Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

Looking for child miniatures.

Hmm, that's a toughie. Most of the child miniatures I've seen seem to be extra cartoony.

ETA: Your best bet mght be O scale model railroad people.

Edited by Pingo

Statuesque Miniatures has a scary little girl ("Lillie Poots").

Hasslefree has some, of course.

Spinespur's Orphans weren't too cartoony, if you can manage to find them somewhere. Big heads, but the bodies were fairly reasonable.

Most of those are modern, unless you can find Hasslefree's old medieval villager children set. Black Scorpion has a pirate set with a cabin boy that is pretty "normal."

I personally don't think Reaper's children are that bad. The modern set is a little chunky, but the villagers set is fine, really.

Thing you have to remember is that it is not necessarily a stylistic choice that causes child minis to be cartoony or thick. It's the fact that any skinnier, and they'd break during demolding. That's why they're so hard to find in "true scale," even amongst lines that are otherwise true scale themselves. Remember that cabin boy I just mentioned? Yeah, I broke one of his legs off in both the resin and metal variants. Same leg. Same reason; not cartoony enough to survive.

• Like 2

I love Hasslefree's child minis, but they have really exaggerated proportions, especially the medieval children.

I have a book of anthropometrics which includes visuals of average measurements for children at certain ages.

It's a good artistic reminder, because children are routinely depicted with the proportions of far younger children.

Even newborn babies have smaller heads and longer bodies than many people expect.

• Like 1

I like using halfilngs and sometimes gnomes...  Mostly works for fantasy street urchins as those shorter folk tend to dress a bit like....well, street urchins.  I guess you're looking for the usual offspring of the citizenry as opposed to stealthy or magical poses too....  Does make it a tricky one.

Edit:  Check Wyrd Miniatures and the Malifaux line as well.

Edited by BLZeebub