So I did a bit of looking around the webs, and in the pile of lead....

If someone has a good shot of 14130: Snorri, Dwarf Solo

14130_G.jpg

In a scale shot, that would be great! One with Gruff especially....

Or maybe someone has a scale pic of HFV 002 Dwarf Tavern Patron

tavern%20patron.jpg

I am thinking that a dwarf from HF will be in scale with the old guy, and if I buy 2 of them, I can cut the arms from one, and cut the arms off the other, I can have good parts to work with...

I would of course try to do a clean cut so that I could paint the other as a patron, but I would have to order them, better to have them on hand...

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I was correct, and that it is Gruff throwing everything off...

I took some pics so that you can see why I think so...

post-14271-0-05081800-1462329790_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-07892200-1462329791_thumb.jpg

Here is Gruff with some other Reaper dwarves... as you can see, he is a bit larger than some, but it is that bit that is throwing me...

Here is Gruff with a Ral Partha Dwarf Musician that I am considering...

post-14271-0-98879700-1462329791_thumb.jpg

The mods would have to be pretty extensive though...

And here is that RP Dwarf with the Hasslefree Old Man

post-14271-0-02249900-1462329793_thumb.jpg

As I plan to straighten him up a bit, you can see that the RP Dwarf is the right height for what I am trying for....

I really appreciate the interest and comments of all you folks helping me out!

Even if I come to a different conclusion than you! So PLEASE, continue!

When it comes to the 'Competition' aspect of telling the 'story', I am kind of trapped inside my head with this pic and project, because I DMed the length and breadth of Toril for almost 20 years, and My players and I know the place likely better than we know this Earth we live on....

So because of that, the story in the pic, and hence the 3 dimensional version I hope to create, already 'speaks' to me, if I am getting that across....

I do plan on a rectangular base for the dio, it will likely not have any walls, as there are none apparent in the pic. I had planned on stopping it just beyond the water tank and the 'head board' for lack of a better term, and the sides would expand only enough to have the plants and 'Urn'(?) as whole pieces instead of cut offs... I may even have it canted a bit, so that the front intelect devourer is at the 'point', and have the base follow the line of the carpet, and retain the 'front' as it is in the pic.

Not for you all to do my work for me, what 'story' does the pic 'tell' you?

What the pic says to me,

I see the meeting of the crime-lord with his underlings, who are showing / explaining things to him in his inner sanctum...

The Bookkeepers are arguing while the 'Muscle' scratches his head in confusion, while the 'favorite' feeds the pets, and offers verbal barbs....

But again, I know who is what, but the old man with the visor, and the dwarf with the ledger kind of give that bookish nerd vibe, and as the beholder's main eye is on them as the old guy points to an entry in the ledger...

The fighter's pose just looks to me like, 'OH why do I have to listen to this stuff again...'

The way the Drow is dressed, the way she is looking over her shoulder with her body turned away is what leads me to believe that she is taunting / teasing / insulting the 2 bookish types....

So thanks again for the interest and comments!

George

Edit---> Heisler, I did read your Reapercon painting contest threads, they were very helpful! (Sorry I took so long to says so, and thanks....)

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 7

I'm a big FR fan, but I didn't read any books on this or run this module so the story that the front tells me is that the beholder looks rather annoyed as he's floating there looking at these other people presumably his underlings, it almost looks like it's a bar scene where drinks are being served and the other people are looking either frustrated or confused. 

You can always do a single wall in the back and paint it to look like the back of the picture on the cover, give it a bit of depth and help set the scene more that way. Also a clever title will help a lot, something like "Meeting with the Boss" so you can tell that they are meeting about something with the Beholder (boss) without much explanation on your part.

• Like 4

Just some quick pics of the old man....

I cut of the tab and the cane, straightened his legs and back a bit to give him a more upright posture.  brought his legs closer together and eliminating the bow legged look he had, and bent his feet to be in the right place for his new stance.

His right arm was straightened a bit, and moved to a more 'forward' position so as to be ready to point at whatever bookish thing I come up with...

Straightening up his body made him look like he was star gazing, so I made a small cut at his collar line with a razor saw, and bent his head back forward.

(Just so that you all know, he would stand upright on his 2 little feet all by his lonesome before I put in the pins. I tested that often during the bending process, because if the mini will stand up, chances are you have moved things around in a way that looks natural...)

Drilled the rest of the cane handle out of his hand, and the holes for the pins in his feet.

So here he is before the next round of hunt the mold line, his scrub up with simple green, and the start of the puttying...

George

post-14271-0-42098900-1462337075.jpg

post-14271-0-49681900-1462337078.jpg

post-14271-0-34845600-1462337081.jpg

post-14271-0-10977000-1462337084.jpg

post-14271-0-02712200-1462337092_thumb.jpg

post-14271-0-67154500-1462337092_thumb.jpg

post-14271-0-82505400-1462337099.jpg

post-14271-0-82889800-1462337100.jpg

post-14271-0-81823700-1462337101.jpg

• Like 9

So to keep moving forward, I assembled Xanathar's body / head...

The fit is ATROCIOUS.... especially for the price tag on this thing. Add to the fact that there are NO DIRECTIONS on how to assemble him in the box, or on the GF9 website....

It is going to take 1/2 a tube of GS to fill all the gaps....

At least Takhisis gave me some practice!

He is a BIG BOY as well!

post-14271-0-18587300-1462421908_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-31656500-1462421909_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-66533900-1462421910_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-70887300-1462421911_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-70293800-1462421912_thumb.jpg

Just to give you a sense of scale...

post-14271-0-22140200-1462421914_thumb.jpg

That is Astrid the Chronicler (03098), and Vourgha the ogre (02312)....

I don't have Sir ForScale....

George

• Like 14

He is an IMPRESSIVE piece, both for his size & the gaps. The comparison pieces are BEAUTIFULLY DONE by the way.

• Like 1

He is an IMPRESSIVE piece, both for his size & the gaps. The comparison pieces are BEAUTIFULLY DONE by the way.

Thank you!

The fit is ATROCIOUS.... especially for the price tag on this thing. Add to the fact that there are NO DIRECTIONS on how to assemble him in the box, or on the GF9 website....

It is going to take 1/2 a tube of GS to fill all the gaps....

Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course with those GF9 pieces.  I still have nightmares about their Umber Hulk I built for a customer.  On the plus side, the beholder doesn't seem have any thin pieces that'll crumble under the weight of your paintbrush . . .  Still, I'd be careful with that resin, it's uber-brittle.

The Egg

• Like 2

George - here's a video using super glue and baking soda for filling gaps, it may be a good way to help you out here.

• Like 4

You can always do a single wall in the back and paint it to look like the back of the picture on the cover, give it a bit of depth and help set the scene more that way. Also a clever title will help a lot, something like "Meeting with the Boss" so you can tell that they are meeting about something with the Beholder (boss) without much explanation on your part.

Excellent idea.

• Like 2

Excellent idea.

Thanks! Sometimes barbarians are useful for things other than crushing enemies and listening to the lamentations of their women.  ^_^

• Like 2

I bet golden molding paste would also fill the gaps cheaply. you can get it from one of the hobby stores with the coupon for less than $10.  It will last forever. It also helps with mold lines.  dries clearish.

• Like 4

George - here's a video using super glue and baking soda for filling gaps, it may be a good way to help you out here.

Thanks, will take a look!

Edit1--->(Just looked! Pretty cool Idea! Mini looks nice for a Vrock, may have to try and find it now....)

Excellent idea.

Thanks! Sometimes barbarians are useful for things other than crushing enemies and listening to the lamentations of their women.  ^_^

Good title suggestion!

I bet golden molding paste would also fill the gaps cheaply. you can get it from one of the hobby stores with the coupon for less than $10.  It will last forever. It also helps with mold lines.  dries clearish.

That is pretty much the same as Liquid Greenstuff?

I have some liquid green stuff, Apoxie-sculpt, and Green Stuff to hand, and will likely fill the cracks with a mix of 50% Apoxie-Sculpt and Green Stuff, as I need to fill in the old man's neck, add hair etc, as well as mods to other minis...

As I, like most of us, tend to mix too much putty at a time, I will likely hold off until I am a little further along with the project, so I waste as little putty as possible, and get into a 'Sculpting Groove' and have all those tools out and the painting stuff put off to the side...

Please keep coming up with suggestions and Ideas!

Also, after reading Heisler's excellent post on Diorama building, I am pretty sure that I am going to drop the Intellect Devourers as being extraneous... Or maybe just having 1 there, as it / they are the reason (I think!) that the Drow has a plate of meat and a steak on a fork, as if she is going to feed them....

Thoughts on that?

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 3

First off, you and I have similar AD&D loves. I love that module!  Sadly, it got destroyed while I was in the Navy due to a liquid detergent spill in my locker. :'(  Secondly, I got the GF9 model on 50% discount a year or so ago and have been waiting to assemble and paint mine as well.  There are some lovely details on the model, but it did look to me from a dry fit that there would be a lot of gap filling required.  It also took me a long time to figure out what the cross pieces were for! :D  I'm going to love watching this thread too!

• Like 3