Sign in to follow this  
pinkymadigan

Kings of War Multi-based Undead (Reaper, Mantic, GW)

These are really cool.
I've been looking at mix'n matching some reaper minis into my KoW Forces of Nature Army too (but haven't gotten to it yet).

The Reaper mini are quite a bit taller and bulkier than the Mantic ones. Which is nice to make some special characters or a hero within a group.

I also really like the various textures you added to your base and levels.

Great job all around!

• Like 1

Great army!  I love how you have some coming out of the ground.  I also added Big Fred to my cart, I have been eying him for a while but seeing him scaled to other bones sealed the deal.

• Like 1

I see I'm not the only one who decided to put the zombogre into their zombie unit!

Awesome looking army, love seeing all of the different manufacturers' minis playing together.

• Like 1

Excellent army! I like the use of many different figures in your force; especially being undead it makes a lot of sense that they're not necessarily going to look the same.

Very nice job!

• Like 1

Very nice!  What is KoW's standard frontage?

Most infantry have a 100mm (i.e. 20mm X 5) frontage.  Some larger models like orcs get 125mm (25mm x5).   Hordes and legions are twice as wide.

Basically it's designed to be backward compatible with WHFB basing but because models aren't removed during play you can do awesome stuff like the OP..

• Like 1

Very nice!  What is KoW's standard frontage?

Most infantry have a 100mm (i.e. 20mm X 5) frontage.  Some larger models like orcs get 125mm (25mm x5).   Hordes and legions are twice as wide.

Basically it's designed to be backward compatible with WHFB basing but because models aren't removed during play you can do awesome stuff like the OP..

Yep, LLC has it right. The standard infantry are 20mm squares and in v2 the smallest standard infantry unit is 5x2 (and the largest is 10 x 6). The standardization is really nice. and means that between eyeballing model and base size and number on a base you can quickly tell whether something is a regiment/horde/etc even if you aren't familiar with an opponent's army yet. Somethings are bigger for compatibility between systems, and others have more loose sizes (monsters and heroes have a minimum size and can be as big as the model needs them to be, but big footprints are generally a disadvantage). 

They are pretty good about allowing things officially also, so as long as a unit cannot be confused with another (within reason), it's allowed. They have a minimum model count for all the various unit footprints to help avoid confusion also (so a regiment needs to have at least 11 minis to represent the 20 it is supposed to have, that way it cannot be confused with a troop). Though really, foot print alone pretty much does this already.

• Like 1

Multibasing can be a lot of fun - once you start thinking of the unit as a mini-diorama, it opens up wide.

There are tricks that you can do with the Two Regiments and Two Troops idea - having a terrain feature or two continue on from one base to the next. I just started thinking about doing a base of zombies crawling out of the sides of a wash or rain gully - with others crawling out of the ground above.

Cutting some branches off of a Woodlands Scenics plastic tree, and using them as roots exposed by the gully washer, and another used for the tree itself, leaning forwards as the ground has been washed away....

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kangaroorex
      Further efforts to produce a dozen dragons this year brought me out to the desert sands where even dragons new to worry about being spotted if they want a decent meal.  To this end desert dragons are campflaged to look like the ground from above and the sky from below.

Hope you enjoy him 

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, 

Here are pictures of the third skeletal beast in the series. 77931, Skeletal Manticore sculpted by Julie Guthrie. Painted with Reaper MSP paint and mounted on a 2 inches base.

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone,

Here is the second skeletal beast I painted last week. This is Bones model 77924, Skeletal Chimera sculpted by Julie Guthrie. I added dirt and moss on it to make it look like it's freshly animated. The leaves are dry birch tree seed hulls. I picked them up in the forest and painted them before gluing them on the base. As a reference, the base is 2 inches wide.

• By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone,

With the dead leaves season comes harvest time. Autumn is also a time for gathering and for reflection. Like the Tuilvilanuue words say "Nilsi hentil kilta anno", it takes four seasons to make a year.
      Here are some pictures of Julie Guthrie awesome 77923 Skeletal Owlbear. I really enjoyed painting this model. The design of the skeletal beasts that Reaper recently produced is stunning. It is an archeological journey in fantasy land.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi everyone.  Got a couple of Cool Cats to show off today.

I went back and forth for a long time on whether or not a wanted a group of matching lions, or if I wanted variety.  As a DM, I feel these would be used most often as Druidic wildshapes, familiars, or summons.  I also couldn't deny that i wanted to try some different techniques on each, so I decided to go with a Lion, a Tiger, and a Black Panther.

Tiger (Reaper Bones Lion 77341)

First up was the Tiger.  She was actually the Lioness from the Reaper Bones Lions set (77341).  Her sculpt looked like it could read as a tiger, and that was my major inspiration for wanting to paint each of them differently.  I used a lot of references images on her and the subsequent cats as well.  Really wanted to get the coloration right.  I'm happy I did, because my instinct was to use more orange tones, but in actuality, tigers have more of a warm brown color.  I used red-hair colors to bring out the highlights.  The stripes weren't as difficult as I was expecting.  I just used my reference photos as a guide and did my best.  I do worry that people will misinterpret the nose stripes as poorly-drawn whiskers though.  She also looks a little dopy head-on but I promise that that's the sculpt.
      Click the Spoiler for more Photos

Lion (Reaper Bones Lions 77341)

Next up is the other half of the Lion set.  This guy was always destined to be a lion.  Once again, I'm really glad I used reference images.  Its funny how many animals we envision incorrectly.  I learned this lesson well after painting up the Bones 4 pig way too pink, even though I knew it shouldn't be that color.  I'm really pleased with my coloration on the mane.  The only dry brushing on this guy is the rock base.  Time consuming but worth the result.  I think the muscle highlights look pretty natural.

Black Panther (Legend of Drizzt Board Game - Guenhwyvar)

And finally we have the Black Panther.

Fun Fact:
      Did you know that there is no such animal as a Black Panther?  It is just a nickname for melanistic variants of any Panthera species, specifically Leopards and Jaguars.

This model is from The Legend of Drizzt Board Game by Wizards of the Coast.  I have not read a single Drizzt Do'Urden book, but I believe the black panther, Guenhwyvar, is the ranger's companion animal.  Anyways, that was influence enough to paint her up in that style.  I believe I used mostly Black Jaguars as inspiration, though the markings became less important than getting the highlight colors right.  I ended up using Reaper's Dark Elf Skin colors to highlight the black, which is amusing considering Drizzt's race.  I added some mottled spotting afterwards, trying to imply the pattern more than paint each individual spot.  I think I managed to imply muscle, fur, and spots without losing the dark shade of black I wanted.  Pretty happy, especially since this sculpt was my least favorite of the bunch.

QUESTION TIME
      Which of the three is your favorite?

What animals do you use most often in your games?

Do you have a favorite animal you like to see painted in miniatures?
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)