• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently undercoating all of the wood that I want to look like wood with slightly watered down Reaper brown liner. It is looking good but omg this stuff drinks the liner! It is so detailed and has so many cracks and crevices it just sucks the liner in. I am going to need to order brown liner in bulk. I am going to need more anyway as I have DDS2 to paint yet as well as Bones 3 coming later this year.

Are they resin models?

If so, you can prime as you would metal. ..

Suggest Grey liner cut 50% through an airbrush for DDS2.

Worked wonders on the terrain parts for me. ..

• Like 3

Wow those buildings are impressive.  I will have to keep that website in the back of my mind.  Might be cheaper to grab some of those rather than going with DFs city line.  Can't wait to see what you do with them!

• Like 1

These look like they're going to wear out a brush or two. They also look like they're going to turn out awesome!

Funny you should mention that! I will probably not be using my "good" brushes on these until it gets down to the fine detail stuff. Trying to push paint in between the stones and stuff would tear up my good brushes. On the stuff like the bucket, wagon wheel, windows, shutters, etc, my good brushes will be fine. And the furniture will be fine. I don't tend to use my good brushes for basecoating, washes, and stuff like that anyway. There are so many details, my brushes might wear out just from use by the time I am finished with everything!

Are they resin models?

If so, you can prime as you would metal. ..

Suggest Grey liner cut 50% through an airbrush for DDS2.

Worked wonders on the terrain parts for me. ..

Yes, they are resin. I did wash it and then prime with my spray on primer just as I do with the rest of my models. I used a white primer. I was using the brown liner to basecoat my brown areas and seep down into the cracks so when drybrushing shades of brown, the wood grain will still stand out. The carved details are quite deep which should hold detail as it is painted.

• Like 1

Anyway, so I am going to paint up the little cottage first. I want to paint it up and then mount it on a (probably square) board and then do a little flagstone walkway, some flowers, trees, maybe a little garden. So if anyone knows where to get tiny animals like little birds, bunnies, butterflies, etc, I'd be interested. I was taught how to make paper butterflies but I haven't tried that yet.

DGS Games has a line of 32mm minis for a game called "Freeblade". One of them, "Animal Swarm", is actually a set of critters all meant to be glued to one big base. There is a deer, a fox, a skunk, a rabbit, and a squirrel.

• Like 4

DGS Games has a line of 32mm minis for a game called "Freeblade". One of them, "Animal Swarm", is actually a set of critters all meant to be glued to one big base. There is a deer, a fox, a skunk, a rabbit, and a squirrel.

Thanks! I had a look and they are pretty cool! I ordered 3 different familiar packs and Dai-Mongar has some crazy cat lady cats for me. That deer is really neat. Another site to add to my list! I need some little birds yet.

• Like 1

I got a bit distracted this morning. I found out I am going to be a Mimi again twice over! My oldest son and his wife are having TWINS!

Back on topic. I did get to work on my little cottage. I did a dry brush with P3 Umbral Umber then did a wash with dark wash. I then did dry brushes with Idrian Flesh, Rucksack Tan, and Mennoth White Base (all P3) and then a soft wash. I am pretty pleased with how this turned out.

I am getting ready to start interior walls and decided to paint the door fixtures black. I am trying to decide whether to paint the windows pale blue or grey on the inside.

Here are pictures of the wood painted. It is looking a little sloppy but that will get cleaned up.

post-14071-0-25649700-1459931211_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-27015800-1459931233_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-43347400-1459931252_thumb.jpg

C&C welcome!

• Like 18

I got a bit distracted this morning. I found out I am going to be a Mimi again twice over! My oldest son and his wife are having TWINS!

Back on topic. I did get to work on my little cottage. I did a dry brush with P3 Umbral Umber then did a wash with dark wash. I then did dry brushes with Idrian Flesh, Rucksack Tan, and Mennoth White Base (all P3) and then a soft wash. I am pretty pleased with how this turned out.

I am getting ready to start interior walls and decided to paint the door fixtures black. I am trying to decide whether to paint the windows pale blue or grey on the inside.

Here are pictures of the wood painted. It is looking a little sloppy but that will get cleaned up.

Cottage wood 1.jpg

Cottage wood 2.jpg

Cottage wood 3.jpg

C&C welcome!

Yeah for You!

That mean another trip back here?

I think that the Grey would be better on the inside as the inside of the cottage would be darker than the outside. .

• Like 2

Yeah for You!

That mean another trip back here?

I think that the Grey would be better on the inside as the inside of the cottage would be darker than the outside. .

It actually does but my daughter is moving her wedding up to May next year instead of the following year so we can make one trip to see babies and attend the wedding. So the babies will be a few months old but plane tickets are too expensive to make 2 trips a year! Unless we win the lottery! Ha!

Now see, that is why I was thinking of using pale blue on the inside windows like you would be seeing sky if you were inside looking out. I have seen some really well done ones where they make a yellowish glow on the outside windows and around the door like inside firelight is shining through but to me, that would make it look like it was night time.

So how would pale blue on the inside and a greyish on the outside? I also thought for the top window on the roof of trying to paint like a little candle in the window with a little glow. I figured the upstairs loft area would be darker since it only has the one window. That may not be good though since they wouldn't put a candle in the window where daylight was coming in.

Edited by Pochi
  • Like 4

Eee! :wub: Congratulations to you all!

Now see, that is why I was thinking of using pale blue on the inside windows like you would be seeing sky if you were inside looking out. I have seen some really well done ones where they make a yellowish glow on the outside windows and around the door like inside firelight is shining through but to me, that would make it look like it was night time.

So how would pale blue on the inside and a greyish on the outside? I also thought for the top window on the roof of trying to paint like a little candle in the window with a little glow. I figured the upstairs loft area would be darker since it only has the one window. That may not be good though since they wouldn't put a candle in the window where daylight was coming in.

I don't see why the house has to be perfectly consistent from inside to outside. 

What about painting two sides of its exterior slightly shadowy with yellow / candle windows and two sides daylight?  That way it can be used in both situations and looks a little more shaded.

• Like 3

Alright. There are a couple areas where the "plaster" on the interior has crumbled exposing the stonework. I chose colors for the stones and painted those in. I painted a pale grey in between the stones first for the mortar. I don't know if you can really tell in the photos. We'll see how the exterior goes. I went ahead and did all of the mortar on the exterior since that won't rub off with me handling it.

For the walls, I painted them with P3 Mennoth White base. I then did a soft wash. I tried drybrushing one wall with Mennoth Highlight but hated how it looked so after it dried, I repainted with the base color and rewashed it. I was fairly liberal with the wash especially in the corners and around the broken plaster as I imagine there is some water damage in that area.

For the windows I did a pale blue, then a blue ink around the edges, then squiggled pale blue diagonally in each pain then streaked with white. It is not exactly what I had imagined but I don't hate it. I did learn that I need to do the window panes FIRST next time as I had to go back and touch up on the frames where I accidentally touched with paint or was too liberal with ink. Multiple bad words were uttered.

I did the door fixtures with black and I like it. The only thing, I don't think you can see the bolts (is that what would be called?) that fasten them to the door. Should I do a tiny highlight with a grey on the tops of the bolts and across the top of the strips? I am unsure as I don't believe this would be a shiny metal. Perhaps a tiny dab of rust instead?

This is the first major bit of resin I have ever really painted. I want to seal the interior before I start on the exterior in earnest. Do I seal it the same as I would a mini? My usual sealing technique for a mini is for tabletop (ie. to be played with) to use one coat of Vallejo gloss varnish. I let that dry and then do one coat of Vallejo matte varnish to cut the shine and give it another layer of protection. For simply shelf minis, I cut out the gloss coat. This will probably see some table time. Would the gloss then matte be fine? Suggestions are welcome and I will also be checking some sites too!

I am anxious to start on the exterior but may have to start furniture while I wait for the interior to dry depending on what I decide for the sealing method.

C&C welcome!

post-14071-0-64916300-1460006943_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-84872800-1460006961_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-88698500-1460006976_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

This is really shaping up nicely and you're going along at a good pace.  I really like the way you did the wood-it looks very natural.

Big time congratulations to you!  The arrival of twins and a wedding, both such joyous occasions!  

Thank you! I was happy with the wood as well! Thanks for the congrats as well! This last year was busy as we added our first three grandbabies to the family. Two in May (not twins) and the 3rd in November. I am still in shock over the twin announcement from yesterday!

I looked at pictures of wrought iron fixtures and while they weren't shiny, there was a bit of a grey sheen on the tops of the bolts in the pictures I was looking at so I think I will do that. It will give a little definition and make them more visible I think. I will think about rust for the outside. We'll see. I didn't run into any rusty pictures while I looked.

Also, browsing several different forums and tutorial pages, looks like either Dull-cote or Vallejo gloss/matte are the recommended sealers so luckily, I have all of those! While I am tempted to spray it, the weather here has been funky and I don't want to get the "frosted" effect that I heard can sometimes happen with humidity so I am going to gloss and then matte the interior. I may go ahead and paint the exterior though first because I am really itching to paint it! A day each for drying the sealers takes 2 days away from my painting! (I probably don't need that much drying time but would rather be safe than sorry!)

• Like 2