ReaperCon Fun Run/Walk

In this thread we have been floating the idea of a fun walk/run event we might do as a small group one day at ReaperCon.

While I don't have the time or ability to schedule anything formal which might be on the event schedule, be officially sanctioned by Reaper*, include a secured route with markers, traffic guidance, etc. as a fan organized event, we certainly have the ability as fans to come together in groups to do things simultaneously.

With that in mind, I open this thread as a place to talk about such factors as day or the event, time of the event, planning route/distance, and whether or not the community wishes to organize ribbons or other rewards for participants. I do strongly discourage the idea of a "first place" prize, but participation ribbons organized here would be within reason.

How long to allocate in one's daily schedule for the activity:

Common distances for fun runs are 1k, 3k, and 5k. A slow walker can finish a 5k in ~1hour, and a fast runner can do the same in 15-20 minutes.  By scale, a 1k even at a slow pace could be completed in under 15 minutes, and a fast runner in 3-5 minutes. 

Are there any other questions or concerns or ideas?

*since this is an unofficial event, there will be nothing about this in the program, and Reaper assumes no liability for injuries sustained in the event or the training for such. Participation is at-will and at-risk, and entirely because of fan desires to do so. Even my involvement is purely unofficial and is a function of my capacity as a free individual and not a corporate representative.

...and weather.  I hear it gets hot by midday in Texas... 

But choosing between bacon and a run might be really hard!

Morning is better. If we do it early enough, we have time to head back to our hotels, shower, change, and then eat a huge breakfast and be totally justified because of all the calories we just burned. ::P: (Runners will recognise this rationale. It's why runners often don't lose weight. :lol: ) And by that time of year, I'll be accustomed to temperatures dropping down to the 0C range. So a run before the full heat of the day sets in would be appreciated. :;): 

• Like 2

Saturday or Sunday seem like good days to me. 

Is the hotel in a runable area? 

If not a google search pulled up grapevine lake trail. hmm 22 minutes away. 

Google map shows a "lake vista"?   just on the other side of the highway .. (from Hilton gardens hotel) 

that appears to be a 1.6 mile loop trail.

this may be a winner. 

Edited by Evilhalfling

I'll check Lake Vista for suitability for this event. 1.6 miles is 2.5km so 2 laps would be a 5k, in theory.

My general rule of thumb for runs is to wake up 30 minutes before, to warm up, do the run, and reserve 30 minutes for after the run for showering/changing to normal non sweaty clothes.

Assuming a 5k time of 30:00-1:00:00 the event will need to start at 7:00, to be done by 8:00 for breakfast at 8:30 for activities to begin at 9:00.

Last year, I had a couple of nice walks: one to lunch and one to dinner. The lunch walk was to a place sort of like the Black Eyed Pea whose name escapes me that was about an hour away. The other was a shorter one to La Madeleine. The only dicey part of the walk was the area in front of the hotel without sidewalks.

With enough care, sensible precautions, and an early enough start, I'm sure that people could have a perfectly good walk/run.

Ron

I'll check Lake Vista for suitability for this event. 1.6 miles is 2.5km so 2 laps would be a 5k, in theory.

My general rule of thumb for runs is to wake up 30 minutes before, to warm up, do the run, and reserve 30 minutes for after the run for showering/changing to normal non sweaty clothes.

Assuming a 5k time of 30:00-1:00:00 the event will need to start at 7:00, to be done by 8:00 for breakfast at 8:30 for activities to begin at 9:00.

I love a morning walk, but I am not in shape to run any place. I do regularly take 2-4 mile walks.

A walk before breakfast sounds like a great way to start the day at ReaperCon! Count me in.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3

I would love a walk - my fitness watch thing gets so cranky when I don't walk my 10,000 steps. I would rather walk outside than have to go to the Planet Fitness next to the con site just to reach my goal! Maybe I can even work up to a slow jog by then - although my knee is saying no.

• Like 3