Archivist demon- pic heavy

Marineal

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a few higher highlights on his revoltingly green body?

why thank you! ;)

I'll work on that. I admit that highlighting any more than this always makes me nervous. I have difficulty making the successive highlights smaller and then it gets messy. I'll practice on something else (I get to paint something else green!!!) and go back. 

Thanks!

• Like 3

I would try to vary the skin color for lighting more. He's almost all the same color. The parts that are well lit made lighter etc.

One thing I saw in the painting videos that was helpful. If you mix in white and black to lighten and darken then the colors become more muted and less saturated.

I did a demon with black mixed into the red and it gave a wonderful 'burnt' look to the piece.

If you want it brighter try mixing in a little blue or yellow instead of black and white.

• Like 3

Wow, fantastic job as he is. Such a characterful sculpt! I also love the book pages. You did a great job making them look old and worn.

I think your two big horns need for definition. The little horns seem to have more little ridges picked out in highlight. The two big horns look very smooth and uniform in color (excluding the base-to-tip color gradient).

• Like 3

I think he looks fantastic, especially the writing in the book!

(I'm not the world's best painter, so if someone else disagrees, listen to them)

The red binding on the book could maybe look a little dingier/faded so that it looks as old as the rest of the book.

That's a very minor bit, though.

• Like 3

I agree with increasing contrast on the skin (especially increasing the shadows, maybe just adding a bit of deep, dark green in the deepest shadows ) and adding some line details on the big horns. A couple things you could consider trying, though are totally stylistic choices, are to darken the underside of his fingers and hands to make it look like he got ink on them and (this is dependent on what base you have in mind) dirty the bottoms of his feet since he looks like he was running around barefoot in a dusty old library.

He looks amazing, btw. So much life and character. This piece shows a lot of skill.

Edit to add: putting a tiny bit of a dark wash or dark line around the rivets on the metal corners of the book will help them stand out a bit.

Edited by Keianna
  • Like 2

Everyone has pretty much said what I would have said, had I been here earlier, horns, shadows and highlights, dirty feet.

The pages look fantastic btw, great job on those.

So, I will just ask a question or two, how large is this mini?

Who makes it?

• Like 2