This is amazing!!!! :wow:

The cloth and metal parts are really cool - I love the stippling, I'll have to try that on a crushed velvet cloak I'm working on.

I'm confused about the skin though. I don't see the 3 color parts in your reference photo, just a whole lot of red. And how did you mix skin colors? You used the rust and mixed the other colors with it to get skin tones? That's amazing :O

• Like 1

I mixed the rust with the green ocher and a bit of the olive green and creamy ivory.  For the shadows I mixed in red shadow.  the highlights I added creamy ivory and then the lightest are done with ivory and a bit of pure white.  So the actual skin tone is just a mix of things. Under the eyes I mixed in the soft blue to get a magenta and around the eyes almost used a few areas of pure rust red.  Like I said, it's weird and not easily reproducible because it's a lot of layers and trial and error with mixing.   :down:

• Like 3

one of those level-up moments was when he explained the hihglight under the shadowed fold of the cheek.  it was like a lightbulb!  You can see it more on our right of the front of the face- that thin line is actually deep int he recess, but because of the frontal light source, it reflects!  It added this weirdly realistic look to the cheek!

• Like 3

That sounds like a great class, close to the stuff I've been studying while doing the portrait in oils. I'm mixing skin tones from primaries and it's amazingly educational and makes it so much easier to build in subtlety, complexity, or bold contrast just splitting out sub-mixes in different directions.

I think a tough angle on a 3d surface is working the idea of lighting volumes from the front all the way around the head. Do you just go crazy Banshee and make it dark in back?

I've been going a bit bonkers about lighting in paint for a while now.

Wish I could've attended, I know from FB some of the heavy hitters that were there. What a talented bunch!

• Like 4

technically I could go light in the back like a 2 directional light source but with dark on the sides.  Or I may just go blue-black for contrast.  I may pick a different light source for the next bust to make it easier!  it was fun hanging out with everyone!

• Like 3

This is extremely cool, but also a little sad for me.

I really don't have the visual color acuity to mix skin tones completely from base colors like that. I'd wind up with some very off-looking faces. :down:

Stippling and cross-hatching, on the other hand, I could totally try, if I can get my basic brush skills to a high enough level! So, there's something to aspire to!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EvilJames
      Assembled my crew and prepped and primed them. 
      Two clopsen troopers, a lizardman recruit, sniper and another recruit/ chisler.

A gnoll commando, medic and recruit, and a cultist recruit/hacker and trooper.

Edit: It is a bit funny that My crew isn't using much of the actual Stargrave miniatures other than a few arms and guns, but then this is just the first crew, and I'll need some ruffians and pirates as well.
    • By GlenP
      Sea Storm is a resin female pirate bust from Altores Studios in 1/9th scale. The piece is basically the head/body, the hat, pipe, and a loop earring. I replaced the earring with copper wire. Apart from some mold trash where the coat and torso meet, there were no major issues. Primed with my dwindling supply of Floquil Railroad Colors' Gray Primer and painted with Reaper acrylics.

Questions and Comments welcomed... ain't no secrets here.

Glen

• By Mckenna35
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1904826165/blood-and-skulls

Story
      Wellcome to our biggest miniatures ever! Blood and Skulls ork rider is the largest and more detailed miniature in 70 mm scale that Nocturna models released in all of these years. This project is really monstruous and we need your help to fund it.
      Take a look at all the figures in the campaign, all of them are in 70 mm scale. Blood and Skulls is 28 cm high!
        28 cm total size
    • By Cyradis
      So I gotta say... the cast quality was so so on this. So I decided to hide that with "kinda dead". Very loosely inspired by Salem from RWBY. I put the figure down about 25% done for over a year then slammed it out in February as a "get it done" and to practice white hair before going to the next Vancouver paint club figure. Sucks that this one somehow also felt a bit like a self portrait by the time I was done. 

• By Maledrakh
      This is the "Soul Stealer" bust from Artisan Guild's welcome pack on patreon. I printed it on my Elegoo Mars Pro resin printer.
      This might be the first bust I have ever painted, not counting an Orc bust from the very early days of Forge World that I started but never finished and sold off at some point in the distant past (oh, the Folly of Youth).

So why this newfound fascination for busts? I hear you ask.

Well, it's the RCL again. "Bust" is a quarterly category, and since Reaper only make a very few busts, none of which are readily available at the moment (there will be a few released after Bones 5 fulfills later this year), the fine folks at Reaper have decreed that bust entries are not limited to Reaper product.

Did I mention that the RCL has been a fun way to choose what to paint? It really helps to keep things fresh and to motivate to finish the pieces I start. And now also to paint other stuff than I usually would.

I do not buy busts as they are generally outside my scope of interest. However, I do own one or two busts as .stl-files that have been parts of patreon bundles.
      And with such an extensive library of files at hand, once I decide to do one, it does not take long to make supports and print one off.

But what to choose? Tentacle-face or a human face?

Do you want to know more?

• Who's Online   16 Members, 5 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)