Getting To Know Each Other - May 2016

Crowley

Greetings! I will be your Question-Monger for the month. Ideally, I'll get the questions out early enough for those who see the day earlier than I do (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia... Most of the world, really) will see it, but no promises... But let's kick this off with a completely irrelevant topic, and one not at all related to anything in particular...  

Question for the 2nd of May: Have you ever volunteered for something without any preparation or thinking through the possible consequences? If so, what? 

• Like 8

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the 2nd of May: Have you ever volunteered for something without any preparation or thinking through the possible consequences? If so, what?

Yes.

I have donated blood more than a few times. Never really did any advance prep. Many times it was somebody saying, "blood drive today, can we sign you up?"

Me: "Uh, sure."

Never had any of the feared consequences: lightheaded-ness, fainting, weakness, etc. (I saw that happen to a 25 year old woman once, but it would seem I am immune to such things.) I have a pin from the Local Blood Bank that says 7 gallons...never fainted once.

The last time I tried was a huge fail, though. The machine I was hooked to asploded. Didn't hurt me. But the "kit" inside the machine failed and splattered a big ole mess all over its insides. They got less than a third of a pint out before it failed but I am still deferred for eight weeks. ::(: at this point maybe only another five weeks. :mellow:

• Like 7

TGP's response made me wonder whether by "volunteered" we are talking about Volunteering in the social, civic way (cleaning up trash, helping the elderly, working in a soup kitchen, etc.), or we are just talking about voluntarily agreeing to or signing up for something (such as stepping in last minute to sing for a friend's band at a gig, or giving everybody a ride to the club, etc.).

• Like 3

I suppose today's question could be about the time you volunteered to watch other people work and got paid time and a half for it, or the time you volunteered to take someone else's shift, or the time you volunteered to work an air show, or the time you 'volunteered' to play golf because work needed warm bodies to fill out groups of four only you'd never before played golf...

...anything where you said 'count me in' without knowing much detail beforehand ought to be a valid response.

Today's question probably had nothing to do with this:

...Quisitor...Question-Monger...

...who that will be for May is still under 'ponderation'.

Well, if you want to think about pondering my way...

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

No; I don't give my word to do anything unless I'm sure I can keep it. Once I've made a commitment I will do anything to fulfill it...to limit possible legal consequences, I think out my promises before making them.

• Like 7

Greetings! I will be your Question-Monger for the month. Ideally, I'll get the questions out early enough for those who see the day earlier than I do (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia... Most of the world, really) will see it, but no promises... But let's kick this off with a completely irrelevant topic, and one not at all related to anything in particular...  

I joined the Navy.

• Like 10

I suppose today's question could be about the time you volunteered to watch other people work and got paid time and a half for it, or the time you volunteered to take someone else's shift, or the time you volunteered to work an air show, or the time you 'volunteered' to play golf because work needed warm bodies to fill out groups of four only you'd never before played golf...

...anything where you said 'count me in' without knowing much detail beforehand ought to be a valid response.

Today's question probably had nothing to do with this:

...Quisitor...Question-Monger...

...who that will be for May is still under 'ponderation'.

Well, if you want to think about pondering my way...

Where would you get a crazy idea like that? :upside:

• Like 3

TGP's response made me wonder whether by "volunteered" we are talking about Volunteering in the social, civic way (cleaning up trash, helping the elderly, working in a soup kitchen, etc.), or we are just talking about voluntarily agreeing to or signing up for something (such as stepping in last minute to sing for a friend's band at a gig, or giving everybody a ride to the club, etc.).

We have a phrase we use around here: Voluntold.  It's when you're told you've been volunteered to do something, usually by a spouse or lover.  So, y'know, ya do it.  ::P:

• Like 9

Worked with my arch nemesis.

Took on a third job.

Covered one department, while covering another department.

Had a family member move in and stay awhile without paying rent.

Had friend move in without paying rent.

Offered to move in with a friend because they were having hard times.

Donated a huge sum of money to a kickstarter for no good reason, for something that will never get finished.

Actual "volunteer work" though? Not since highschool.

• Like 5

I have volunteered to do things I really didn't want to do but I usually knew what I was getting into. I do things for friends/family even knowing I will be miserable because I am trying to be nice. I have got to stop that!

• Like 4

We have a phrase we use around here: Voluntold.  It's when you're told you've been volunteered to do something, usually by a spouse or lover.  So, y'know, ya do it.  ::P:

I get Voluntold every day I am at work.

What do you do? Yes is the only valid reply.

• Like 2

Volunteered to be Cubmaster for my son's Cub Scout pack. Didn't think about the personalities of the other leaders.

They didn't follow through on promises that they made when I was recruited and I ended up resigning about 8 months into the year. After that year, we moved to a different pack. I later found out that the pack collapsed that year, from the same sort of problems that caused me to resign.

• Like 3

Spent a whole childhood being voluntold by my old man, for everything from taking out the trash, to Little League, to various organizations in high school.

So... no. Made a point of evaluating what I was getting into as an adult.

• Like 5

I'm actually really bad for that. If a friend needs help, I offer to help. I often regret those offers immediately. :lol: I've gotten better about thinking about things before volunteering to help, but I still volunteer for some dumb stuff sometimes. Luckily most of the craziest stuff has fallen through before I needed to help with it. :lol:  For the most part, once I volunteer, I do everything within reason to follow through; exceptions include times when the amount of help required turns out to be significantly greater than originally described (e.g. "help me build a super quick, rough work surface" turning into "build a complex, adjustable, beautifully-finished desk") or when my help would be largely irrelevant, like when I offer to help someone move but they already have like 20 people helping. 

• Like 6