Tolkien Bones/LE advice and future suggestions?

Librariarch

As you are probably already aware, there is an official Middle-earth D&D 5e setting being released this Summer by Cubicle 7.

This will no doubt create strong demand for figures for people's campaigns.

I've noticed there are numerous figures already in production that will adapt well. The orcs in KS3, the Mountain Troll in KS2 (a tad Jackson-esque, but perfect for a big Olog-Hai or the like:  MORE OF THESE!), the ogres in KS3 (perfect Tom, Bert, and William-MORE PLEASE!), the Balor from KS2 makes a passable Balrog (assuming Balrogs have wings), many dwarves, etc. This is only natural, as D&D is substantially derivative of Tolkien and Reaper's choice of subject matter is substantially derivative of D&D.

Now obviously, lacking a license, nothing would be official, and trademarked names would be verboten. However, with this firmly in mind, my question is this: 

a) which figures already in production do you think work best as Middle-earth characters, monsters, etc., and

b) what would you like to see to fill out the traditional Middle-earth bestiary in any potential KS4 or LE KS, bearing in mind that as the actual number of different species of monsters will be more limited, a variety of weaponry, poses, armour, sexes, and the like will be  important

Edited by Librariarch

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to speculate on there even being a Bones KS4.  And if there was, fulfillment would be, when? 2018? 2019?  So it doesn't really help anything being released this summer. 

Besides, there's already a ton of licensed and named character figures out there from another company. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to speculate on there even being a Bones KS4. And if there was, fulfillment would be, when? 2018? 2019? So it doesn't really help anything being released this summer.

Besides, there's already a ton of licensed and named character figures out there from another company.

Sure there's licensed stuff--licensed, overpriced styrene GW stuff that looks like Peter Jackson, and licensed, overpriced Mithril stuff that looks like it was designed in the early eighties (because it was designed in the early 80s). Also, people in licensed-setting RPGs don't generally tend to play the main characters from that setting.

I'm sure that ridiculing my question makes you feel good, but: how does that help Reaper sell their existing line now or develop their line on the future? How does your reply answer my question?

Edited by Librariarch

Let's not start flame wars.

But, but, but...this is the internet. Isn't that it's whole purpose? :devil: 

Seriously, to address the OP:

how does that help Reaper sell their existing line now or develop their line on the future?

Honestly, I think it's a non-issue, and that for Reaper, actively trying to capitalize on it without a license would have a marginally more negative impact than it would a positive impact. Consider for a moment, that despite the entire fantasy gaming hobby being so heavily influenced by Tolkien, that how it's managed to grow to the size it has without any sort of major Tolkien licences in play.  Even the actual Tolkien licensed products have never been a major part of the hobby - they've always been dwarfed by the generic fantasy products.  

Given how Tolkien influenced our entire hobby, and has for decades, I think that trying to reach a consensus on what Reaper figures represent what Tolkien characters beasts would probably create more arguments than it would be helpful.  For example, if I had to name a single Reaper figure that represented Legolas, I'd pick Arthrand Nightblade, while I know other people who would swear it was Lindir, Elf Archer.  And while we could probably all cite passages of the books to defend our positions, the reality is that it comes down to our personal opinions, and opinions make it a lot harder to reach consensus. 

• Like 6

As you are probably already aware, there is an official Middle-earth D&D 5e setting being released this Summer by Cubicle 7.

This will no doubt create strong demand for figures for people's campaigns.

I've noticed there are numerous figures already in production that will adapt well. The orcs in KS3, the Mountain Troll in KS2 (a tad Jackson-esque, but perfect for a big Olog-Hai or the like:  MORE OF THESE!), the ogres in KS3 (perfect Tom, Bert, and William-MORE PLEASE!), the Balor from KS2 makes a passable Balrog (assuming Balrogs have wings), many dwarves, etc. This is only natural, as D&D is substantially derivative of Tolkien and Reaper's choice of subject matter is substantially derivative of D&D.

I was not aware of that RPG setting coming out in the near future, but there are a huge number of elves, and dwarves in the Dark Heaven line. Human adventurers also abound, including quite a number of plausible ranger stand-ins.

Are you thinking of anything specific? Tolkein-esque fantasy concepts suffuse the entire industry, leading to a raft of usable miniatures in Reaper's line and others.

• Like 4

Why do we need LOTR inspired minis?

We have elves. We have dwarves. We have a depiction of Gandalf.

Honestly, some of those elves could have used a Werner Klocke upgrade.

I'd love to know why, honestly. I am sure there is a reason, I actually do not know what it is though.

*accidentally starts conversation where there is more reason for him to have minis*

• Like 1

Regarding official LotR minis, I'm guessing the GW game has lost its appeal for many because a lot of vendors at cons and model shows I've been going to lately have been selling large lots of used minis from the lines (plastic, usually primed or painted to some degree) relatively cheap.  I also see many players unloading them on various forums, too.  So that may be a viable option.

As for actual Reaper minis, I think it comes down to your interpretation of the creatures and characters from the books and/or films so the answer to your question will vary based on everyone's individual thoughts on that.  I love the Orcs Reaper makes, but many will say they don't fit the Tolkien look of Orcs, but I prefer them.  The same with Reaper's Goblins.  I prefer them to the Paizo style ones and don't really care for the GW ones at all.  Also, Mossbeard and the Saprolings are some of the best tree people I've seen.

Although none of them are available in Bones yet, I put together a pretty good list for nearly the entire Fellowship (minus a decent Frodo and Sam) more than ten years ago... I'll have to see if I can remember them one of these days and finish that project.

• Like 1

Heh, a one eyed Gandalf figure! Call him Grim. Or Grum. Or Wodin.... (Odin used to wander around as a vagabond, along with his good buddies Thor and Loki - back when they were all friends. Odin was one of the inspirations for Tolkien's wizards.)

Seriously, some figures representing the inspirations of Middle Earth would be awesome.

The Auld Grump

Heh, a one eyed Gandalf figure! Call him Grim. Or Grum. Or Wodin.... (Odin used to wander around as a vagabond, along with his good buddies Thor and Loki - back when they were all friends. Odin was one of the inspirations for Tolkien's wizards.)

Seriously, some figures representing the inspirations of Middle Earth would be awesome.

The Auld Grump

How about

(This is an actual, if humorous, summary of parts of the Poetic Edda, and full disclosure, it's written, drawn, and narrated by my eldest child.)

• Like 2

The Auld Grump

How about

(This is an actual, if humorous, summary of parts of the Poetic Edda, and full disclosure, it's written, drawn, and narrated by my eldest child.)

She left out the strangest part of the creation myth - that basically everything was ice, until a cow came along and licked the ice into the form of the first hrymthursr - Ymir.... (Frost giant....) No explanation of where the cow comes from, but at least they named it....Audhumbla.... (She also licked Buri out of the ice... I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Northmen were concerned with cold weather....)

Very enjoyable video!

I say to the gods,

And the sons of the gods,

The things that whet my thoughts.

By the Well of the Worlds,

There is none with the might,

To make me do his will!

Voluspa

I always sympathized with Loki....

The Auld Grump, creature of Fimbulvettr, me!

*EDIT* Egyptian creation myth makes the Norse creation myth seem normal....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1