Barbarian on woolly rhino

This is very early in the converison process - all I have done is replace his swords with the axe and shield (sculpting on a shield strap in the process). His legs were chopped off and will be repositioned so that he is gripping the rhino with his knees. His torso has been pinned to the rhino for stability. The rhino still needs to be cleaned up - lots of flash. Anyway, what I am after here is advice on the chainmail kilt I plan to sculpt for him. Should I make it all one piece and just have it kind of bunched up in front of him, or should I put a slit down the front so it falls to either side of the rhino's back? Also, I am toying with the idea of a light covering of greenstuff over the horn which I can then carve runes into, but I think the horn might be too slim for that to come across well. Any input would be appreciated!

post-26-1080505417.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points about the kilt - I was hoping for the slit to win out as that would be easier to do! :lol:

I will be sure to post the finished result - still unsure about the runes on the horn, but maybe around the base they would fit well.

Thanks for the input so far!

I don't think an unslited skirt would be very realistic, it wouldn't give him any manuverability when riding. You should include a slit on at least once side or ignore the chain skirt all together and put some kind of barding protection around the legs. Keep in mind that a chain skirt would bite into the skin of the animal and they proabably wouldn't like it very much. But that's purely from a realism point of view.

I don't think an unslited skirt would be very realistic, it wouldn't give him any manuverability when riding. You should include a slit on at least once side or ignore the chain skirt all together and put some kind of barding protection around the legs. Keep in mind that a chain skirt would bite into the skin of the animal and they proabably wouldn't like it very much. But that's purely from a realism point of view.

Well, maybe a slit over to one side would work. I plan on it being a fairly long kilt, so I think maybe you are right about the manouverability part.

Good point about the chain biting into the animal, but the nice thing about heroic fantasy and barbarians is that you can usually get away with less realism. :lol:

If you thicken the horn i'd recommend shortening it as well or as it may appear to be too, pardon the pun, nose heavy.. imho its too long right now anyway (looks to me like it could snap if it "gored" anything)

Hadn't even thought about that, but that may be a good idea. I assume this is what this kind of prehistoric animal really looked like, as it is part of a line of prehistoric mammals by DZ Miniatures, but I am not 100% sure. I first got the idea for runes on the horn when looking at my Grenadier War Rhino, which is larger with a thicker and shorter horn. Maybe I will just save the rune idea for that...

Yeah, just down at the base of the horn.

If you wanted to go really fancy, get some chains and lead them back from the collar to your barbarian.

By the way, I've just got to say this is one of the most original conversions I've seen!

Thanks for the input and the compliment - I have an even more ambitious one coming involving a leaping sabretooth and a female barbarian converted from the Warlord female demon sergeant.