Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know Each Other - May 2016

Question for the 2nd of May: Have you ever volunteered for something without any preparation or thinking through the possible consequences? If so, what? 

Nope. Well, except for the first time I donated blood, on a super hot day, then got all woozy and stuff. I got extra cookies for that though ^_^
  • Like 6

Probably the one time I volunteered to run a large SCA event, but I was promised (and got) a lot of help from others, so no big deal.

• Like 3

Question for the 2nd of May: Have you ever volunteered for something without any preparation or thinking through the possible consequences? If so, what?

Joined The RNLAF ( Royal Netherlands Air Force).

• Like 6

Greetings! I will be your Question-Monger for the month. Ideally, I'll get the questions out early enough for those who see the day earlier than I do (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia... Most of the world, really) will see it, but no promises... But let's kick this off with a completely irrelevant topic, and one not at all related to anything in particular...  

Pretty much every time work asks me to pull overtime. It ends up being different than what I was told.

• Like 3

TGP's response made me wonder whether by "volunteered" we are talking about Volunteering in the social, civic way (cleaning up trash, helping the elderly, working in a soup kitchen, etc.), or we are just talking about voluntarily agreeing to or signing up for something (such as stepping in last minute to sing for a friend's band at a gig, or giving everybody a ride to the club, etc.).

We have a phrase we use around here: Voluntold.  It's when you're told you've been volunteered to do something, usually by a spouse or lover.  So, y'know, ya do it.  ::P:

I get Voluntold every day I am at work.

What do you do? Yes is the only valid reply.

That depends on where you work and what you do.  :poke:

To answer the actual question, I volunteer for stuff on a whim semi-regularly.  Some of it is actual charity work, some of it is helping a friend or neighbor; very little of it is contemplated deeply.  I embrace a certain Eff it, let's do this approach to some things in life.  :lol:

• Like 3

Greetings! I will be your Question-Monger for the month. Ideally, I'll get the questions out early enough for those who see the day earlier than I do (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia... Most of the world, really) will see it, but no promises... But let's kick this off with a completely irrelevant topic, and one not at all related to anything in particular...  

Yes. No stuff, there we were:

In 2009, my then-girlfriend and I bought a medieval pavilion for taking to SCA camping events. We wanted a lot of practice with it before going to Pennsic, so we went out of our way to go to as many camping events as possible beforehand. Usually it was pretty easy to find people to camp with, but for one of these events, Northern Region War Camp, we weren't really close to anyone who was camping. However, we did know Liam St. Liam, who knows everyone, so we asked him if he knew anyone who was looking for campmates. He didn't, but he did know that the event staff needed someone to do the traditional pork roast. Now normally, they slow roast an entire pig, which is a huge undertaking, but both the pig and the spit fell through, so they were going to substitute with some storebought pork loin.

Saturday morning comes and we are running through our mental checklist. Grills, check. Charcoal for the charcoal grills, check. Propane for the propane grills, check. Aluminum Foil, check. Salt+Pepper, check. We hit up a friend of ours who's a cook who provides us with a quart of minced garlic (because who doesn't have a quart of minced garlic just lying around?). Easy, peasy, right?

Enter the Porktopus.

The event head's assistant rolls into camp with a drop freezer in the back of his truck. It seems that 100 lb. of pork loin had been dumped into it and when the meat froze, it froze into a tangled, tentacular mess that could not be extricated. He had hoped that leaving the drop freezer unplugged and on its side would allow warm air to get in, but...not so much. Familiar as I am with thermodynamic propagation (at last, I get to use my engineering degree!), I hook up a hose to one of the site's water spigots and plug it into the mass of meat, creating Swinagra Falls. The water is frigid, barely above freezing, but it will suck the cold away from the innermost depths of the frozen mass much faster than the hot July air would, acting only on the outside.

Faced with the inexorable passage of time, we have no hope but to light the grills and pray the meat will be ready by the time they're hot. It was not. However, one of the pork loins had become partially flexible, so there was some hope that maybe -- maaaaybe -- we would be able to get the pork out. So I braced one foot on the freezer, wrapped my hands around the frosted meat, and pulled as hard as I could.

*Fwoop!*

All of the pork loins become dislodged at once, flying up into the air as I fall flat on my prat, tubes of meat raining down on me. We remove the plastic wrappers, dredge them in garlic, salt, and pepper, wrap them in foil, and then put them in the grills. Two hours later, the meat starts getting done enough to check and we start going through, sorting between the loins that are mostly done and the loins that are mostly undone, when one of the legs of a little weber tripod grill collapses, dumping its contents on the ground. We put out the burning charcoal and rearrange the meat, and the cooking goes on...

We start arranging the done pork loins in the smoker rack of the largest grill and the event staff comes by, see that we are soaking wet with sweat, pork blood, and mountain spring water, and that the pork loin is delicious. They gather some people to serve food while we clean up, and later on we hear that the King thinks the meat is fantastic, and is going to call us up into court to thank us for it. And indeed he does, and thanks us for our efforts, and offers to Ennoble us, but his herald (who was our Queen the previous winter), leans over and says she'd already taken care of it, and a good time was had by all.

Side note: This is why, even though I'm an actor, I don't do improv. Even knowing that we were going to get called up, the moment it happened, every last thought just fell out of my head and my then-girlfriend (now wife), had to say our Your-Very-Welcome-Your-Majesties and literally drag me back down to my seat.

Edited by etherial
  • Like 6

TGP's response made me wonder whether by "volunteered" we are talking about Volunteering in the social, civic way (cleaning up trash, helping the elderly, working in a soup kitchen, etc.), or we are just talking about voluntarily agreeing to or signing up for something (such as stepping in last minute to sing for a friend's band at a gig, or giving everybody a ride to the club, etc.).

We have a phrase we use around here: Voluntold.  It's when you're told you've been volunteered to do something, usually by a spouse or lover.  So, y'know, ya do it.  ::P:

Agreed. When we find out you've been volunteered by somebody else, we say you done got voluntold.

• Like 5

All the freaking time... <_<

I have a helpful streak in me a mile wide and can't ever seem to say the word "N.....", Let's try that again, "nnnnnn....". Ok, lets just say the opposite of "Yes".

This propensity gets me in trouble with my wife and overloaded in life way more often than I would like.

• Like 5

That's how I ended up as a union rep.

• Like 2

I'm not normally a nice enough person to volunteer for things.

But, at my first ever anime convention, the friend I went with convinced me to also sign up as a con helper (to get free snacks and drinks).

As we weren't friends with the con staff, we got stuck with the jobs no one wanted including, spending all Friday night/Saturday morning manning the 24 hour screening room (dealing with drunks and watching some godawful romance show about a girl in a wheelchair with amnesia), spending all Saturday manning the tiny and hot (and empty) live-action screening room, almost spending Saturday night/Sunday morning manning the 24 hour room again (we threatened to just walk out and they finally got someone else to cover it).

By Sunday we'd decided to basically hide in our rooms.

Did not make the same mistake the next con.

• Like 3

I can't count the number of times I've volunteered without thinking of the consequences. Whether that be volunteering at a con for an exhibitor AND to teach paint class (consequence, no time to see the con) or helping friends with a mystery project (consequence-sore, fatigue, bumps and bruises, seeing things best left to the individuals I was helping). Perhaps it's even been taking care of someone's kid so they can have a date night or go to an appointment (surprise! Kid is sick! And now you will be too for the next month!). I sometimes feel like no good deed goes unpunished. Yet I keep doing it anyway because....love? Masochist? Not really sure ;)

• Like 6

MQ2: I generally think through the ramifications of volunteer opportunities before volunteering.

• Like 2

Things are still a bit hazy but it may have been how I ended up married with kids...

• Like 5

I have, apparently, volunteered to raise a child. There's no way that I've thought the consequences through, and I'm 90% sure that the little preparation I have had won't help me in the slightest.

• Like 8