Chaos Wolf's Conversion Clinic (pic heavy) Open topic

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of times, I see people asking for advice on how to do a conversion, or expressing uncertainty about having the skills to do one. So, I decided to create (what I hope will be) a helpful topic to

Finished the second two Undying Lord conversions today; the dwarf and halfling.      

Because of all the orcs, kobolds, gnolls and bugbears from the Bones kickstarters, I ended up with several duplicates of many poses. This topic is right in line with how I dealt with them.  

Posted Images

Great thread!  Very well organized and informative.  As someone that's just getting into small conversions here and there, I have to echo the "it's not as hard as you think" sentiment and encourage people to give it a shot!

Here's a pic of a toothpick conversion I did for the Anhurian Spearmen to have more rigid spear shafts.  Simply used a hobby knife to cut the spear shafts at the seam where they met the hands, used a pin vice to drill out the center of the hand (magnification helped here), and then inserted the toothpicks.  The gap I drilled was pretty tight (which I'm glad for, as it didn't require me to use any putty or even superglue to secure the toothpicks), so I had to work a sort of twisting motion as I pushed them up into the hand gap.  Then, I drilled a small hole into the bottom of the spearheads, put a bit of super glue on the point of the toothpick and stuck the spearhead on top.  Super simple, didn't require any sculpting chops, and I think was very much worth the extra bit of time and effort.  Wish I had taken step by step pictures, but I think the description plus this one picture gets the idea across.

post-14799-0-02248600-1459705035_thumb.jpg

note:  For those that are interested but haven't bought a pin vice yet, I highly recommend the CML Supply Micro Drill Bit Set.  Pretty ergonomic and it comes with about 2 dozen bits of various sizes.

Thanks again Chaos Wolf, great post!

eta:  described mounting the spearheads.

Edited by hammer570
  • Like 15

Thanks, Hammer570, I'm glad you liked it. ^_^

And thank you for sharing your spear man conversions, they look good, and are an excellent example of a simple conversion that looks good.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Good job with this!

I did some WIP shots while working on the Infamy Resin Goblin Chieftan, about how I put a pin into the leg to mount it to the base. (when I get that far!)

Here is a link to show how I did that...

George

• Like 3

First off, here's two of the conversions i showed up above all painted up if anyone is interested.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68185-77024-bones-goblins/?hl=%2Bbones+%2Bgoblins

Here's another conversion that I did recently:

Half-orc Anhurian crossbowman.

Ok, here we go.

Check out the crossbow; it's cast kinda weird so that one arm is thicker than the other. Normally, not much of an issue, but I don't like it,so I'm going to replace it.

post-12095-0-50849300-1462052396_thumb.jpg

Here he is with the arms cut off the crossbow.

post-12095-0-61423800-1462052436_thumb.jpg

Here, I've carefully removed the original head in preparation for swap. You can see the original head, the replacement head, and the part I'm going to replace the end of the crossbow with.

post-12095-0-62085700-1462052472_thumb.jpg

The new head (taken from this fellow:http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/77042) glued in place.

post-12095-0-78410000-1462052497_thumb.jpg

Here I'm using some green stuff to repair/rebuild the back of his head.

post-12095-0-61210600-1462052545_thumb.jpg

Here, I've added some more GS to his head and sculpted it to look like a chain mail coif.

post-12095-0-96773000-1462052637_thumb.jpg

The bit shown above attached to the end the crossbow. It's the end of an old GW Dark Elf Crossbow; I left the blade on the end of it, as I thought it made it look like a weapon that a half orc might use.

post-12095-0-60988400-1462052677_thumb.jpg

Just another view of the crossbow.

post-12095-0-64070400-1462052712_thumb.jpg

Look for him to be painted in the very near future.

I hope this is useful/inspiring to someone; also, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 15

Love it!  I got on the mini-painting train late so the minis I do have I buy one at a time.  Can't wait for KS3 to get here so I'll have reserves to do this kind of thing!  It definitely adds a whole new and very entertaining facet to the hobby.  Great work with the half orc and crossbow switch, and documenting it in a way that's easy to follow.

• Like 1