Speak_Centurion

Where to go on holiday in America?

Believe me, I really did Google search this question to death before posting it here, but the internet is useless because all the top-rated results are commercial links, forcing me instead to use search terms like "best place to go on holiday in America FxxK" or "nice place to visit in Florida/Texas/California SxxT" - The addition of a four letter word being the only way to create an anti-commercial filter.

Almost all the results I've had so far direct me to Trip Advisor, but Trip Advisor is notoriously unreliable, and to complicate matters further, I am going alone, so I also need to find accomodation that won't overcharge me on a single-room supplement. And no, I don't want to go hiking in the mountains or white-water canoeing. Why do people on Trip Advisor think everyone taking a vacation in the USA wants to go hiking or white-water canoeing? Okay, maybe it's not that I don't want to, but what would actually happen is that I'd be dehyrated, tired, suffer from a bout of cardiac arythmia and get a broken leg. I think I'll pass.

Preferably I'd like to go someplace where there's not too much shooting or stabbings either.

• Like 3

Canada!

Seriously, you could probably get some very interesting deals here too for the same price and just as much variety (minus the hot sunny beaches).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Yes, as tinest rhombus says, you need to narrow down your interests more for us to help.  The US is a big place.  If you like  military history, I would recommend somewhere on the east coast.  If you like the Wild West, and cowboys, then someplace out west.  Would you like to try and go to a game convention while here?  Wine and dine in an urban setting, or explore small-town America?  

We need to know a little more about your likes and dislikes.

• Like 7

So, aside from not hiking, or rafting, or getting shot (why do you want to come to America again?) what DO you want to do?

Edited by David Brawley
  • Like 6

Pretty much what everybody else said; what kind of things are you interested in doing/seeing?

• Like 1

Many here have specialized knowledge of local matters as well as general interests which cover the entire US.

What are your interests and how much time will you have?

I personally find camping, hiking, and white-water rafting itchy and uncomfortable, however pretty the forested mountains can be.

Are you interested in history? Historic locations, museums, historical reenactments, antique shops?

Natural history, gardening, historic gardens and parks?

Are you interested in art? Performances, Broadway, Hollywood, orchestras, opera, rock? Collections, museums, American artists, galleries, fairs? Architecture?

Are you interested in food? Regional specialties? Fine restaurants? Genuine Americana?

Do you like to move around a lot, hitting a lot of unique locations? (The US is *vast*!) Or would you prefer to be in a small number of locations which hold concentrations of whatever you are interested in?

• Like 5

Additional question: What time of the year are you thinking of going there?

As to be expected, there are tons of seasonal events and festivals.

And depending on your tolerance for weather, you can go from subtropical to subarctic climate in the same week.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

Took a look at your profile, and grabbed your stated interests of bicycles, motorcycles, history, religion and politics.

I'd suggest flying to San Diego. There should be a motorcycle rental, possibly even a guided tour. Then you could drive up the coast visiting all the old missions that were built in California. Stop in Venice Beach to ride a bike along the beach walk. Hit a couple places in LA. Continue up the coast, again with any missions, ending in San Francisco. Tour that then take a flight back from there.

Another idea is to again do the motorcycle rental, but head east along old Route 66. That would be a longer trip, and maybe not as old historical stuff until you either get off the main road or find yourself further east.

• Like 4

What kind of holiday are you looking for? Do you want a fancy resort hotel where everything is taken care of for you,  or would you be happy with just a basic room and a fist full of brochures? Are you comfortable walking, taking a bus or train, or do you need a guided tour? Do you want to see just the famous sites or go off the tourist track?  Are you ok talking to a lot of strangers with different accents and skin color? Do you have a big budget or a small one?

There are lots of poor parts of America (that seems to shock a lot of foreigners) , and a lot of neighborhoods with immigrants but they are not inherently dangerous. You are unlikely to get shot or robbed here unless you are really stupid. 

• Like 1

As stated - depends on what you want to do!

You could hit up some of the bigger cities and go to museums and historical landmarks (Washington DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc).

You could go to some of the bigger National Parks for hiking/outdoors, such as Yosemite, Big Bend, Denali, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Grand Canyon.

Las Vegas is a place of lights, shows, night life, games of chance/gambling.

And much more!

• Like 3

Canada!

Seriously, you could probably get some very interesting deals here too for the same price and just as much variety (minus the hot sunny beaches).

Meh. Canada is great, but it's basically the same as England, just a lot bigger and with more snow - and I think I really want to go somewhere sunny and warm.

Yes, as tinest rhombus says, you need to narrow down your interests more for us to help. The US is a big place. If you like military history, I would recommend somewhere on the east coast. If you like the Wild West, and cowboys, then someplace out west. Would you like to try and go to a game convention while here? Wine and dine in an urban setting, or explore small-town America?
We need to know a little more about your likes and dislikes.

Pretty much what everybody else said; what kind of things are you interested in doing/seeing?

I don't really do anything... at all. Seriously, nothing. Imagine you'd spent the last 20 years doing nothing but going to work, shopping and staring at a computer screen; that's pretty much it in a nutshell. you know that birthday party you were invited to when you were 10 years old? I'm still waiting for my invite, life rather stalled after that point. That's why I desperately need a good holiday to cure my zombie-like status. I don't really care about sightseeing or doing anything in particular, I think I just need an excuse to get out and socialize. Small towns sound interesting, and it might be interesting to meet American Christians (if I can refrain from winding them up), you don't see many of them in the UK - I mean, you do, but they're a lot quieter I guess. I'm not into gaming, I don't really drink, and I never gamble, I'm not particularly into militaria.

What kind of holiday are you looking for? Do you want a fancy resort hotel where everything is taken care of for you, or would you be happy with just a basic room and a fist full of brochures? Are you comfortable walking, taking a bus or train, or do you need a guided tour? Do you want to see just the famous sites or go off the tourist track? Are you ok talking to a lot of strangers with different accents and skin color? Do you have a big budget or a small one?

There are lots of poor parts of America (that seems to shock a lot of foreigners) , and a lot of neighborhoods with immigrants but they are not inherently dangerous. You are unlikely to get shot or robbed here unless you are really stupid.

I'm thinking of going for 3 weeks and keeping to a low budget; if I have to, I can go up to £3,000 ($4,400) but I don't need much more than a room and a shower so if I can do it on half that amount, that would be preferable.
I probably am really stupid btw, it's something tourists do.

Go to Denton, TX this October.

"An estimated 109,000 residents of Denton County, face hunger and food insecurity, while one in four Texas children struggle with hunger and poor nutrition."
Maybe not..

Additional question: What time of the year are you thinking of going there?

As to be expected, there are tons of seasonal events and festivals.

And depending on your tolerance for weather, you can go from subtropical to subarctic climate in the same week.

I can go any time, so I'm hoping to take advantage of mild warm weather during a low season. Edited by ladystorm
merged sequential posts
  • Like 1