Advice needed....on spell effect painting, it just doesn't look right....

I haven't posted up in wip before, but have repainted this one like twice, and still not feeling it.....

The first time, too dark of green, you can see in first picture.....so went for a blue'r -lighter look, but taking up to white just makes it look washed out.....think I need to go darker.....

The first one looks like a wreath over her head, the second, I just don't like..... Thoughts?

post-7024-0-48427000-1459749033_thumb.jpeg

First attack

post-7024-0-02842400-1459749076_thumb.jpeg

Second kick at it....

Any ideas for the third attempt?

• Like 2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make it brighter to yellow as Mousekiller mentions.  Then add some Object Source Lighting on the top of her head, arms, and shoulders to sell the glow.

Or, try inverting the effect.  White deep within, then yellow, then green on the raised "outer" parts... like real fire.

Just spitballing here...

• Like 2

I'll echo what mousekiller and Darcstaar said about inverting the colors: light is brighest at its source and fades away from there. 

If you want to make her arms and hat glow, use very thin glazes of the medium green color over top of her clothes' colors wherever you want the glow to reach.  Repeat that process a couple times, getting smaller and closer to the source of the light each time.  I'd add a nice bright green line highlight around the very top edge of the had closest to the glow as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions ....I was kinda hoping not to go a fire/OSL look, just cause the cover art didn't have it. They kept her colours very clean, no osl .... But I think you are all right! I think it's what has been bugging me and what I don't like, that there is no end or beginning - it doesn't start brighter at her hands then go up to a point.

I think I'll try for a semi luminescent white in the recesses blending into a yellow ending at the tips in a Limey green?

I'll post a picture - see what you think....

• Like 1

Foliage... with ...playing cards. :unsure: Hmmmm...

I definitely see your point but not much of an idea how to fix it. Mediocre tabletop painter on my best day. I recently painted some archers. Tried to make them look like ghosts. I dunno — maybe that is more what you'd want to go for?

post-7586-0-52613800-1459494603_thumb.jp

Thanks for the suggestions .... I think I'll try for a semi luminescent white in the recesses blending into a yellow ending at the tips in a Limey green?....

A glowing spell effect color that goes with playing cards...

[?]

That is a tough question.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

If you don't want to go with OSL on it, you could paint the spell effect white then apply a wash or glaze over that for the base color, then highlight from there.  This will give that part a more ethereal look compared to the rest of the miniature, and should help it stand out a bit more.

• Like 2

I like the florescent green and the tiny touch of OSL. I think just the small amount of OSL gives the effect that you want without overpowering the piece with tons and tons of the spell color.

Are you still not liking it?

• Like 1