Sign in to follow this  
Shogun

Hook Horror Miniature

I am running Out of the Abyss for my table and we are coming up to the Hook Horrors Lair!

I am after 2 Hook horrors, any one got any suggestions?

Iron Winds has a Hook Horror in a dynamic pose.  I recall a different version from Ral Partha as well--might have to swim the Evil Bay for that one.

• Like 1

I'd just take the Bones Owlbear, remove it's handwings, and add on some thick plastic that's been cut into hook shapes...

I always thought they looked like weird Owlbears, though, and it's such a good pose for it...

• Like 3

Yeah I was considering using the owl bear but to cut and remake hook arms and try get rid of a bunch of feathers seems like a lot of work.

Hmm I havnt found any super good ones yet

Plenty of pre-painted hook horrors on eBay.

Crocodile Games has a scarab-ogre that comes with multiple head options, one that makes it look like an umber hulk, and two other insectoid ones, one of which can pass somewhat for a horror. It's big, that I can vouch for, but it's expensive. They happen to sell it in a three-pack, as well. For a fair discount off the regular price. Doesn't have hooks, though, just fantastically big claws.

• Like 1

If pre-painted plastic minis can be acceptable, WotC made 2 of them and then Wizkids made one. I guess some of them can be still bought on e-bay with reasonable price.

I'd just take the Bones Owlbear, remove it's handwings, and add on some thick plastic that's been cut into hook shapes...

I always thought they looked like weird Owlbears, though, and it's such a good pose for it...

Agreed...Rangy-looking things.

Normally I try not to do the pre-painted D&D figures but the bigger ones are sometimes usable .There are a few varieties of Hook Horrors in their different ranges and they're usually reasonably priced. There were also two recent Kickstarters that featured them and I think Mierce Miniatures either had one or is having one.. or it's available.. I dunno.. Mierce's store and kickstarters sometimes confuse me.

Ral Partha did one back in the day, in the AD&D line. the number starts with 11-, you can find them on the bay of evil sometimes...

Stoopid auto corrupt. ..

Edited by knarthex