Sign in to follow this  
pinkymadigan

Kings of War Multi-based Undead (Reaper, Mantic, GW)

These are really cool.
I've been looking at mix'n matching some reaper minis into my KoW Forces of Nature Army too (but haven't gotten to it yet).

The Reaper mini are quite a bit taller and bulkier than the Mantic ones. Which is nice to make some special characters or a hero within a group.

I also really like the various textures you added to your base and levels.

Great job all around!

• Like 1

Great army!  I love how you have some coming out of the ground.  I also added Big Fred to my cart, I have been eying him for a while but seeing him scaled to other bones sealed the deal.

• Like 1

I see I'm not the only one who decided to put the zombogre into their zombie unit!

Awesome looking army, love seeing all of the different manufacturers' minis playing together.

• Like 1

Excellent army! I like the use of many different figures in your force; especially being undead it makes a lot of sense that they're not necessarily going to look the same.

Very nice job!

• Like 1

Very nice!  What is KoW's standard frontage?

Most infantry have a 100mm (i.e. 20mm X 5) frontage.  Some larger models like orcs get 125mm (25mm x5).   Hordes and legions are twice as wide.

Basically it's designed to be backward compatible with WHFB basing but because models aren't removed during play you can do awesome stuff like the OP..

• Like 1

Very nice!  What is KoW's standard frontage?

Most infantry have a 100mm (i.e. 20mm X 5) frontage.  Some larger models like orcs get 125mm (25mm x5).   Hordes and legions are twice as wide.

Basically it's designed to be backward compatible with WHFB basing but because models aren't removed during play you can do awesome stuff like the OP..

Yep, LLC has it right. The standard infantry are 20mm squares and in v2 the smallest standard infantry unit is 5x2 (and the largest is 10 x 6). The standardization is really nice. and means that between eyeballing model and base size and number on a base you can quickly tell whether something is a regiment/horde/etc even if you aren't familiar with an opponent's army yet. Somethings are bigger for compatibility between systems, and others have more loose sizes (monsters and heroes have a minimum size and can be as big as the model needs them to be, but big footprints are generally a disadvantage). 

They are pretty good about allowing things officially also, so as long as a unit cannot be confused with another (within reason), it's allowed. They have a minimum model count for all the various unit footprints to help avoid confusion also (so a regiment needs to have at least 11 minis to represent the 20 it is supposed to have, that way it cannot be confused with a troop). Though really, foot print alone pretty much does this already.

• Like 1

Multibasing can be a lot of fun - once you start thinking of the unit as a mini-diorama, it opens up wide.

There are tricks that you can do with the Two Regiments and Two Troops idea - having a terrain feature or two continue on from one base to the next. I just started thinking about doing a base of zombies crawling out of the sides of a wash or rain gully - with others crawling out of the ground above.

Cutting some branches off of a Woodlands Scenics plastic tree, and using them as roots exposed by the gully washer, and another used for the tree itself, leaning forwards as the ground has been washed away....

The Auld Grump

• Like 2