Sign in to follow this  
gr33n

Need help upping my gap filling game

Basically the only product I currently work with is green stuff. sometimes i have trouble tapering the edge and some advice i received here has been pretty helpful for most of my problems which was to use some brush on sealer. There are some issues that can arise with this though and so im wondering if there are any other ways to get a flawless seal such as another putty that may have different properties etc. I need it to be so you can't tell there is a gap at all (maybe thats stupid to mention). I believe I also need some tools for sanding but they would need to be able to get into small areas without damaging the surrounding detail. I'm just kinda confused as to where to start and this forum has the best advice/painters so I thought id ask.

Edited by gr33n

Magic Sculpt and Milliput putties can be smoothed with water before they cure and carved/sanded after they cure.  The property of being smoothed with water greatly reduces the need for sanding.

Sanding implements for small areas range from sanding needles/sticks you can buy at Hobby Lobby or other retailers like MicroMark, Tower Hobbies, Brookhurst Hobbies etc... (Don't limit yourself to just miniature sites.  Look at R/C Hobby stores, Model trains, Arts & Crafts and possibly even some Home Improvement stores) to ones you make yourself with various shaped and diameter wooden dowels with glued on sandpaper in your choice of grit.

• Like 2

I think the inherent elasticity of the green stuff is the issue you are having with the tapering. I had the same frustration when I started gap-filling. You really have to continuously beat the putty and continuously work it to the shape you want while it isn't cured to get it to stay how you want it.

I eventually switched to Magic Sculpt, and am starting to use Procreate putty. I really like Procreate; it tends to stay where you put it, less of that elasticity that green stuff has.

I recommend a set of riffler files for hard to reach places (basically curved files). I use my normal straight files for most of my work (so have those too), but with awkward angles or moldlines the riffler set really helps. A set sized for miniatures should cost $10 or less on Amazon.

Good luck!

-MvM

• Like 2

I use Aves Apoxie Sculpt.  It smoothes with water and can be sanded and filed once it dries.  Good stuff.

The Egg

For large gaps, I use Testor's Contour Putty for the bulk of the work, with an outer layer of Liquid Greenstuff (or Molding Paste). Then I use emery sticks to sand it into shape.

• Like 1

I love my clay color shapers- I have the extra firm ones and I can usually smooth the edge of my putty enough not to notice the seam.

• Like 3

Plus 1 for extra firm clay shapers! (Find them on the river)

A 50% mix of Apoxie Sculpt and Green Stuff is also a wonderful thing...

See the discussion on putties here.

George

argh is that what thos tools are called?! I've been trying to find them but I couldn't figure out the name lol sweet!! keeping it in mind

I have also come to dislike GS for filling gaps over all, at least the little ones. I can't get it to stick in tiny ones. I was doing my canine remains a night or so ago and it was just a nightmare. Testors contour putty is great! Also milliput, I think I used that for a couple bigger ones.

Someone on another forum was explaining you can use the milliput to make a kind of slurry (adding water) - has anyone done this? just curious. I didn't end up reading that part til after I completed my gap filling.

I've tried a slurry with milliput and, while it's possible, you need to make sure you didn't add too much water, suchthat the gap didn't fill in enough after drying.

Vallejo Plastic Putty is only a few bucks and is for small gaps, so give it a shot. It doesn't need mixing, can be thinned with water, can be sanded, and can be painted on without priming. It shrinks a bit, so you may need to apply multiple layers.

Me, I'm lazy and only going for tabletop, so will sometimes smear enough to cover the gap, then sand it off with jeweler's files.

Do you guys use the sculpting putty with your bare hands? I have some procreate that I have been trying to use with nitrile gloves but it's such fiddly work that I always end up abandoning them. I hate how it makes my skin feel (and smell, yeuch) for the next day though.

• Like 1

I just use my hands.  Gets under my nails, but that's not terrible.  I like the golden molding paste as an alternative to slurries.  It's like liquid greenstuff, but much cheaper at the hobby stores with coupon. Dries clearish.

Do you guys use the sculpting putty with your bare hands? I have some procreate that I have been trying to use with nitrile gloves but it's such fiddly work that I always end up abandoning them. I hate how it makes my skin feel (and smell, yeuch) for the next day though.

I tend to use my hands... but I understand some people can be allergic and well it might not be the best idea to handle chemicals, but I just can't get it to work with gloves either. I have heard of people using a little vaseline to help keep fingerprints off and some on their tools as well, but I've not tried it. Maybe that's only for sculpting, not gap filling.

I wash my hands with a little of my simple green afterwards, seems to get all the yuck off, perhaps that'd work for you?