Dark Souls board game from Steamforged

SamuraiJack

As someone without an FLGS, the pandering to them at the expense of those not lucky enough to have one continues to bother me. Anyone can back KS, not everyone can head down to the local game store.

If enough cool stuff goes to FLGS, I'm ok with voting with my dollar. Should be another Zombicide coming up soon, anyway.

You can get it from your flgs or order it directly from the company. doesnt exclude anyone and allows retail shops to carry the game without worrying about it not selling.

They seem to be using the term "Exclusive" really loosely here.  What they mean by "Retailer Exclusive" is "Stuff we sell to shops... you know, like normal."  You'll be able to get them online from direct sales or from online retailers.  The only issue I can see from this is the Pokemon syndrome (I've seen guys get mad because there was more game released after the KS delivery).

The pandering might be necessary.  I've seen quite a bit about how local stores should refuse to stock Kickstarter projects (that aren't done by Coolmini) because they already got their audience at a discount/with exclusives (I guess Zombicide and Blood Rage sell just fine).

This is a clear bid to get the game into stores where it has potential to be a big success outside of the Kickstarter.  And I find that to be a good idea for the game's longevity.

It isn't like we were expecting that they'd never release anything after the Kickstarter delivers, right?  They're just being open about it (again, in a bid to get the game into more local game shops).

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pandering might be necessary.  I've seen quite a bit about how local stores should refuse to stock Kickstarter projects (that aren't done by Coolmini) because they already got their audience at a discount/with exclusives (I guess Zombicide and Blood Rage sell just fine).

With Zombicide and Bloodrage selling fine I think the bad sales say more about how a lot of Kickstarted games aren't really ready for retail in their post kickstarter state than it does about the audience already being taken care of. If Black Plague can sell 21,000 copies with exclusives and retail customers are still clamoring for vanilla copies then a game selling 2,000 on kickstarter is probably no where near market saturation if it's a good enough game to begin with. If it's not a good enough game to keep selling at that point then it probably wouldn't sell very well at retail even if it had never been on kickstarter. I think if more kickstarters start pandering to stores the result (at least until the stores catch on) is going to be stores buying unsellable games they should never have been carrying in the first place

• Like 3

Maybe.

The narrative about the Persecuted Local Game Stores is entrenched.  It doesn't have to be true (ICv2 seems to indicate that Kickstarter has been nothing but positive for the PLGS).

I think it is a good move to try and show that "We aren't the problem."  Even if there really isn't a problem, you know?

Anyway, we've seen retail store pandering from small kickstarters, but this is the first time I've seen pandering to LGS as part of such a high profile KS (it is moving up faster than Zombicide, you know?). 

• Like 1

it is moving up faster than Zombicide, you know?

I would hope so, I expect them to at minimum double or triple Black Plague's backer number. They'd have to mess up pretty bad not to. They're starting with a fan base of around 4 million after all. Zombicide has done well, but it's not even remotely as big of an IP as Dark Souls.

I would hope so, I expect them to at minimum double or triple Black Plague's backer number. They'd have to mess up pretty bad not to. They're starting with a fan base of around 4 million after all. Zombicide has done well, but it's not even remotely as big of an IP as Dark Souls.

Black Plague did 4 million dollars.  I think Dark Souls can pass that up, but I definitely don't anticipate 12 million here, and I think eight million is a stretch.  Six million is doable, but still just a bit optimistic.  Ghost Busters is a much bigger property than either, but it stopped at 1.5 million.

The difference between them is the kind of fans that they have.  Fans of the videogame aren't necessarily interested in board games at all, while Zombicide fans are often waiting for the next KS, with their finger on the trigger.

Anyway, the normal run for a Kickstarter is to to one third in the beginning spike, one third during the time in the middle and another third at the end spike (more or less).  More add ons adds to the end spike, and a better known property adds to the front spike (at expense to the end spike).

From my armchair analysis, Dark Souls ends up around five to six million.

• Like 3

That was my initial point, that you're aiming for a nexus of video gamers, board gamers and miniature gamers. And a narrow niche inside of each of those. I'm amazed it's done as well as it has.

I was tentatively in but pulled out. I already have KD:M to scratch that itch in a much deeper way.

Black Plague did 4 million dollars.  I think Dark Souls can pass that up, but I definitely don't anticipate 12 million here, and I think eight million is a stretch.  Six million is doable, but still just a bit optimistic.  Ghost Busters is a much bigger property than either, but it stopped at 1.5 million.

The difference between them is the kind of fans that they have.  Fans of the videogame aren't necessarily interested in board games at all, while Zombicide fans are often waiting for the next KS, with their finger on the trigger.

Anyway, the normal run for a Kickstarter is to to one third in the beginning spike, one third during the time in the middle and another third at the end spike (more or less).  More add ons adds to the end spike, and a better known property adds to the front spike (at expense to the end spike).

From my armchair analysis, Dark Souls ends up around five to six million.

I said the number of backers though, not the amount of money... Dark Souls is already at 15,600 part way though day 7 while Black Plague was at 11,113 at the end of day 7. Maybe a minimum of 42,000 backers was a bit over the top, but I think it's still entirely in the realm of possibility.

I think you were high balling it, and I was low balling it.

At the end of day 7, Black Plague had gathered eleven thousand backers- over half of the backers they'd have for the whole campaign.

If we expect Dark Souls to follow suit, then they'll finish day 7 at about 1600 backers and ultimately hit just under double where they are at the end of day 7- somewhere in the flavor of 31,000 backers.  That's about 1.5 of Black Plague.

And the money will probably end up at about six million.

That's huge, of course.  Definitely the record for Miniatures Games Kickstarters.  And definitely more than I'd have expected of a board game adaptation of a very niche video game franchise.

Dark Souls one and two sold combined over 8 million games. Dark Souls three is Namcos fastest selling game ever.

People who play Dark Souls are super obsessed with it and may back the game just to have it even if they don't play board games.

I don't play Dark Souls but have heard so darned much about it from friends I feel like I have lol.

The only thing I know about Dark Souls is that they had a big display at PAX Prime last year of one guy with a sword run through him that was shooting what looked like oil out of the wound while another guy was kneeling over him.

IMG_9618_zpsenljddmx.jpg

This pic was taken at the start of Pax, by the end everything in the display was covered with black oily stuff.

I still don't know anything about the game.

• Like 1

I was in. But have since cancelled. I may regret it but... Although a ton of stuff has unlocked and likely a ton more will, I feel disconnected as the updates are little more than a picture of something with no real info. It's hard to get excited about the onion knight if I don't know who or what it is or does... I think I will just save my money for Massive Darkness, which while it may not be the same kind if game I will at least know what to kind of expect.

Edited by Smokestack

Dark Souls one and two sold combined over 8 million games.

Most of the people I know on Steam ([f13]Sky btw) bought Dark Souls on a sale for a couple dollars. I own it, played for an hour or two. It's a popular game, but it's also a niche like Super Meat Boy, in the hard-for-hard's-sake category. I'm part of one of the oldest video game communities online and even the huge fans of Souls (Demon Souls is the only REAL Souls kinda guys) would admit it's a niche game.

They've apparently been easing up on difficulty so broadened the audience a bit. But it's not exactly Madden or Call of Duty.

Remember, in big studio gaming if it doesn't move a couple million units, it's a failure. So the scale is misleading.

• Like 1

I got Dark Souls on a friend's recommendation.  I really wanted to love the game, but I felt like it didn't reward me at all for all of the effort it took.

I wanted an interesting story to go along with the hard mode and cool design.  Instead, I walk around a world that's mostly zombies, once in a while I run into a guy who is sentient, and they're mostly depressed and apathetic (but never tell me why they're standing in place all alone, while surrounded on every side by monsters.

After beating a boss that I thought should have progressed the story, but didn't, I felt annoyed.  So I went online to see if it gets better.  Everyone said "oh, you sort of make up your own story in this game."  And then I sold it back.

If DS 3 has a story to it, I might be interested.

• Like 2

The combat was kind of fun, but I didn't get far enough to really dig into it. For me, I'd rather have mediocre combat but a great world to explore with lots of story (Witcher 3 is more my taste).

Oddly, I kind of feel the same way after watching the gameplay stuff vs KD:M, just seems like KD:M is a better version of this at multiple levels.