Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
I have a painting WIP running, and I think it is going decently well - I am keeping up on it, anyhow.
I thought I would start a cumulative WIP on whatever random sculpting and terrain I do. It is a pretty big part of the hobby for me, and I enjoy it a lot, so I hope to keep it going on a personal level. While I am easily better at sculpting digitally (by a lot), I really don't enjoy doing it. At this point in my life, significant time spent in front of a computer is work, and I have enough of that to do. So, Ill post my ham fisted attempts to sculpt things for my personal collection below.
So...I have been having some really long and tediously boring zoom meetings, and I have found that I can't both paint and maintain a CYA level of paying attention, but I can crudely sculpt with clay. rather than working on any of my projects that require focus, I thought I'd work on something that can be haphazard to keep it light through the process. I have been obsessive over plant monsters lately, so I thought I'd make a tendriculos. Big, forgiving, and fun - perfect!
I had a marathon of meetings today, so I was able to jump right in and make some progress. Thus far all I have is an armature with a thin coating of polymer clay - but it's a start!
So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.
They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line. This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs. I am worried about getting a good hold.
So I have a few questions:
1: how to fasten these guys to a base? Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?
So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter. There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders. Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape. I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently. One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.
Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit. I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).
The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.
Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful. My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
So at Reapercon 2018, I scored the Duskwarden poster of Thregan Helmsplitter for my work at the auction, and of course, being the Duskwarden*, I have a couple of the minis as well.
So I was thinking of using him as my next PC, but as I have hair, I wanted my mini to also...
While working on another project with GS, as usual, I made to much, and decided to bite the bullet and do his hair...
What do you think?
Doesn't Jacob Knochengard look like me???
Having just started a 45 figure batch paint of guardsmen, I decided a side project may be in order. Just a little something I could fiddle with off and on to disrupt the monotony and I knew just the project.
About a year ago, after I finished my first commissar, I thought it would be a good idea to paint all my commissars differently. That way I could tell all of my HQs or elites apart, but wouldn't you know it after a couple games I realized it was completely unnecessary. Having already started down that path however I decided to press on.
Within about the first week of pondering different color schemes I had a great idea. Unfortunately I lacked the skills and hobby confidence to attempt it. This past year I've managed to learn quite a bit though, especially about sculpting/working with greenstuff. So I think it's time to attempt a Hulk Hogan commissar.
First up was locating a good reference photo for both his moustache and boa (see above).
As the moustache was the trickier of the two I decided to start there. In a twist of fate getting a good texture was the easy part, but getting the proper size wasn't. After some back and forth I finally got the size correct. Then it was just a simple matter of using a pin and a toothpick to achieve a hair like texture.
This is what you get zooming in, but at a regular viewing distance I think it looks good.
Next came the boa. Try as I might I couldn't get a good feathery texture going. I could get a good amorphous blob/coral like texture though. Much like the moustache it'll fail upon close inspection but I think with a good paintjob it'll hold up just fine.
See I told you that moustache is passable with some distance.
Now it's just a matter of letting everything dry before priming. I guess it's a good thing we have holiday commitments for the next couple days.
As with any greenstuff project you always end up with some leftovers. After adding a skull to the Hulkster's base I thought I'd share the wealth with a few random models from my desk.