high seas adventures. This tile set gives you a stunning beach to set your adventures to life. 
      Our Third release in the Mega Terrain Tile series is the Stars Set. In this set you will have a variety of stars in different size, shapes, and colors. With this variety of large stars, small stars, dying stars and so much more you can create an awesome imagery for your map. Whether you are looking for a white dwarf or a red giant, this set allows you a wide range of options and can be placed on you map in a single piece, making your set up a breeze. With these tiles and YOUR creativity, your game board will certainly be something to admire. 
      Our Fourth release in the Mega Terrain Tile series is the  Grass Fill. If you are looking for open areas to fill your map with, then this is the set for you.  On the front and back sides of this Terrain Set is the Green Grass File from our Land Series. The Grass Fill Tile set is available in our Mega Tile format or in our original 2.5" hex cut.  Grab one of each for greater versatility in your map design. 
        Our Fifth release in the Mega Terrain Tile series is the Sand Fill.  The front and back of each terrain tile has the Sand Fill from our Shore set, to give maximum coverage in your map. Would you like to extend the area of your Shore with a larger more expansive beach?  If so, then this is the set for you. The Sand Fill set is being made available in both the Mega Terrain Tiles and the original 2.5” tile format.  So, whether you are looking to expand the beach on your Shoreline or if you are staging one of the famous beach landing battlefields at Normandy you can make your scenario come to life with this Sand Fill set. 
        Our Sixth release in the Mega Terrain Tile series is the Trees & Hedges set. With the addition of the Mega Terrain Tile Trees and Hedges set, creating a wooded area is a breeze or how about a hedge row? With the new Mega Terrain tiles, set up is  fast and easier than ever.  Use Mega Terrain Tiles with the existing Trees & Hedge set to create the perfect cover for your gaming scenario. 

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/games06/easy-dungeon-seamless-magnetic-dungeon-tiles?ref=discovery

About
      The Easy Dungeon is designed to make the gaming experience realistic, fun and engaging without having to spend a lot of money to do it. All this while keeping faith with the fundamental principle of role playing: never knowing what will be a few steps ahead! With the Easy Dungeon system you can build corridors, alleys, rooms progressively as the DM unravels the adventure.
      Here follows the pledges and the add-ons you can select. If unlocked, you'll also receive all the free stretch goals related to the pledge you choose.

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      This goes live today (i'll add a link when it does)

(almost complete pre-production image, minor changes possible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkFwekye_zQ
      unboxing of the game

(now if you want tiles for a dungeon crawl this looks a good deal)

this is a reprint of the well regarded boardgame  Caustrophobia (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia) and it's first expansion with all new art assets and minis (unpainted)

Monolith has already manufactured the game so it will be limited to 10,000 copies *I;ve asked and there are spares to cope with loss/damage during delivery)and deliveries are scheduled for January so minimal risk so ideal is you want to KS but worry about getting stung (but on the other hand if you don't like KS as a shop probably not for you)
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      What is the DMB Game Tile System
      The DMB Game Tile System is a Modular system that allows you to build anything from single encounters to sprawling tabletop scenes. The system is designed to be used for any game you want to play from Dungeons & Dragons to Frostgrave, Warhammer and beyond.   The Tiles are Fully Modular, with the walls and floor separate from each other so you can create any layout you want to. They are available hand painted, finished, and felted by our studio painters or if you prefer they are available unpainted as well.
      2x2 Floor Tile and 4 Block Wall Tile. All of our Tiles are 1/2 of an inch thick, making them strong, durable and compatible with other major tile systems already out there. 
      Each individual square is 1 inch x 1 inch making a standard 2x2 tile 2 inches square and a crossroads 6 inches x 6inches.
      The walls are 1.5 inches tall, and one row of bricks is the same thickness as the floor tile, which gives stability and uniformity across the range.
      Here is an example of the type of layouts you can create with one of our Core Sets.
      This layout can be made from a Core Set and is available as a room set as well, the Large Entry Room Set. What is the Kickstarter for?
      5 Years ago we started making 3D Dungeon Tiles. We got ourselves some of the Hirst arts moulds (yes we are fully licensed by Bruce to use his Catlemolds ) and created some masters then we made our very first silicone mould and poured our first Cracked Flagstone 2x2 floor tile.
      Since then we have released just under 900 different tiles in one form or another, in different finishes and different sizes. 
      We have always stuck to using the original resin infused plaster that we started with, that is until now!  
      We have already transferred our most popular set, the Cracked Flagstone, and Gothic Wall Dungeon Set, to make sure its possible, but we have lots more we want to do. 
      This is what the bare resin pieces look like, and how the tiles will look if an unpainted option is chosen. Now we want to transfer the entire range of 900 tiles into Resin!
      We have decided to move to Resin for a few reasons but the main ones are:
      Durability - Plaster is great but it's fragile. You can throw the resin tiles in your bag and carry them to your game session or club night without chipping or breaking them. Weight - Plaster is heavy... Resin Less so... Detail - The resin picks up a lot more detail than the paster, cracks are clearer and surface detail is sharper. We are also able to cast thinner smaller items, like plates, small jugs, and mugs, graveyard fences and iron grates, things that disintegrate if cast in plaster. Durability - This is really important if you are as clumsy as I am... Drop a plaster piece from a table to the floor and its likely to chip or even shatter. The Resin pieces can be run over by a car and survive. Customisation - The plaster tiles cant be customised with magnets or pinned items in the same way that the Resin can, and someone mentioned LED lights to me as well.. which is now possible with Resin, as it can be drilled and filled, unlike the Plaster which just explodes... Paint & Finish improvements - The resin takes paint better than the plaster, which has a tendency to absorb the moisture, and give a chalky spotty finish. The resin paints up beautifully and holds the paint, and varnish perfectly. and finally Durability - I think you probably get the point by now... We have a more detailed explanation about why we are changing from Plaster to Resin a bit further down, but we wanted to get straight into the nitty gritty of whats on offer and what you can get.
      There will also be an FAQ at the bottom of the page that we have popped a few of the questions we think we will get asked the most, but we will be expanding it as the campaign rolls on. So without further ado here is what you can get if you back the DMB Game Tile System.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 4 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)