Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Pingo assays 03681: Nazera Bloodraven, Vampire

Reaper started on the 3600 numbers in 2012, so I think she might date to around 2013. 

I like where you're going with the colors. 

• Like 1

Reaper started on the 3600 numbers in 2012, so I think she might date to around 2013. 

I like where you're going with the colors.

Clearly I am no expert.

I took a break to paint up some Old School lead minis, but I'm back now.

I worked on her face. 

I made the mistake the last time I painted a vampire of using a little warm brown to shade the skin.  That's how I discovered that the presence of even a tiny bit of brown fools the eye into seeing a healthy skin tone.

This one I have painted entirely in pure shades of white and grey (sorry for the blurriness on the second photo).

post-8022-0-70608800-1465163067.jpg post-8022-0-47639700-1465163159.jpg

• Like 20

Washed some transparent Quinacridone Crimson right over her underpainted skirts.  All the Burnt Umber still shows through.

post-8022-0-86751700-1467729307.jpg post-8022-0-36045200-1467729315.jpg

• Like 17

Love the crimson!  Turning into a really cool vampire . . . just make sure she doesn't sparkle in the sun.   ::P:

• Like 2

Yep those eyes make her an adorable vampire!

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

I laid some Interference Violet and Interference Blue over her armor. 

These pigments are made from microscopic flakes of mica which have been coated with carefully calibrated thicknesses of Titanium White pigment, which in molecule-thin layers acts like an iridescent oil film does on a puddle.

The color shines from some angles and is invisible from others, depending on the lighting.

The effect is striking in person, although a little difficult to photograph.  I tried various angles and lighting configurations to see if I could bring it across.

post-8022-0-23553400-1467904824.jpg post-8022-0-38996900-1467904860.jpg

post-8022-0-55982800-1467904889.jpg

I then touched up the reds.  There are places where her cloak shows that I missed.  Mostly I was using blends and layers of Red Oxide for opacity and fire and Quinacridone Magenta for intensity and depth.  I painted reflections of her cloak on her shield.

I also varied the lighting here to show the iridescent effects.

post-8022-0-66166200-1467905005.jpg post-8022-0-72325800-1467905020.jpg

post-8022-0-37843200-1467905057.jpg post-8022-0-70668400-1467905064.jpg

The last thing I did was glaze some pure Phthalo Green into the shadows.  Normally this in an intensely bright blueish green, but it is also perfectly transparent and thus provides some real depth in shadows on reds.

post-8022-0-58003500-1467905165.jpg post-8022-0-98577900-1467905171.jpg

post-8022-0-46845300-1467905178.jpg post-8022-0-56779200-1467905185.jpg

• Like 18

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      What is a faux-prehistoric setting without Cavemen? The stereotypical fur-clad, monosyllabic unwashed barbarian that whacks a woman over the head with a club and then drags her by the hair into a cave?
      Or at least, sporting the "cave man" look that was popularised in The Flintstones and The Far Side.
      The reason these types are prehistoric lies in the name. Pre-history, as in "before recorded time". Which really is most of time.
      We don't really know all that much about prehistoric man other than what can be gleaned through archeology. We do know that there existed several different sub-species of humans concurrently up to about 50.000 years ago. Neanderthals would be one such sub-species, the Hobbits (Homo Florensis) another.
      Then we (or something) killed off all the others. Some evidence of interspecies breeding is still to be found in our modern DNA.

#628-631 These were only shown as silhouettes in the KS.

From left to right: Shaman. clubber, spearman, archer.
      These are technologically advanced cavemen, as shown by their use of the bow.

The Shaman. I call him Barney. He succeeded in the Quest for Fire.

The clubber, Thag Simmons. He will be known to posterity by the manner of his demise. (Should have stayed clear of the tail end of that Stegosaur.)

Fred, the spearman. Used stones of flint to make a sharp spearhead.

Archie the bowman. His right hand strategically placed to hide his embarrassing lack of arrows from the others.

These were simple and fun to do in regular paints on a black undercoat.

I come in search of the answer to the Riddle of Steel! What do you know about it?

These minis were finished June 14th 2020.

44086 Black Bear Tribe Cavemen (4)
      Bones 4 kickstarter, delivered 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
      Made in Bones Black PVC
      available from reapermini.com
    • By Glitterwolf
      I printed this on my Elegoo Mars, STL is from Gloomy Kid.

Vampire Lord in Bat Form, You're invited to dinner!

WIP HERE:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79298-lords-and-ladies-of-death-by-glitterwolf/page/13/#comments

• By Lostraven
      Here is another wizard from the Greybeards subset of the Bones 4 Core set. This one does have a metal version (SKU 03953) and was sculpted by Bobby Jackson. I had fun with this figure. I love the character in these wizard figures. This one is strongly reminiscent of Gandalf. Though I resisted the temptation to go grey I did sneak Gandalf's rune onto the medallion on the back of his hat.

• By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• By Lostraven
      I started working on the wizards from the Bone 4 core set. I was originally running through the usual themes - brown, grey, red etc. but this colour scheme on a different figure really caught my eye and I thought it would work on this figure. I didn't realize he was supposed to be an evil wizard until I looked it up on line (sku 03847 by Bobby Jackson btw). But hey evil wizards can like bright colours too, right?

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)