TaleSpinner

Terror Bird WIP

So I am about to start he feathers.  I decided to make them like a Cassowary's feathers:

TonyKennedycassowaryEttyBay3.JPG

That seems most likely, as a Cassowary is the closest thing we have to a terror bird living today.

• Like 14

How are his tiny feet standing alone on the cork? Is that what y'all meant when talking about how there would be a pin running through that?

I've never seen a cassowary before. Those are feathers?! I'm really interested in seeing how you would sculpt that. It's.... furry feathery....

• Like 2

How are his tiny feet standing alone on the cork? Is that what y'all meant when talking about how there would be a pin running through that?

I've never seen a cassowary before. Those are feathers?! I'm really interested in seeing how you would sculpt that. It's.... furry feathery....

Yep, the leg armature pin goes into the cork about a half an inch.

Yes, they are hair like feathers that some primitive birds have.  I figure it is pretty close to what a Terror Bird had.

So I sculpted the rest of the neck skin and then added the belly feathers and finally feathers the drumsticks.  For now I am using the same technique for these as I do for fur, just with longer strokes.  I'll add the wings next, then the thigh feathers, and then build the final feather dome over all.  I may need to make the feet a bit larger after I get it all done.  They seem a bit petite.

(Sorry for the poor photo quality, I took these on my phone and I don't have as good of editing software here as I do at home.)

post-140-0-42971400-1461174362_thumb.jpg post-140-0-01279000-1461174361_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

So I am about to start he feathers.  I decided to make them like a Cassowary's feathers:

That seems most likely, as a Cassowary is the closest thing we have to a terror bird living today.

OMG, that baby bird looks totally like a fuzzy dinosaur. :wub:

• Like 8

OMG, that baby bird looks is totally like a fuzzy dinosaur. :wub:

FTFY  :;):

• Like 5

OMG, that baby bird looks is totally like a fuzzy dinosaur. :wub:

FTFY  :;):

Not to mention that they're incredibly aggressive. Just to give you a sense of scale, they're 6'6" tall and weigh 130 lbs, and the largest of the subspecies will attack humans without a second thought. They're giant turkeys that can kill you.

• Like 7

Looking good but I think there is a far more terrifying modern bird.

Native to New York...yellow...very memorable song...and measures close to 9' tall...the genus and species escapes me right now.

• Like 8

I want it!!!

And I want to paint it with those blue colours...

hmmm I do have Axebeak somewhere in storage...

• Like 3

Native to New York...yellow...very memorable song...and measures close to 9' tall...the genus and species escapes me right now.

Bigus birdiei

• Like 5

Bigus birdiei

Big Bird is attired for war.

Looking awesome!  And I love how you sculpt the actual inner anatomy, even when you're just going to cover it with more layers of greenstuff.  

• Like 3