Sign in to follow this  
Kengar

*** Stuff

So there's Green Stuff, and there's Brown Stuff & there's the Blue & White Stuff. What's the difference? Why use one instead of the others? Or do you use them all? :huh:

They all have different properties.

My non-expert summary:

-Green Stuff: Good for details, not really sandable but you can cut it, cures flexible, doesn't really hold a flat edge. this is what I use primarily.

-Brown Stuff: Holds a flat sharp edge really well, cures brittle, can sand and file it a lot better, can't really cut it, more expensive.

-Blue/White Stuff: Only used it once, and I found it was like trying to sculpt with old poster-tack.

-Fimo: Never used it.

-Milliput: Never used it.

-Sculpey: Needs to be baked to cure, thin parts are very brittile, and it tends to sag under its own weight if you leave it too long before curing. Also sags under its own weight in the oven if you don't use an armature. Can be sanded, cut, filed, etc.

Milliput: good for bases and supposedly holds a fine edge because it has aluminum in it.

Sculpey/Fimo: These are both the same thing, just different brand names. Other brands are Cernit and Premo(Both made by Polyform products who makes Sculpey). They need to be baked at 275 to 300 farenheit for about 10 to 20 minutes depending on thickness, not good for conversions on minis. Awesome for basing work though. Super Sculpey is not as brittle as the colored or white stuff is. Prevent sagging by wrapping the sculpey around wire, using a wire armature or by propping it up during baking with something that resists heat and will not mar the clay surface.

There are actually quite a few differences between Sculpy and Fimo.

I don't use a lot of it for mini work, but I do special effects makeup and I use it there extensively. (for teeth, talons, horns and the like)

Sculpy is a LOT easier to work. Fimo tends to crumble a LOT before you wor it to a soft state. Fimo also doesn't stick to itself as well as Sculpy does.

Sculpy bakes to a hard plastic, where as Fimo's cured form is more rubbery and flexible.

Truth be told, I'm not much of a Fimo fan (I hate teh crumble factor), but when you're trying for something with some give and something not brittle, it really is better. But for everything else, I'd go sculpy.