Rogue One Teaser Trailer

Chris Palmer

I wonder what the Bothans are going to look like?

Or if they are going to change the Canon again...

Also, will they follow any of the books about Solo...

Why would Bothans even be IN this movie?

Many Bothans died to bring us the information relevant to Death Star II in RotJ, not the Death Star I in ANH.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Bothans died to bring us the information relevant to Death Star II in RotJ, not the Death Star I in ANH.

The Bothan Spy Network was a vital element of the Rebel Alliance.

This is true, but there is no specific mention of their involvement in the adventure which Rogue One purports to document. Thus, I keep seeing all these cries from fans about Bothans, and I must remind everyone that there is no guarantee of any Bothan presence.

This is true, but there is no specific mention of their involvement in the adventure which Rogue One purports to document. Thus, I keep seeing all these cries from fans about Bothans, and I must remind everyone that there is no guarantee of any Bothan presence.

The best spies go unnoticed. Maybe they were at the top of their game pre-episode 4, but around episode 6 they got a little sloppy or the Empire finally got wise to them...

• Like 2

I still don't really understand the idea that Bothans are super spies. It would make so much more sense that they were just the best positioned to be spies for that particular information. 

358e8e49a802c895779ffb40e4520e0f6c430bfc

• Like 14

Well that looks interesting.   If the reviews are good I will go see it. 

I dread the Han Solo movie.  an attempt to capture the youthful charisma and playful roguishness of Harrison Ford seems likely to fail.

I am also not a big fan of stories that go back in and try to fill in the holes of a story/history.  

Mostly seen in novels: star wars and  dragonlance were the worst of the offenders.  add in the wolvrene origins movie... etc. 

has this ever worked well?  I mean its obviously profitable, but can anyone name a good story using this technique? 

Edward Lerner and Larry Niven filling in the blanks in the Known Worlds universe with Fleet of Worlds and sequels... They did a fantastic job of not only fitting the books in with the existing stories, leaving the existing stories intact, but also augmenting the original stories and adding layers of complexity to them. Basically, since the original stories were all written from specific characters' points of view, there's room to go in and retell the stories from other characters' points of view.

I honestly enjoy the original Niven stories more after having read the Lerner/Niven novels from years later. ::):

YMMV, of course.

hmm I stopped after the first 2 ringworld books (that was all there was at the time) 

- I found Prelude to Foundation works as a good "fill-in"  counter example as well.

My wife came home with Force Awakens DVD today. good wife. I have some problems with starkiller base, and plot rehashing but ..

the movie is undeniably fun to watch. Whee! 

Re: Bothans: 

I really liked the way they appeared in Zahn's books - as political opportunists, that supported the empire then turned against it, and some of the leaders bargained one operation to a seat at the ruling council.  No idea what they looked like, that wasn't the important part. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

I still don't really understand the idea that Bothans are super spies. It would make so much more sense that they were just the best positioned to be spies for that particular information.

Image in the spoiler not loading...

Image in the spoiler not loading...

I can see it in Safari on an ipad. :huh: Maybe it's your browser?

I think as long as the stories being told are good ones and the structure of the fictional universe supports them, it's great to have more stories. The Star Wars rebels cartoon is doing a fantastic job of telling stories that happened before ANH, sketching out the kind of universe that exists under the empire's rule. Because face it, all the original trilogy told us was that empire = bad. They didn't show it.

I also like that the rebels cartoon deals with consequences and propaganda. The heroes are cast by news agencies as terrorists and stuff like that.

• Like 1

Because the Star Wars E.U. functions(ed?) by seizing upon bit characters and throw away lines, expanding them into interesting, or ridiculous concepts (occasionally both).

Bothans worked as spies, therefore all Bothans are spies.

I know it's popular, but I am not really sorry to see the movies bulldoze and replace the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

• Like 4

Because the Star Wars E.U. functions(ed?) by seizing upon bit characters and throw away lines, expanding them into interesting, or ridiculous concepts (occasionally both).

Bothans worked as spies, therefore all Bothans are spies.

I know it's popular, but I am not really sorry to see the movies bulldoze and replace the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Some of it was good, other parts not so much.

• Like 2