Rogue One Teaser Trailer

Chris Palmer

I wonder what the Bothans are going to look like?

Or if they are going to change the Canon again...

Also, will they follow any of the books about Solo...

The books are no longer Canon. They aren't going to follow any of the books from the Expanded Universe they've said numerous times.

Maybe not the EU, but what about backstory?

I rather enjoyed the late A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy which detailed his youth and tumble into piracy, even if at times it felt like her hands were tied by demands that certain events must occur.

Nope.

Here you go:

On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm and Disney removed all Expanded Universe works from the canon. They announced that the existing seven films and The Clone Wars television series are the "immovable objects" of Star Wars storytelling. Previously published material has been relabeled under a "Legends" label, and future content will present a different vision of people, places and events after Return of the Jedi. They also announced that all future Star Wars stories will be connected and on equal canon level as the films, with guidance coming from the Star Wars story group. Additionally, it was announced that the films of the sequel trilogy will not follow the same story as that of the Expanded Universe works taking place after the events of Return of the Jedi.

So I am a Star Wars nerd and know way to much about that entire universe. With that being said, I really like all the twists and turns of the EU, on the other hand, I'm kind of glad that it is getting a little more "focus" (not the right word). The Vong Wars are not my favorite part of the SW timeline. I'm really excited how a whole new set of books branching off from this new realm will be coming around. Should make for some good reading. Although Rogue Squadron was a pretty darn good story. 

Spot on! expect I don't do mid night opens, usually. :P

haha, when I say opening day, I mean the next day, i'm too old to try to stay up that late for midnight showings on weeknights especially!

Around here they've started doing ~7pm showings on the Thursday before opening day. I think it's cheating a bit since the midnight shows are supposed to be the first ones, but I don't complain too loud since going at 7:30 makes it something I can do without having to take the next day off work to recover.

Ya, I have been invited for those showings as well but getting off at 7pm really puts a damper on that. I REALLY don't like showing up late. So I usually wait until a day off or a weekend and see the first showing the theater has.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never read the EU books at all, I've watched the movies numerous times and the Clone Wars, but never picked up a Star Wars novel. So it really doesn't matter to me if they went with the EU or not because I don't know the stories told there. i know that a lot of die-hard fans love the EU and really hated that Disney took canon away from those "legends," but it does give them more room to make their own movies and not have to stick to a pre-written script from books they may or may not like. Nodding to them in passing and adding some of their flair is cool IMO.

I don't hold it against them at all. I was a little sad that it meant certain stories would probably not get film treatments, especially Timothy Zahn's ones, but I totally get why they would not want to be saddled with that. It's so much better for them to be free to tell new stories without worrying about contradicting some previous book. It was a bit of a problem for some of the authors too at times, having that continuity and canon with so many novels out.  

• Like 5

I've never read the EU books at all, I've watched the movies numerous times and the Clone Wars, but never picked up a Star Wars novel. So it really doesn't matter to me if they went with the EU or not because I don't know the stories told there. i know that a lot of die-hard fans love the EU and really hated that Disney took canon away from those "legends," but it does give them more room to make their own movies and not have to stick to a pre-written script from books they may or may not like. Nodding to them in passing and adding some of their flair is cool IMO.

I don't hold it against them at all. I was a little sad that it meant certain stories would probably not get film treatments, especially Timothy Zahn's ones, but I totally get why they would not want to be saddled with that. It's so much better for them to be free to tell new stories without worrying about contradicting some previous book. It was a bit of a problem for some of the authors too at times, having that continuity and canon with so many novels out.  

Really does make a lot of sense to start with a relatively clean slate and give the occasional nod to the fans of the EU with some Easter Eggs in there and whatnot, but then tell new/fresh stories and keep with what people know of the movies/tv shows for their new movies. 

• Like 2

I am looking forward to this, I'm a total Star Wars nerd, I will see every single movie that Disney cranks out, in the theater, and I will purchase every single one, as well.

I will admit, Lucas did try to kill that SW nerd in me with Episode 2 (ughhh, those love scene lines....) I've been a fan since I saw the original in the theater back in the 70s! As for the female lead I can understand where some people might have a problem with it as it seems to be the trendy thing do these days (female ghostbusters, Hunger Games movies for example). Really thou I don't see why its such a big deal (thou I still will not see the newest GB movie even thou the first one ranks in my top 5 of movies). Now if they decided to release a special special edition of SW4 with only females as the characters I may take offense at that.  ::P:

I know they are getting rid of the books but my concern is that they say it in the movie. Although Just because Rogue one shows that group getting the plans (I'm guess) doesn't mean that Bothans spied didn't help them and they just don't show it. :)

And here is what a bothan looks like.

<snipped image>

I just saw on reddit someone clarifying that the Bothans died getting info for the attack on the 2nd death star. 

I think Mon Mothma's presence threw me, because I was with you, expecting Bothans to be involved at some point. 

• Like 2

I know they are getting rid of the books but my concern is that they say it in the movie. Although Just because Rogue one shows that group getting the plans (I'm guess) doesn't mean that Bothans spied didn't help them and they just don't show it. :)

And here is what a bothan looks like.

<snipped image>

I just saw on reddit someone clarifying that the Bothans died getting info for the attack on the 2nd death star. 

I think Mon Mothma's presence threw me, because I was with you, expecting Bothans to be involved at some point. 

I as in fricken AWE at the actress they got to play Mon Mothma in R1. Well done look a like! 

• Like 4

Now I'm excited. I think this movie is really going to decide how big the Star Wars movie franchise gets. 

If it's a bust, then it's likely that Disney will just stick to stories revolving around the Skywalker/Solo clans.   But if it's good, then that opens the doors to seeing a lot more original Star Wars movies about new characters and new places.   I gotta say this trailer excites me far more than the first Force Awakens trailers did, so things are looking up in that regard.

As that guy, RE: Death Stars and constantly having to blow them up without end, it's actually not an issue for me with this movie at all. It narratively subverts the typical Death Star story (and, more generally, the "big huge weapon" of any sort story) altogether. Indeed, I look forward to its not blowing up.

Hey, EP3 had a Death Star that didn't blow up. 

On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm and Disney removed all Expanded Universe works from the canon. They announced that the existing seven films and The Clone Wars television series are the "immovable objects" of Star Wars storytelling. Previously published material has been relabeled under a "Legends" label, and future content will present a different vision of people, places and events after Return of the Jedi. They also announced that all future Star Wars stories will be connected and on equal canon level as the films, with guidance coming from the Star Wars story group. Additionally, it was announced that the films of the sequel trilogy will not follow the same story as that of the Expanded Universe works taking place after the events of Return of the Jedi.

It has been said that the EU works are available for the new story group to mine for characters and ideas. And I got the feeling that the bulk of the story group are big enough Star Wars fans that they won't do things like turn Boomer into a woman. 

• Like 1

I am so looking forward to this. :blink:

The movie or the fan argument? :huh:

Yes!  :devil:

The books are no longer Canon. They aren't going to follow any of the books from the Expanded Universe they've said numerous times.

Maybe not the EU, but what about backstory?

I rather enjoyed the late A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy which detailed his youth and tumble into piracy, even if at times it felt like her hands were tied by demands that certain events must occur.

Nope.

Here you go:

Doesn't mean they can't steal liberally from the EU!

Okay, watched it. Suitably impressed! 

• Like 2

Doesn't mean they can't steal liberally from the EU!

Okay, watched it. Suitably impressed! 

Exactly, steal away from EU and not have to worry about sticking to "canon" for it all, have some really cool stuff and make their own stories with it all.

I watched it again tonight when I got home, liked it better the 2nd time around.

• Like 2

I have to say that, from the trailer, this one looks more interesting than FA. Meaning, I really enjoyed FA, so hopefully this one is even more awesome!

It helps that it has Mon Motha. I always wished she was in the first movie more. She looked so elegant, so sad about the bothans, so interesting.

When will they be releasing the ewok movie? :devil:

• Like 4

Well that looks interesting.   If the reviews are good I will go see it. 

I dread the Han Solo movie.  an attempt to capture the youthful charisma and playful roguishness of Harrison Ford seems likely to fail.

I am also not a big fan of stories that go back in and try to fill in the holes of a story/history.  

Mostly seen in novels: star wars and  dragonlance were the worst of the offenders.  add in the wolvrene origins movie... etc. 

has this ever worked well?  I mean its obviously profitable, but can anyone name a good story using this technique? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

I dread the Han Solo movie.  an attempt to capture the youthful charisma and playful roguishness of Harrison Ford seems likely to fail.

I am also not a big fan of stories that go back in and try to fill in the holes of a story/history.  

Mostly seen in novels: star wars and  dragonlance were the worst of the offenders.  add in the wolvrene origins movie... etc. 

has this ever worked well?  I mean its obviously profitable, but can anyone name a good story using this technique? 

There's a couple of young actors who can do a very good Han Solo, this is the guy who I hope gets the part, his name is Anthony Ingruber.

If movies are done right, with the right script and actors, origin stories have the potential of being good, I'm still optimistic about the Han Solo one.

• Like 2

Edward Lerner and Larry Niven filling in the blanks in the Known Worlds universe with Fleet of Worlds and sequels... They did a fantastic job of not only fitting the books in with the existing stories, leaving the existing stories intact, but also augmenting the original stories and adding layers of complexity to them. Basically, since the original stories were all written from specific characters' points of view, there's room to go in and retell the stories from other characters' points of view.

I honestly enjoy the original Niven stories more after having read the Lerner/Niven novels from years later. ::): 

YMMV, of course.

• Like 2