Getting To Know Each Other - May 2016

Strangely, I still roll poorly when I'm GMing.  Not quite as bad, mind you, but for some time it was a running joke that Star Wars Stormtroopers could shoot better.

I have the opposite problem. I roll spectacularly well when I'm DMing, to the point that I've nearly wiped the party with pretty wimpy encounters - I'm talking about 8th-level adventurers nearly being wiped by wimpy & stupid (ie non-Tucker's) kobolds. Using the exact same dice as a player, I roll pretty much average, maybe a little on the low side. 

kobolds: surprisingly fierce. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MQ12: the only gaming ritual I have is I try out each of my D20s before a session, to see which one is rolling highest.  It's silly, because my dice are Game Science Precision Dice, specifically engineered to be evenly weighted, but I still do it every time.

• Like 3

Argh, Trying again.

Lots for D&D

New dice for new players to the hobby that I bring in. Was a custom that was brought to me, so I have chosen to carry it forward.

TPK nightmare: Usually if my players get immediately melted in the first couple of rounds of combat, they wake up somewhere with the good fortune of pretending it didn't happen. Count is at four to date.

Pencils. I have a box. Anyone who is in a situation where they do not have a pencil will probably be shot, there is usually a pile of them on the table. If you can't find a pencil, you have some sort of problem that can only be solved by evacuating this plane.

Ugly Dice: I have a box of ugly / free dice. Possibly used.

Smashed dice. I have a hammer, I have defective dice. 5 ones in a row means it gets smashed to pieces.

• Like 4

Question for the 12th of May: Do you have any hobby/gaming rituals? Blowing on dice? Always playing a specific piece of music? Making sure your paint water and drinking water are on the correct sides of the table?

While I don't consider it a ritual, I tend to put the dice I'm using with the highest # on top, even when I'm GMing. Habit I guess.

• Like 5

Question for the 12th of May: Do you have any hobby/gaming rituals? Blowing on dice? Always playing a specific piece of music? Making sure your paint water and drinking water are on the correct sides of the table?

Specific dice for specific characters.

Painting/writing areas MUST be clean, organized, and quiet. Absolutely no interruptions. If I can't have that I can't paint or write. Noisy, hyper kids are the biggest cause of my slow progress.

• Like 3

Greetings! I will be your Question-Monger for the month. Ideally, I'll get the questions out early enough for those who see the day earlier than I do (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia... Most of the world, really) will see it, but no promises... But let's kick this off with a completely irrelevant topic, and one not at all related to anything in particular...  

Question for the 2nd of May: Have you ever volunteered for something without any preparation or thinking through the possible consequences? If so, what? 

I volunteered to help with Special Olympics Golf. I thought it would be nice helping disabled kids but the problem was, at the time I had only just started learning golf myself. The person who convinced me to do it was like "nah, it'll be fun". It was but I was absolutely zero help for anything more than writing down scores, carrying things, and holding flags on the green.

EDIT: Just saw that there's a different question.. I'll answer that too :)

Edited by 4tonmantis
  • Like 2

Gaming

When I'm prepping for an adventure I try to make sure I have miniatures for as much as possible. It kinda irks me when I don't. To the point that I started learning to sculpt.

Sculpting

When I'm sculpting I tend to drop the putty not being used in the water I keep to the side. In my mind it's colder than room temperature so it will slow the curing.

Painting

I am not a full-fledged brush licker but I re-point my brushes with my lips.

• Like 2

Gaming

When I'm prepping for an adventure I try to make sure I have miniatures for as much as possible. It kinda irks me when I don't. To the point that I started learning to sculpt.

Sculpting

When I'm sculpting I tend to drop the putty not being used in the water I keep to the side. In my mind it's colder than room temperature so it will slow the curing.

Painting

You haven't gotten the memo yet? :blink:

• Like 2

Gaming

Sculpting

Painting

:unsure: Which memo??? Arg!

If it's about the paints, I do it after rinsing them.

If it's that this makes me a full-fledged brush licker then I am in firm denial ^_^

• Like 2

Gaming

Sculpting

Painting

If it's that this makes me a full-fledged brush licker then I am in firm denial ^_^

I'm just gonna leave this here for you.

• Like 3

Gaming

Sculpting

Painting

Pingo may have to borrow Bonk from Ary...

• Like 3

Gaming

Sculpting

Painting

Seeing as how I'm already tempting fate with cigars and booze, is there another way to repoint the brushes because I don't do it for any other reason as it was all I know..

• Like 1

I was going to say not really, but then I remembered one:  using the most appropriately colored or patterned dice from my collection for each specific roll.  For example, casting a flight spell would require blue (sky) dice, or dice with birds on them.

• Like 4