I will definetly have a WIP for it. When I get it...I got the well and the windmill too. I'm going to be doing a farm diorama with them. So excited.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I've been on the look out for just this type of terrain and don't think I would have known about this company without this WIP.

The Vallejo verdigris paint is pretty cool. Since I don't have that I use this tutorial for my verdigris http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/blog/painting-aged-patina-bronze/

• Like 5

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will definetly have a WIP for it. When I get it...I got the well and the windmill too. I'm going to be doing a farm diorama with them. So excited.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I've been on the look out for just this type of terrain and don't think I would have known about this company without this WIP.

The Vallejo verdigris paint is pretty cool. Since I don't have that I use this tutorial for my verdigris http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/blog/painting-aged-patina-bronze/

Cool tutorial! I have seen other people using shades of green to do theirs and admired their work. Since I was doing such a small area, I just decided to try the Verdigris paint. I am bookmarking that tutorial and will definitely try that in the future!

I can't wait to see your WIP! I want all of their buildings but have neither the space nor the deep pockets to get everything. Not all at once anyway!

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I am so glad I went with the worn weathered shingles instead of painting them blue. I have seen others done blue and thought it was pretty but I am so happy with how my shingles turned out.

I am waiting for my matt varnish to be completely sure it is dry. Then I am going to add the fine green turf in between the cracks and add the grass and flowers. I am on the hunt for what I am going to base it on so I can start fixing that up.

I had an idea. I thought it might be cute to do up possibly Bailey with a few conversions and paint her in a red cloak. Maybe there is a wolf peeking around the corner....Haha! I might do it for pictures anyway!

I will do another update with pictures after everything is dry and I get started on adding the goodies!

• Like 5

Cool tutorial! I have seen other people using shades of green to do theirs and admired their work. Since I was doing such a small area, I just decided to try the Verdigris paint. I am bookmarking that tutorial and will definitely try that in the future!

I can't wait to see your WIP! I want all of their buildings but have neither the space nor the deep pockets to get everything. Not all at once anyway!

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I am so glad I went with the worn weathered shingles instead of painting them blue. I have seen others done blue and thought it was pretty but I am so happy with how my shingles turned out.

I am waiting for my matt varnish to be completely sure it is dry. Then I am going to add the fine green turf in between the cracks and add the grass and flowers. I am on the hunt for what I am going to base it on so I can start fixing that up.

I had an idea. I thought it might be cute to do up possibly Bailey with a few conversions and paint her in a red cloak. Maybe there is a wolf peeking around the corner....Haha! I might do it for pictures anyway!

I will do another update with pictures after everything is dry and I get started on adding the goodies!

I'd love to have them all...but where on earth would I store them. Lol. Even now, I'm looking around going ok this diorama should fit in my cabinet but then I have dragons don't share 2 and Mr. big elf 5 head coming...I'm gonna need a bigger house.

Yes, little red Bailey and the big bad wolf would be awesome!

• Like 4

Ok, so I found some cork tiles that I plan on basing the cottage on. I want to have a little yard with a garden and things.

I received a lovely parcel in the mail today from New Zealand with cats that were rescued from the pet hoarder, Edna the crazy cat lady. There are also a couple tortoises, some meerkats (lol) and a Sophie! (Sophie won't be residing at the cottage.)

I had an issue with the order that I had placed for the little familiars so that fell through. I am just going to order directly from Reaper today. I am also throwing in a wolf (just in case I need one!) and other assorted things that I "need". I am also placing an order for the Busch small animal pack and some other scenics. So, it will probably be a couple weeks before I get the rest of my goodies.

In the meantime, I am trying to decide what size I want the tile to be, whether I should glue two tiles together so I can carve down into the top and make some textures, maybe a pathway, etc, to give it some dimension and interest so it isn't so flat. The tiles are fairly thin on their own. If I do glue two together, anyone have any advice on how to do that? PVA glue, super glue? Would you paint the glue on evenly and then mash the top tile on it and clamp? Would that layer of glue affect carving into it?

I should have time to get a little work done this weekend and post some photos. We are getting up at 3 am and driving out into the countryside to watch the meteor shower tomorrow morning! So excited!!! So after I get home and have a nap I should be ready to work!

• Like 4

Ok, so I found some cork tiles that I plan on basing the cottage on. I want to have a little yard with a garden and things.

In the meantime, I am trying to decide what size I want the tile to be, whether I should glue two tiles together so I can carve down into the top and make some textures, maybe a pathway, etc, to give it some dimension and interest so it isn't so flat. The tiles are fairly thin on their own. If I do glue two together, anyone have any advice on how to do that? PVA glue, super glue? Would you paint the glue on evenly and then mash the top tile on it and clamp? Would that layer of glue affect carving into it?

I should have time to get a little work done this weekend and post some photos. We are getting up at 3 am and driving out into the countryside to watch the meteor shower tomorrow morning! So excited!!! So after I get home and have a nap I should be ready to work!

I am not an expert on using cork FWIW.

Depending on how thick the tiles are, and what type of depressed area you want, yo may be better off cutting the top tile and gluing down multiple parts.

For example, (At work so no diagrams....) if the tile is 1/4" 6mm or so, and that is how deep you want a 'path' to the door, I would draw the path on the tile, cut it out, bevel the edges, and glue down the 2 separate pieces. this will give you more control over the width of the path. Same thing goes for if the tile is the same height as the base of the cottage, cutting it first will be much easier than trying to abrade the surface to the depth you want after things have been glued together. Non baked putty can then be used to blend things in... You can always make shallow gouges in the path later...

I would use PVA (White) glue to put the cork tiles together, put a piece of wax paper under the tile, another on top, a board bigger than the tile and then whatever you want to use for weights... Books, bricks, etc.

Remember to 'seal' the cork before you paint it, use guesso, or watered down pva, as otherwise the cork will drink your paint like Buglips with Bug-Juice!

To hold the cork to a wooden base, pva would again be fine, as long as the base has not been sealed, pva works by seeping into all those little pores across a gap and then hardening, making a kind of 'Bindi' ( ::o: ) of itself to hold things together.

Liquid Nails is a product I use for putting foam to mdf, that would also work to put the cork to a base...

If the base is non porous use a gel superglue. (Like what I did with my DDS2 tower to the mdf)

If you go to the Flames of War website, 'Hobby' tab, 'Modelling' drop down, then 'Terrain' tab on left side, you can see how they do complete wargame tabletop terrain, with lots of tips and tricks that will apply to what you are looking to do. Their medium of choice is insulation foam, and they are doing 2' (60cm) and larger pieces, but the techniques apply...

Hope that helps!

George

• Like 4

Good ideas! Thank you! Cutting and gluing the top tile makes more sense than carving. Dunno why I didn't think of that!

It is difficult/impossible to find some products here so I will have to go hunting. I have briefly looked for gel super glue before and had no luck. I haven't put a whole lot of effort into it as I hadn't needed it yet. I have been having a heck of a time just getting my hands on the Busch Small Animals and some scenics. Grrrrrrrr!

So, I will probably get some work done today. Just got up after taking a long "nap" after getting home from the meteor shower. I had to crank up the electric blanket because I was half frozen!

I will post pictures of anything I manage to get done today! I will probably have more questions so stay tuned! Thanks!

• Like 3

Look in your DIY stores like Home Depot for gel super glue. I have some Loctite brand gel that I just tested out and it is pretty strong! It came from either Home Depot or Lowes....

Even a place like Wal Mart might have it, but look in the tools hardware paint area instead of hobby school supplies for it, and look at the labels.to see if they say something like 'Gel' or 'Gap Filling'.

The Insta Cure+ pic I used in another post came from a dental supply warehouse!

George

• Like 2

We don't have Walmarts here, thank goodness! We have Bunnings which is kind of like Home Depot I suppose. I think that is where I looked last time but I will check again. They didn't have the cork tiles previously but I found them this last time so you never know!

• Like 2

We don't have Walmarts here, thank goodness! We have Bunnings which is kind of like Home Depot I suppose. I think that is where I looked last time but I will check again. They didn't have the cork tiles previously but I found them this last time so you never know!

I guessed that you didn't have those chains in Oz, but being an Ex Pat, you would know what type of store I meant!

• Like 1