Dark Souls board game from Steamforged

SamuraiJack

The combat was kind of fun, but I didn't get far enough to really dig into it. For me, I'd rather have mediocre combat but a great world to explore with lots of story (Witcher 3 is more my taste).

Oddly, I kind of feel the same way after watching the gameplay stuff vs KD:M, just seems like KD:M is a better version of this at multiple levels.

Darksouls has a world on par with the Witcher 3 but it's all in the atmosphere, level design, and frustratingly the item descriptions.

As for gameplay I found KD:M's instant death mechanics and randomness intolerable.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for gameplay I found KD:M's instant death mechanics and randomness intolerable.

I know that the insta-deaths bug a lot of people, it helps to remember lives are just another currency in the game. Instant death is like drawing a card that says lose $5 in other games.

The combat was kind of fun, but I didn't get far enough to really dig into it. For me, I'd rather have mediocre combat but a great world to explore with lots of story (Witcher 3 is more my taste).

Oddly, I kind of feel the same way after watching the gameplay stuff vs KD:M, just seems like KD:M is a better version of this at multiple levels.

Darksouls has a world on par with the Witcher 3 but it's all in the atmosphere, level design, and frustratingly the item descriptions.

Do you have a copy of KDM that you no longer need?

But, yeah- in KDM, you aren't supposed to get very attached to individual survivors unless you're playing "Heroic mode."  The game definitely rewards you for spreading around the XP (and the update Poots added to the Lantern Hoard allows for more of this).

I had a similar issue with Dark Souls- I didn't mind that it was hard, but I did mind that I had no idea what I was doing or why.  I mean, the first quest giver tells you "Well, if you go ring these two bells, something may or may not happen."

After beating the gargoyle, and getting zero story progression, I started wondering if I was ever going to be given a reason that I should care.  So I went online, and people praising the game talked about how you basically have to make up the story yourself, because the game isn't going to give it to you.

That's when I quit.

Edited by odinsgrandson

KD:M has good enough art, minis, and terrain that I'm keeping all that. I guess you can have my hunt tracks and such if you'd really want them by themselves. I'm just never going to use my KD stuff for its intended purpose. Instead it's gonna be used for RPG minis and a Kings of War army.

As for Dark Souls it's a game whose whole story is in the atmosphere, and that lack of specific direction is to reinforce the core ideas. The world is dying; this cannot be changed only slowed. You aren't some destined hero just some random guy suffering from the undead plague who has the opportunity to forestall doomsday for another few years. It's not for everyone but for the people it's geared toward it's the best there is.

There is a chance you would like Dark Souls 2 more as it is more focused on the player as a character but not nearly to the degree of most rpgs.

I'm really just not sold on this game.  Getting lots of content for a core pledge, but a lot of the artwork they are presenting for the minis is very rough in my opinion.  We're almost 3 weeks into the campaign and we still know nothing about the actual gameplay (unless they have talked about it in the AMA sessions).  And now we're up to £100k between stretch goals.  I understand the need to increase the gaps, but 50k to 100k is a pretty significant jump.  I'm guessing at 3Mil they will jump to 200k.

• Like 1

I think the issue with the artwork is they assume you've played the video game and already know what they actually look like up close.  "Here's a pic of this heavily filtered red-hued messy blob thing, that's invader such-and-such, you remember her right?"  Example:

9afccfc8d7ae151b645b540a5cc8a220_origina

I'm sure they haven't started on the final sculpt for these yet and that's the only artwork they were given to show off, but wow that is not going to impress someone who hasn't played the game.

On the plus side: Sif is coming!   :blush:

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 4

Some renders today.  ^_^

In the red corner, the consumer of souls, the embodiment of rage quitting controller throwing, the Evil Black Dragon, Kalameet!

2656fc6f5032060170383a29bed519e8_origina

f21ba71756586a76ad66e07b3542006d_origina

And his opponent, in the blue corner ... a naked guy with a club.

d9229460b121648979ba3db845460985_origina

Dark Souls in a nutshell, haha.

• Like 1

Barely. SFG needs approval from Bandai / Namco for art, gameplay videos, etc. so can't post that info as timely as other KS. Also, the original SG's went to 1M, so that's why they still need approval for everything. Who knows how much interference the license holder will have with the project.

If you're not interested in the IP, skip it. Wait for retail, or a project that tells you enough information to make a decision.

I thought I saw somewhere that they had SG's out to 4 million with approval from Bandai.  Maybe I misread it.  I think the project is a good deal so I'll probably stay in regardless, but once they show actual gameplay I'll decide if I keep it once it ships.

I found a review of the demo they're featuring at conventions.  They just did the boss fight- not the whole game.

The thing I'm most wondering about is a final lose condition for the game.  There's a lot about how heroes respawn at a fire when they've been killed, but I really can't tell if there's actually a way for the players to lose this game, or if it just takes forever if you're bad at it.

Edited by odinsgrandson