Siri could use thoughts/prayers

I dream often and always in colour that I can remember. I didn't realise that was rare until a few years ago. Most memories of the dreams fade quickly but a few have stuck with me over the years. I've had dreams inside of dreams where I "woke up" but was still dreaming. Sometimes I can do like Pezler but that tends to be only when I'm on the edge of sleep. Most of my dreams tend to be direct, simple representations of my waking life. Every once in awhile I check out something about dream analysis and go, "yeah, that was kind of obvious. Work stress, bad dream signifying work stress." Last dream I remember was yesterday. The fluffy kittens that were in our back yard a couple weeks ago were climbing my legs and it hurt. Woke up on the hide a bed from hell with my back pinched and legs tingling like crazy.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dream once a week or so. It's full color, full sound, full smell, full brain. I've been told it's sometimes full movement as I sleepwalk around the room talking to nobody.

But I almost never dream as myself. I'm usually someone else, living their life, wearing their body, speaking with their voice. Mirrors work when I dream and that ain't me. It's a different 'character' each time so it's probably not past life memory or an identity I've internalized. It's just... not me.

The worst are nightmares. Not because they're scary, sometimes they're not, but because they will continue after I wake up. My tired brain will refuse to believe I'm awake and will continue feeding me erroneous sensory information as I lay in bed clutching my partner trying to convince myself the dream is over. Especially the scary ones.

• Like 2

Like most people, I do dream regularly. And yes, my dreams were always in colour.

I'm mostly aware of my dreams in the hours before I get up when I'm half awake. I let my imagination run on autopilot until the clock radio turns on. Though on occasion, the radio turns on during the news bulletin and my brain pictures everything as if I were watching TV.

Most of the time, the dreams are meaningless fun. The only recurring dream/nightmare is always one where I somehow keep failing the same class, somehow managed to graduate and work but believe I'm a fraud, and have to secretly retake that class, and fail again, year after year. It's nearly always a literary class, or philosophy or something I would find extremely tedious. In my dream, I would always skip class, yet show up for the exams completely unprepared or hope I would complete that huge report without reading a thing. Sometimes it reaches sitcom extremes, as I dream that I have to retake a class with third graders, while still hiding the truth from my parents.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

I dream most every night... at least in recent years.  I have had times in my life where I wondered if I had quit dreaming.  I have never flown in a dream.  I primarily dream in color, but I have had a single recurring nightmare from childhood.  It always starts in sepia tone and like a projector movie that the bulb burns through the film.  As the film degrades a 1950s pickup truck goes across and then I am in the cab and there will be a lot of running in old buildings.  I've never known what I was being chased by.  There will be the nebulous feeling of masses of snakes but I don't remember seeing them in that nightmare.  To be honest, I'm not sure I've had the nightmare in 20 years or more, but it is still the only nightmare I have woken up from and it always started the same and is the only thing that I am aware of dreaming that is not in color.

I have woken up "knowing" something that I did not previously know.  I have been in a helicopter (though I did not have control and don't really recall the flying feeling).  I have been lots and lots of places.  I have sometimes done things that were on the upper end of science fiction... but oddly enough, I don't ever recall doing any magic... though I generally read more of the later than the former.  I have driven cars I have never owned.  I have taken photographs.  I have developed things in a dark room, but it didn't really work like a darkroom I have ever used but I remember seeing exposures come to life.  I don't miss the waiter dreams from my college years when I was a waiter (those kind of double processing just make you tireder).  I have stood on many many tall things.  I don't remember falling or jumping.  I wish there was a way to record things down in the moment of wakefulness without having to wake someone else up to do it.  I have stood in the middle of symphonies... but if I remember that one correctly, I wasn't enjoying it... I was trying to figure out how I was supposed to get out without anyone in the audience noticing me.  I'm not often aware of my own body and am glad I haven't had a public indecency dream in a long time.

Growing up, my father and I would recount our most vivid dreams of the night regularly at breakfast.  I kind of miss that.  In general he is too stiff (too many years as a principal / superintendent) but his dreams were as crazy as mine were.  My wife is too groggy before she goes to work.  I wake up ready to talk about things.  We have learned to have our differences.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, alchemist said:

My understanding is that everybody dreams (at least, everybody who has healthy sleep), but we are only aware of having been dreaming if we wake up while the dream is going on.  So if you are conscious of dreaming a lot, it may be that your sleep is more disturbed and less restful than would be ideal.

Agree with alchemist in that this is also my understanding.  

Basically, the science as I understand it, when you sleep, you slip between REM and non-REM sleep.  REM sleep is the "deeper" sleep and where dreaming normally occurs.  If you dream a lot, this means that you are probably getting to REM sleep which means you are probably getting enough rest even though it may feel like you aren't.

As for myself, I never remember my dreams.  But then, I dream enough during the day anyway...

• Like 2

Yeah, REM sleep is the least deep of sleep in terms of brainwave patterns, neural activity, and heart rate. A standard human goes through one full REM cycle every 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on the person and how many REM cycles have already been experienced that sleep period.

You remember your dreams if and only if you wake up while in REM sleep. Otherwise the brain dumps the memory as unimportant.

The wave patterns in REM sleep have been associated with complex learning and intricate tasks. It's thought that the brain uses dreams to go over the events of the day, to rearrange memories into proper order, and to cement learned tasks into long term memory. This has led to a lot of comments among researchers that all the rats are dreaming about mazes (rats experience these wave patterns during and after maze runs, especially when put into new mazes).

• Like 6

I just remembered a weird sequence of dreams I had when I was ~8 years old. They were awful. 

I wasn't really present in the dreams, as much as over-head viewing for a documentary. All the unicorns were dying because the ground was lava and volcanos everywhere. Distinctly dead unicorns. >.< 

• Like 3