I've decided to do another WIP after not doing so for quite some time.  My son gave me this mini and my friends want to see it painted, and based.  I have gotten into basing thanks to many on the Forums, and so that is part of what I am up to.

I'm planning on using bark in the basing on this right off the git go.  Secondly, I started clipping off the broccoli base that DSM come with.  I've had to modify some of my methods, and a bit of how I do things.  I still mix my own colors, I use brush on primer (gray), and now I take my time, and really water down the colors.  I just get richer and better results (in my opinion).

I was given a marvelous gift that I am going to share right from the beginning.  It is a plastic vise, with a suction cup bottom.

Now that I pin the base I need something to hold it.  For me this is perfect.  I can hold in my hand, I can  suction cup it to the desk and file, and or prime, and line if I desire.  It makes me remember to remove that broccoli.  So here is what I am working on now.  Firsts photo is of the critter on the vise, then raw, then primed with brown liner.  I love this thing already !

Jay

post-12655-0-53844000-1459887201_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-70085400-1459886973.jpg

post-12655-0-19563500-1459886974.jpg

post-12655-0-69145400-1459886974.jpg

post-12655-0-27040900-1459886975.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 15

Always have liked the DS Guinea Pig minis. Looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

That's a nice vise. Mine is of metal and clamps onto the table, so isn't that versatile. A bit more hard-wearing, though... 

(I've had mine for at least 20 years)

How is it holding the mini?

You haven't used the opportunity to sharpen the sword or the edges of the crystal on top of his staff?

(I'm planning to do a bit of a mod on a DSM myself. Just waiting for some stuff to arrive so that I know the exact size holes and so on)

• Like 1

That's a nice vise. Mine is of metal and clamps onto the table, so isn't that versatile. A bit more hard-wearing, though... 

(I've had mine for at least 20 years)

How is it holding the mini?

You haven't used the opportunity to sharpen the sword or the edges of the crystal on top of his staff?

(I'm planning to do a bit of a mod on a DSM myself. Just waiting for some stuff to arrive so that I know the exact size holes and so on)

The vise is plastic, and about 4 dollars American. 

Its light weight, and very easy to hold in the hand.

I have drilled two holes in the bottom of the Miniature, and glued in two pins made from paper clips.

The vise is clamped onto those two pins.  It allows me to paint upside down, sideways, whatever way I want.

I don't sharpen edges on swords, or crystals, last thing I need is something to cut myself on.

LOL

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Wimp...  ;-)

Have you seen the 'Micro Holding tool' on Micro-Mark?

(I've ordered one, but since packages can be held up for 3 weeks or more in Customs here, Cthulu only knows when it arrives)

• Like 1

Wimp...  ;-)

Have you seen the 'Micro Holding tool' on Micro-Mark?

(I've ordered one, but since packages can be held up for 3 weeks or more in Customs here, Cthulu only knows when it arrives)

Interesting gadget.  I have a batch of tweezers that do for me in a pinch.

I really like the light weight vise though. 

By the way, where in Norge are your from ?

I usually visit family in Olso, or Bergen. 

I have cousins in Molde, Oslo, and Drommen.  I have seen a lot of south western Norway Buskerud, Telmark, (Fredrickstad, and into Sweden).

I spent my 65th Birthday in Bergen going up to the mountains, and riding on the Bergens Fjord.  Had a blast.

I also lost 20 lbs on that 14 day trip.. Lots of UP HILL walking. !

I work in Molde... So I'm pretty annoyed for a week every summer as all those elfed pretend-musicians steal my parking space outside the office...

(Very little of what goes on at Molde International Jaz Festival any more is even remotely like jaz)

I can also be found fishing out on the Atlantic Ocean Road now and then.

(Anyone not familiar with it should either google it or check out a Jaguar commercial... )

Or up on a mountaintop or other... (Not often enough)

• Like 1

Nice to see I have a chance to (pester you for orange color) offer some guidance again Jay. :poke:

I actually have a vice like that (except in black plastic) from about 30 years ago (80's) which I used in the old days for various hobbies from RC planes to painting Ral Partha minis.

Please make sure you take your time on the WIP and post plenty of pics so we can comment and go OOOHHH  AAAHHH!

• Like 2

Been playing at the Dental office today. 

Allergies messing with sinus's messing with molars is NOT a fun thing.

Pain is from the Allergies, not the tooth... and they are now cleaned.. le sigh.

I did some preliminary work on the Guinea Pig.  I used to put the eyes in last.

I now start with a background color a Mix of walnut brown, and vampire white, with a touch of matte varnish sealer).

So I have given the little dude some personality.  His eyes will be a wet looking walnut brown, with a hint of orange.

So here is my start to painting the Guinea Pig Wiz.

post-12655-0-07633300-1459965426.jpg

post-12655-0-71300500-1459965426.jpg

• Like 10

and your photography is so much clearer now as well.... I can actually see the varnish over the eyes in the pic. ::o:

• Like 1

i decided to take a gasp, grab a brush (00) and Go For The Face and Hands.

I'M CRAZY !!!  hmmm.. most of us are crazy.. so here we go.

I used the following in drops:

Vampiric skin one drop alone (In Case), and one in the mixing pile.

Matt Varnish one drop in mixing pile.

Pumpkin Orange one drop in mixing pile.

Magma Red one drop in mixing pile... four brush full of water... Mix with butt of brush..

BUT NOT Complete.. make it into four different colors.. Look at the middle cup...

I have four colors there, AND white(Vampire skin white) in reserve.

Here is what I did, wet on wet mixing.

I really LIKE this Dude !

Whatcha thunk?

post-12655-0-20830900-1459975738_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-75113900-1459975738.jpg

post-12655-0-22728100-1459975739.jpg

post-12655-0-59807800-1459983710.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 12

That fur looks just A.W.E.S.O.M.E

Thanks !

It was so much fun to do.

Just have to take your time and BLEND, pick up dark, get in place and blend it out.

That little dot of white was getting a good work out.

When happy, go back with the dark and get it back into the deep shadows.

Its like a massive balancing act.. but FUN.

Glad you like it !