Batman V Superman WITH SPOILERS -- this is the BVS *SPOILER* thread

Pingo

After this in the other "Batman V Superman" thread:

You know, it is hard not to spoil the heck out of this movie... so many, many things I want to rant about....

Well goodness, just start a new thread for it that says SPOILERS in the title.

I for one would be glad to hear your rants, having just heard a young martial artist express deep concern for the continued health of Wonder Woman's wrists if she continues to punch like that.

I figured we needed a spoilericious thread too.

Not really a spoiler, but my young martial arts friend said (pretty much a direct quote): "Nothing against Gal Gadot, lovely woman.  But she clearly has no martial arts training.  She pulled back her fist for a punch and I was all like 'Nooooo!  You'll break your wrist!'"

Same person thought very little of the movie's fight choreography, compared it to a little kid bashing two action figures together.

• Like 6

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh, that is the problem of movie choreography to actual practice in martial arts. While what usually looks really cool in films, to a trained martial artist thinks that's a bit inefficient and excessive, but that's hollywood in general. At least in my expierence, and I do have a black belt.

• Like 2

Your mom is named Martha?! Hey, my mom was named Martha too! Let's stop fighting and be best buddies! :wow:

I wanted to find Zach Snyder and stuff the script down his danged throat.

The reason why they were fighting made no sense, but the reason they stopped fighting somehow still managed to make less sense!

I have not been so ticked off at a movie since Phantom Menace.

I had a free ticket, and it was not worth it!

And then they added in the Death of Superman, for no good reason.

It was like they took three mediocre movies and stirred them all together to make a [REDACTED!] sandwich.

Bleaaaaarrrrggghhhh! *Foams at mouth*

The Auld Grump - but I did laugh when Superman did a 'Superhero Landing' - Megan commented 'You know that's got to be hard on the knees.' (Yes.. she quoted Deadpool while we watched Dawn of Jokers.)

• Like 11

Bleaaaaarrrrggghhhh! *Foams at mouth*

I wasn't nearly as upset as you and used some rewards points for 2 free movie tickets at the luxury theater. It was a fun night out for my wife and I, we were entertained even with the plot holes and bad script. 

Main reason I liked your post is because I'm a barbarian and love to see others foam at the mouth in rage! BWHAHAHHAH!

• Like 7

Gotham has been New York since Washington Irving wrote Knickerbocker Tales - long before comic books were a thing. (And, for the record, there really are caves under New York City. The Batcave is at least possible. The one that I have been in was used for making cheese....)

Metropolis... that wanders all over the place, from New York to L.A. - I am happiest with it being a cleaned up version of L.A..

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Your mom is named Martha?! Hey, my mom was named Martha too! Let's stop fighting and be best buddies! :wow:

I wanted to find Zach Snyder and stuff the script down his danged throat.

The reason why they were fighting made no sense, but the reason they stopped fighting somehow still managed to make less sense!

I was split about 70/30 on that, actually. Mainly, I was sitting there thinking "what a lame development for a movie." But at the same time, I was thinking, "psychology is a hell of a thing, and it's hard to tell what will 'humanize' the other guy in such a situation and diffuse it. Weirder things have happened."

But mostly I just recognized it as a lame development for a flick. Not to mention that you saw it coming a million miles away. When they shoved the "Martha" on her grave down our throats for the second or third time, I turned to my kid and said, "that's Superman's mom's name, too. I bet it'll be important later."

It was basically Chekov's Mom's Name.

• Like 1

As for Superman's death, when it seemed inevitable, I lost hope for the sequel.

My kid asked me as the credits rolled, "what do you think about them killing him in this movie?"

And I said that I thought it was a terrible development for any number of reasons. Firstly, it's only the second flick with this actor, and it's early in the development of the film universe. So they did something profound and huge, and where are they gonna go now?

Secondly, now they have to jump through hoops to explain how he comes back. No audience is going to tolerate that. Or buy it. Not to mention that bringing him back soon (as they must) will negate the emotional impact of losing him in the first place.

I told him that, even before Superman died, I had already figured out how I would have done it.

1. We know Diana is reluctant to get involved. Give her more screen time to show us why. Give one of the others a chance to try to convince her otherwise.

2. Instead of fixating on Superman's self doubt, play him up as a determined loner who thinks it's all on him to get things done.

3. Batman already is a determined loner who thinks it's all on him to get things done. Teach him a lesson. Make him experience some self doubt.

4. Have Batman hold off on that last Kryptonite bullet.

5. Now, when Superman takes on the role of martyr, and tries to carry the spear to his doom, surprise us all by having him stumble and fall, short of the mark.

6. Somebody picks the spear up. Who? Wonder Woman. She gives him some pithy, sentimental line about how he's not alone, or some such. She carries it forward, spears the monster. It grabs her by the neck; surely she will die, but then... its head explodes because Batman shoots it with his last Kryptonite bullet.

Teamwork. Friendship. Lessons learned. Bad elf fight ending. Explosive head. We're all in it together. Surprises us by being different from the book. All tropes achieved.

We all go home at least a bit happier, and the filmmakers aren't left with gigantic excuses to make in the next film.

• Like 9

As for Superman's death, when it seemed inevitable, I lost hope for the sequel.

My kid asked me as the credits rolled, "what do you think about them killing him in this movie?"

And I said that I thought it was a terrible development for any number of reasons. Firstly, it's only the second flick with this actor, and it's early in the development of the film universe. So they did something profound and huge, and where are they gonna go now?

Secondly, now they have to jump through hoops to explain how he comes back. No audience is going to tolerate that. Or buy it. Not to mention that bringing him back soon (as they must) will negate the emotional impact of losing him in the first place.

I told him that, even before Superman died, I had already figured out how I would have done it.

1. We know Diana is reluctant to get involved. Give her more screen time to show us why. Give one of the others a chance to try to convince her otherwise.

2. Instead of fixating on Superman's self doubt, play him up as a determined loner who thinks it's all on him to get things done.

3. Batman already is a determined loner who thinks it's all on him to get things done. Teach him a lesson. Make him experience some self doubt.

4. Have Batman hold off on that last Kryptonite bullet.

5. Now, when Superman takes on the role of martyr, and tries to carry the spear to his doom, surprise us all by having him stumble and fall, short of the mark.

6. Somebody picks the spear up. Who? Wonder Woman. She gives him some pithy, sentimental line about how he's not alone, or some such. She carries it forward, spears the monster. It grabs her by the neck; surely she will die, but then... its head explodes because Batman shoots it with his last Kryptonite bullet.

Teamwork. Friendship. Lessons learned. Bad elf fight ending. Explosive head. We're all in it together. Surprises us by being different from the book. All tropes achieved.

We all go home at least a bit happier, and the filmmakers aren't left with gigantic excuses to make in the next film.

That would have been a much better ending. It feels like a comic book story.
  • Like 4

Oh, hey! I know! Let's kill off Jimmy Olson before we even introduce the character! It'll be funny!.

I swear to Gogamagog that Snyder only read Dark Knight Returns as research on Batman.

And Lois Lane needs rescuing how many times?

How many people know their secret identities?

Oi!

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Finally saw it yesterday on an IMAX screen. And I can finally better understand why it wasn't popular with critics.

First of all the length of it. I knew it lasted about 2h30, and several times looked at my watch only to realize "It still has *that* long to go on?!" All in all, the movie *felt* endlessly long, and generally speaking I love longer movies. The Hobbit movies were fast in comparison. It's really what should have been two distinct movies crammed into a single one.

Most of the classic tropes about the characters just didn't exist anymore.

I know they wanted a darker tone for Supes, but seriously, this ain't no boy scout anymore.

The prophetic Darkseid invasion dreams were shoehorned in way too much. Seriously, it only works on Batman? And it was enough to drive him batty *cough* enough to almost kill Supes? Not permanently incapacitate, but K-I-L-L.

Kryptonite spear wielded by Supes. Wait what?! You got Wonder Woman right there who already demonstrated she is very powerful and good with weapons (but a lousy puncher?). But nah, an already weakened Superman (but suddenly not too weakened) will do it.

Fight choreography. I know they wanted fast action, and I understand that most of the heroes have super speed, but everything was mostly blurry. I realize now that IMAX is too big for fast paced action.

Gotham and Metropolis are apparently neighbors in this version, and only *now* does Supes reacts to the Batman? And Clark Kent has no idea what Bruce Wayne looks like, one of the most famous citizens of Gotham? What are Clark's qualifications as a reporter again?

CIA knew Lex was behind the desert massacre,, and didn't act because... government is paranoid and run by idiots? And those that are reasonable blow up?

Also, Lex created Doomsday because... evil ego that hates Supes?

Supes death... I know the original comic book Doomsday "killed" him, but you really needed this for the movie? Even though at the last split second of the movie something was happening with the floating pebbles. Have fun properly writing that up in the sequel.

It seems that secret identities are for wusses! Lex still knows who Supes really is. Again something to remember in the sequel(s).

"Martha, Martha, Martha!"

What did surprise me was how much I appreciated Gal Gadot/Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. She felt like the only character that did make sense in the movie. We even saw her using her golden lasso!

What did surprise me was how much I appreciated Gal Gadot/Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. She felt like the only character that did make sense in the movie. We even saw her using her golden lasso!

I did like the lasso. Short as its appearance was.

I came away convinced she and her lasso both needed more screen time.

• Like 3