This is a mild conversion of Reaper's Large Stitch Golem. The main piece is resin with a separately cast white metal left arm with a long, pointed weapon. The piece is about 1.75 inches (43mm) tall and is rather portly. Sections of the piece are sculpted with a loosely woven material that reminds me of burlap, so that's what I'm going with. The rest of the piece is covered with a smooth material that could be cloth or tanned leather, maybe even bare skin. It's anybody's call, I suppose, but I'm going with tanned leather. In keeping with the 'stitch' theme, the 'eyes' are two different sized buttons sewn onto the face. There's also a row of buttons going up the spine. The buttons are various designs with different attachment options - two or four hole. One button has none, giving me the impression that it's attached by a shank at the back.

That then is what I'm working with. The pics show the piece as provided. And a note about the pics - I'm shooting these on the fly as I complete each phase of the project. Formal portraits at the end, of course.

Questions and Comments are welcomed.

Stand by...

Glen

post-5109-0-23280100-1461815466.jpg

post-5109-0-00013700-1461815480_thumb.jpg

Edited by GlenP
  • Like 13
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...and speaking of pizza. The pie is made from a flattened ball of putty, trimmed to a disc that is a bit less than the diameter of the pan. The edges are then rounded and a shallow depression added t

Bob the pizza-slinging Golem is finished now - or at least finished to the point where I put it aside for several days then go back to it with fresh eyes looking for stray paint blobs, unpainted spots

Thanks for the comments everyone!   I've finished off the burlap here, again using the Warm Deep Browns triad with Muddy soil for the deep shadows and some Linen White for the higher lights.   The

Posted Images

To continue... The Golem's right arm was pie cut (a wedge shape) at the elbow and the forearm and claws rotated upward until one was vertical and the others slightly lower and at a slant. The joint was secured with a small dot of super glue to hold it in place while I marked the excess areas that need to be removed. The forearm was then broken off and the excess areas trimmed away. The forearm was reattached with more superglue and a straight-pin sized hole was drilled through the forearm and upper arm. A pin was inserted and super-glued into place to reinforce the joint. The idea was to help keep everything together while I cleaned up the joint and added some putty (Aves Apoxie Sculpt) to fill in the gaps and re-sculpt the elbow.

Turning to the metal arm, the weapon's pointed end was removed as was the part projecting from the back. The back area was smoothed over with some putty and marked with a slightly larger cross hatch pattern stamped with a square plastic rod. The idea was to re-create an elbow patch as seen on sports jackets from several years ago. There's method to my madness, trust me...

The pic shows the right arm fixed in place, while the left arm is just tacked on.

Qs and Cs are welcomed.

Glen

post-5109-0-86801600-1461860451.jpg

• Like 12

Moving on... The next stuff involved the creation of grater; basically Evergreen rectangular tube stock, two pieces of laminated Evergreen strip stock glued together, a bent paper clip crank, and a short piece of some unidentified plastic tubing for a handle. Put it all together and we have a cheese grater.

Next, some Aves putty mixed up and allowed to sit for 10-15 minutes. It was then rolled out onto wax paper to about 1mm thick and cut into a rectangular shape. I let it set another 10 minutes or so, then lifted it off the paper and place it on the lower portion of the figure. Instant apron.

The last bit was to cut out a disc of sheet plastic and temporarily tack it to the clawed hand. I bent the 'thumb' claw a bit and filed a notch to insert the edge of the disc's rim.

Once cured, I mocked up the piece to see if I needed to make any adjustments. Got lucky; non so far.

Anyone hazarding a guess as to where this is going?

Qs and Cs welcomed.

Glen

post-5109-0-52891600-1461942084_thumb.jpg

post-5109-0-34130400-1461942102.jpg

post-5109-0-98903900-1461942140.jpg

post-5109-0-75332500-1461942163_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

...and speaking of pizza. The pie is made from a flattened ball of putty, trimmed to a disc that is a bit less than the diameter of the pan. The edges are then rounded and a shallow depression added to separate crust from sauce. The pepperoni is stamped in with a plastic tube that has had the interior diameter reduced to give a sharp edge.

There's all kinds of chef's hats out there (Google Images is your friend), but I opted for something that was more-or-less traditional - basically a big white mushroom. The hat was made from a short cylinder of putty that was slightly squashed onto the top of the head to slightly bulge the sides. After curing a bit, the lower edge was trimmed and clean up. Once hardened, the top of the hat was added. It's thicker one one side and thinner on the edge that's turned down. Quite jaunty, I think. For a big white mushroom...

Glen

post-5109-0-17147700-1461985547.jpg

post-5109-0-32479300-1461985562_thumb.jpg

post-5109-0-29926200-1461985574_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Thanks, X!

To continue... I added a trio of buttons to the top of the apron. These are simple flat discs cut from plastic rod (again, Evergreen) using a straight, single-edged razor blade. I opted for the rear shank style, so there's no visible stitches. The buttons were super-glued in place.

The base was next. This is a 1.5 inch wood cube from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. The side are flat sanded on 9" x 11" 220 grit sandpaper followed by more sanding on 400 grit paper. This gives you a nice smooth finish. I don't sand the top or bottom - no one see the bottom and the top is covered with putty...

...which brings us to the 'groundwork'. Such as it is. I pinned the figure to the base using a paperclip and superglue after drilling the appropriate holes in the block and figure's foot. The next step was to mix up some putty - the previously mentioned Aves - and blend it into the figure's base and out to the edges of the block. Not sanding the top of the block gives the putty a bit more tooth to stick to it. The stones were left a bit irregular and a few dents and dings were added along with knife blade cuts to replicate cracks.

After a final check of the piece, the wood block was taped with blue painters tape (no sticky residue when you peel it off) and figure and floor were primed with Floquil's Gray Model Railroad Primer cut with about 20% lacquer thinner and brushed on.

Glen

post-5109-0-11811700-1462046175.jpg

post-5109-0-15393900-1462046186.jpg

post-5109-0-43109800-1462046209.jpg

post-5109-0-77350600-1462046226.jpg

post-5109-0-83407700-1462046240.jpg

Edited by GlenP
  • Like 15

Painting now! I started with the eye buttons - one a dark red, the other an orange brown. The back buttons were next; top to bottom: a basic green, a darker brown, brass, a dark red similar to the left eye,  and another dark brown. All stitching was done with the Aged Bone triad. In keeping with the overall color scheme, I kept everything in the basic warm colors family.

Thanks for the likes everyone!

Glen

post-5109-0-03818600-1462139654.jpg

post-5109-0-93759100-1462139664.jpg

• Like 13

How does the pizza platter attach and detach? I may have missed something...

Edit: some pizza servers will have buttons that display the logo of their establishment pinned on somewhere. That might be a fun detail.

Edited by TGP

Thanks all!

TGP, currently the pizza pan is simply perched on top of the two claws and held in place by a small notch in the 'thumb'. The two claws had their tips slightly flattened to improve the (future) gluing surface, while the thumb was notched and bent a bit forward over the edge of the pan. The grater is held in place by a small bit of blue-tack. Both help me to set up the mock-up and get my visuals straight. I will give the button idea a rethink; I had thought of a name badge 'Bob', but I'm still on the fence.

Now to the painting. I started the smooth leather parts first using the Warm Light Browns triad. A bit of Earth Brown to further deepen the shadows and a bit of Linen White to bump the highlights. I kept the colors in the same family by using the Warm Deep Brown Triad for the burlap portions. The pics show the smooth leather parts with a base and three(ish) levels of shadows and highlights. These are combinations of base+shade or base+highlight and glazes of the Earth Brown and Linen White. At this point, only the base coat - Earth Brown - has been applied on the burlap.

Questions and comments are welcomed.

Glen

post-5109-0-17602100-1462245892.jpg

post-5109-0-60125400-1462245901.jpg

• Like 13