Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know Each Other - May 2016

Can we eat these cookies?  Asking for a friend.

You drive the black sedan with a blown tail light, the front right tire that's almost bald, and the small scratch on the driver's side door, just above the pinstriping, right?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 7

In the garage now is my old wood dining table. Part of it, down on one end, is a gnarled mass of cyanoacrylate, now a permanent part of the wood. Someday I'll sand it off and refinish the tabletop.

&*%$# cat.

You glued the cat to your table?

No, the CAT nearly glued the cat to the table. I foolishly left a half finished project on the table overnight, and found it on the floor the next morning, and a great knob of petrified crazy glue where there had been a bottle of Zap a Gap...

• Like 5

Question for the 19th of May: Can you add "asking for a friend" to a sentence and have it not sound sinister? If so, what is it.

Bonus question: Add "asking for a friend" to a sentence to make it sound really sinister.

I was asking for a friend to help me with my painting skills.

I was asking for a friend to help me rob Gringotts

• Like 4

Question for the 19th of May: Can you add "asking for a friend" to a sentence and have it not sound sinister? If so, what is it.

Bonus question: Add "asking for a friend" to a sentence to make it sound really sinister.

I was asking for a friend to help me with my painting skills.

I was asking for a friend to help me rob Gringotts

I wonder what the galleon to dollar exchange rate is right now.....

• Like 2

Question for the 18th of May: Can you add "asking for a friend" to a sentence and have it not sound sinister? If so, what is it.

Bonus question: Add "asking for a friend" to a sentence to make it sound really sinister. 

Is there a gas station nearby...asking for a friend

What is the most efficient manner of disposing of approximately 200 pounds of  semi solid organic matter?...asking for a friend

• Like 4

Question for the 18th of May: Can you add "asking for a friend" to a sentence and have it not sound sinister? If so, what is it.

Bonus question: Add "asking for a friend" to a sentence to make it sound really sinister. 

This actually happened to me recently so I'll use this as the example.

Hey [name], do you still have that opening for [job]?  Asking for a friend."

And yes, I really was asking for a friend.

What would you do if you found Buglips in drag at your home?........Asking for a friend.

I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my mind  :zombie:

As a result, I'm frightened to even try to think of anything worse.

• Like 5

Question for the 20th of May: What's one monster that you've never used/fought in a game and really want to? 

• Like 2

Question for the 20th of May: What's one monster that you've never used/fought in a game and really want to? 

The Crimson Bat. But that would require a party of Runelord/Priests that had completed several Heroquests and I don't see that as being at all likely.

• Like 3

A Sphinx. I am coming up with riddles for the adventure!

• Like 5

Stirges.

I've fought them while playing, but never got to use them while DMing - literally, the one time I introduced them into an encounter I was point-blank informed by my players that I was wrong and they were actually something else. And then they provided me with a long list of suggestions, most of which were actually tougher monsters. I never did manage to get them to tell me why they were so vehemently against fighting stirges, but one of them threatened to stab me with a pen if I asked again, so I let it drop.

• Like 7

Snuffleupagus.

Next question please.

• Like 5

Dinosaurs = never used/fought.

Loxo = never used/fought but really wanted to use.

• Like 4

I had once gotten a glabrezu demon in the D&D miniatures box, but I never had the chance to use him.  When I was DMing I named him Glabby and he became my mascot. If people started getting out of line I always threatened to drop him onto the map. I actually did once, because we were playing the Shackled City Adventure Path and it actually required a glabrezu. Unfortunately, after the first round it appeared, we had to end our session, and then the group decided to start doing a different adventure instead.

• Like 4

Stirges.

I've fought them while playing, but never got to use them while DMing - literally, the one time I introduced them into an encounter I was point-blank informed by my players that I was wrong...

The one time I fought Stirges I didn't get so much as a single swing at them.

I was a classic Cleric. +3 Mace. Hang back. Heal people.

That party had a CE triple/multi-classed THF MU FTR with all kinds of tricked out gear and choice of spells. CE stood for Chaotic Everywhere! I-Was-Never-There. Always in the middle of the action when there is treasure to scarf, always out of range when the traps go off, always in the shadows ready to backstab...

...one of THOSE characters.

There was this little room, no door, cavern walls, that looked like it had treasure sitting out in the open on a pedestal. So he charged in, started to examine the loot, failed his check-walls-ceilings-doors for traps roll, triggered a trap which released the 43 Stirges lurking overhead.

(Round room; tall conical ceiling.)

He tried to flee the room after just having insisted (one of THOSE characters) that he was first in. That wasn't allowed so he went to his list of spells. And he Found one.

Triumphantly he said, I cast Power Word Kill!

Debate ensued over what it did.

Me: flip-flip-flip-flip << pages turning >>

I handed the PHB to the DM and said, "last paragraph".

She read it.

She laughed.

She said, "Fine, ONE Stirge falls dead..."

Then the other 42 attacked him.

There was much general laughter.

They didn't attack us, as we weren't in the room yet, due to his having insisted on being First In First Over Treasure.

(FIFOT)

There followed an amusing series of attacks and rules discussions involving how many Stirges would simultaneously fit on one half-elf FTR/THF/MU (ya know, cause he was one of THOSE characters)...

The general laughter continued.

...there was also a parallel discussion of what would happen if somebody helpfully struck at a feeding Stirge, but missed.

More laughter.

• Like 9