Sign in to follow this  
charcon

Pirate ship and some crew

I recognize that ship!  I have another by the same company.

That's an awesome ship!  Cool pirates, too.

• Like 2

Great job on both ship and crew.  Good luck on the rigging.  I rigged one of the fire as she bears line and it take up a lot of space.  OTOH it looks positively stunning on the table.

Pingo's Ship:

post-8022-0-69937400-1400275956.jpg

Comparing Pingo's ship, Black Moon's Bane, to the vessel in this thread, I have to conclude they are two slightly different classes of ship. Black Moon's Bane does not have the raised forecastle.

post-9103-0-82890200-1460127202_thumb.jp

But this ^^ ship does. Are there two different kits or optional ways to assemble one kit?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat.  It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles.  I need a fully functioning 3D boat!  Well, maybe not fully functioning.  But I want to build a cool boat!

I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now.  It's my White Whale project.  Always just on the horizon.  It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase.  One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.

I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies.  I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships.  So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks.  And the result wasn't  bad.  Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.

It actually turned out rather nice!  To my surprise.  But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.

The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.

and the figurehead was designed to be modular.

However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches.  I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did.  And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.

Here's the little devil himself.

Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in.  Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting.  I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site.  The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled. 

There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.

My hold up now is still those darn masts.  The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts.  The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts.  I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition.  And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails.  Any thoughts?

Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome!  I'll post back here with any updates.

• By PhantomAquarist
      Decided to take one of my pirates and turn it into a flashy swashbuckling pimp. Lol

• By Nightwing
      Here is the Drow Captain from the Grenadier Action Art: Monsters set. See my previous thread for the Thief Assassin to see the Painting Guide color recommendations. 

• By Pingo
      My birthday is imminent (precioussss), and my husband gave me this resin ship model from German manufacturer Gelaendestuecke.

I've never done anything like this before: Never worked with resin, never made a ship model, never tried to figure out rigging and sails (they aren't included in the model and even the masts are just dowels at the moment).

So ... Woohoo, I have no idea what I'm doing. But I figure it'll be fun figuring it out.

Here's the box

And the instructions in their entirety

The hull and the deck

The wooden bits, the mast, bowsprit, and railings

The cabin has a few issues. Note the little spot the arrow points to. That becomes relevant later.

It also has a big missing spot from a bubble in the back

And a crack and missing piece on one side

Okay, so here's how I've begun it.

First I scrubbed the resin pieces with a toothbrush in very hot water and dish liquid. There was a nasty waxy substance under the hull which I assume is mold release.

Once cleaned, the bottoms of the pieces were really shiny, which seemed like it would cause a problem with the epoxy adhering.

But sanding resin is problematic. Its dust is very fine and lightweight and highly toxic. Bad stuff to breathe.

So I sanded them underwater, with a few drops of dish liquid add to break the surface tension so the dust wouldn't float on the water. Resin really wants to float.

Sanding on the cabin exposed a greasy, waxy white substance where that little splodge was, something like a white oil pastel, and kind of gross.

Scraping it out exposed more of it within the resin and lost a few flakes of the surface. It can be seen, rather big in this picture of the ship as it is at present.

And here's a side view.

• By Smokestack
      I started putting together one of the ships I got from Renaissance games pirate kickstarter. I ended up with 7 ships, and this is the 2nd one I have assembled. Well started to assemble. It's been over 2 years so figured I would give it a go. 

Rensissance games is sadly no more. This is s great kit. It was $190.00 during the kickstarter. 

It it comes with 24 cannons. I think I will paint the cannons bronze.

this is about 5 hours into it. 

• Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)