Great project!

Behold! a Beholder!...

That GF 9 kit is awesome!

Good luck with this, I will be following it ( as I am following all your WIPÅ› actually)

***Are you playing with your friends again? Better get your priorities straight before I decide to set you on fire!***

**** Countess, surely you mean you would fire me?***

*** Think again furball!!!***

****Yikes... I'm coming Countess***

• Like 3

While I think its going to be a fascinating project, I'm not sure how successful a diorama its going to make. I tried to go back and find advice that I have given in the past on various dioramas but apparently I have given a lot and there are to many posts to go through.

The first one you already picked up on in that there are some big size differences between your minis.

The second concern is about the story though. Dioramas and Vignettes are all about the story. While its cool that you are going to recreate the cover of the module, what story are you trying to tell me? I need to be able to discern what the story is without you standing there and explaining it to me. A simple title helps but if you have to write it down and explain it to me then you haven't achieved your goal.

The third, for now because it may not be appropriate is I think the view point should be from a short side rather than the long side and to really pull that off well I would go with a rectangular rather than a square base.

I'm eager to see exactly what you do with it.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 5

Really clever set up. I'm looking forward to see it! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

This has a lot of potential. Just take the cover art as a starting point & let your SPLENDIDLY ACTIVE imagination take you the rest of the way.

The diversity in miniature sizes I see as a strong point to the scene; i.e., there is quite a diversity in the size of humans, & you are also dealing with some fantasy folk in your scene.

Above all have as much FUN making it as we will viewing it! Now I just have to remember to click the follow thingy so I can do just that...follow the progress that is.

• Like 3

I agree with Heisler, it needs to fill two roles here, 1) be able to tell the story w/o having to be told (especially for competition pieces) and 2) stay true to the vision you have here wanting to recreate the front cover.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all shapes up!

• Like 4

I'm beginning to think that if I find a new dwarf, the other people will work. ..

He just is so much bigger than I expected!

The Devourers will also require smaller 'dollies'...

A preliminary thought is to have an eye or 2 looking at the book as well. ..

Business Meeting or something similar is a tentative title. ..

Just some thoughts from the commuter train...

• Like 5

I'm beginning to think that if I find a new dwarf, the other people will work. ..

He just is so much bigger than I expected!

The Devourers will also require smaller 'dollies'...

A preliminary thought is to have an eye or 2 looking at the book as well. ..

Business Meeting or something similar is a tentative title. ..

Just some thoughts from the commuter train...

Look at the dwarves from Iron Wind (Ral Partha) one of those will probably fit in better.

• Like 2

Thanks!

My thought as well. ..

Going to look at HF as well, thinking that they should be in scale with the old man.

Funny thing is, Gruff with the peg leg was a part of how the whole idea came to be...

• Like 3

Thanks!

My thought as well. ..

Going to look at HF as well, thinking that they should be in scale with the old man.

Funny thing is, Gruff with the peg leg was a part of how the whole idea came to be...

I'm also often struck with a single figure that excites my imagination and fuels me to do a vignette or diorama based on it. So seeing that he got yours going is awesome to me.

• Like 2

This is just my opinion, which is dubious at best, but the Dwarf is the best mini in the Group. I'd look at matching the other pieces to the Dwarf rather than the other way around.

• Like 5

This is just my opinion, which is dubious at best, but the Dwarf is the best mini in the Group. I'd look at matching the other pieces to the Dwarf rather than the other way around.

I agree, I'd also work around the figure that inspired me. Try to find some other figures to fill the roles of the supporting cast that are scaled better.

• Like 2

Thanks for the support folks!

I will see where it leads me....

I am thinking that from a conversion standpoint, the peg leg will be much simpler than some other things.... Going to see what I can find for the Drow, When I asked last year, no one really found anything then, and the Old Man was the other 'Initiator' mini.  Personally, I think he would be the hardest of the people to replace....

While I think about this, 

Has anyone assembled the Beholder mini????

There are no directions, and the Assembly section on the GF9 website does NOT have him there....

His head / body is 5 pieces, not including the eye stalks and the jaw tendons....

upper, lower, left, right, and 'spine'..... 

Really rather not fudge it if I can avoid it....

Thanks!

George

Found something, but I may need more help...

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 5

This dwarf is pretty small.  I couldn't see him on the Iron Wind site, but he is available from Ral Partha Europe as 02-030c Dwarf Engineer w/plans.

02-030c.jpg

• Like 5