Tyranid Hive Fleet Chernabaug, Tabletop quality

Reaperbryan

Great.

As for basing: If you want to use them against Snowbased Space Wolves, but also want to be able to make them look good against other armies.

I would base them on a rocky base.

It would easily blend in with everything, because almost any climate can have some rocks/ mountains.

As for weapons: I think blending them in with the body colours, but making them stand out a little by blending up to bone colour would make them stand out enough to be recognisable as weapons and still look like they're part of the creatures.

*** orders large quantities of bugspray***

• Like 4

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basing scheme - Still undecided. Suggestions Welcome.

I would use three sizes of grey model RR ballast mixed together. But I would also do patches and streaks of blue sand. Dull moonscape grey with Lapis Blue sand.

It is cool and alien looking the way I picture it in my head.

I have no ideas at all on the weapons. Need to know more about 'nids to opine.

• Like 3

I would use three sizes of grey model RR ballast mixed together. But I would also do patches and streaks of blue sand. Dull moonscape grey with Lapis Blue sand.

That basing idea sounds awesome!!

Are you going to use any of the Bones stuff in your army? Quite a few seem to fit the Tyranid force.

ETA: I would go with the same colors for the weapons but that's as much a funtion of laziness as preference.

I wasn't planning on using any Bones. Frankly, I have over 200 models for just this Fleet so at this point adding more isn't even on my mind. Don't get me started on how many Orcs, Tau, Space Wolves, and Skaven I have that need painting up...

I feel your pain/excitement/panick (it's all the same thing right?!) working on my son's necron force atm, and just started Orkies o.O

Love the colour scheme! No comment on the name, sorry, I've no idea about Tyranids fluff really =/ I'd definitely suggest basing them all at the same time, just so they look relatively similiar within your whole army. It's quite a boring way to do it, but I regret now only doing enough bases for my first batch of necron warriors because now I have to recreate that exactly! I did take notes so hopefully it'll be ok, but it'd had been easier to do them in one lump sum.

• Like 2

I think I have all four materials on hand. I could do a test base and snap a picture of it.

• Like 2

So the previous weekend, I did some airbrushing, completing the Marine Teal basecoat on 40 total Termagants and Hormagaunts. 

This weekend, I completed all of the teal/skin areas of on all 40 'Gaunts and then realized that I was supposed to, by my own rules, finish at least an entire unit. So I very quickly did the carapace and claws of 10 hormagaunts, which si the smallest possible legal unit of these adorable buggies.

Gaunts1.JPG

In the background above you can just see the pile of airbrushed little biters waiting for their next step.

Gaunts2.JPG

And here you san see the carapace work - no attempt at blending at all, which is awful I know. I plan to go back and try to smooth that, and having the next 30 models' skin done buys me the time I need to go back and correct the carapaces on these guys.

Still, it's technically painted and playable!

I expect to have another Unit completed in 2 weeks, (not working on them while I'm at PaizoCon) but I can't decide whether to do a unit of 3 Have Guard or do a unit of 1 Mawloc (which will take me 2-3 weeks to finish). The Mawloc is the very large (7" or so) white-primed bug, and One of the 6 Hive Guard I have is the smaller black-primed guy. The Hive Guard is on the 40mm base, the Mawloc's base is 6"x4" oval. 

NidsA.JPG

OK. I thought it would be worth doing an experiment then:

post-7586-0-46365200-1465322020_thumb.jpg

It turned out I had Teal sand as well as Blue. The superglue morphed the color a little bit. Only the blue was used in the experiment, Sir Forscale is there to kick elf and take measurements.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

OK. I thought it would be worth doing an experiment then:

IMG_0171x800x200.jpg

It turned out I had Teal sand as well as Blue. The superglue morphed the color a little bit. Only the blue was used in the experiment, Sir Forscale is there to kick elf and take measurements.

Oh, that looks really cool, I would go with that. The only suggestion would be to quickly and lightly dry brush the blue and to make it pop.

And thank you- I have now decided what colors my ritterlich army will be :)

June was a crazy month, but I managed to get another Unit completed - this one I decided to go with the largest model I own for this army - the Mawloc!

The basing is not complete - as with all of the other models I won't be putting them on their bases until they're all done, so that I can better ensure uniformity of base.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it overall, though I think the highlights on the scything talons got lost a little after the dullcote, and of course, I'm hoping that sprucing up the base will really make it threatening!