So I did a bit of looking around the webs, and in the pile of lead....

If someone has a good shot of 14130: Snorri, Dwarf Solo

14130_G.jpg

In a scale shot, that would be great! One with Gruff especially....

I can tell you right now this guy won't work. He a modern-sized dwarf & for Warlord.

Too be honest I was thinking you should try & change the dark elf proxy. There are plenty of modern dark elves out there to try & choose from. Love the beholder thou. He makes me want the GF9 Strahd I have on pre-order even more, ha ha.

Good luck with the diorama. I've had a idea in my head for years. Who knows when it'll come out. :lol:

EDIT: Did a search out curiosity & I came across this one for yah:

7442_f1_p_jen.jpg Wood Elf Godess Avatar form SKU: DSM7442

• Like 5

So I did a bit of looking around the webs, and in the pile of lead....

If someone has a good shot of 14130: Snorri, Dwarf Solo

14130_G.jpg

In a scale shot, that would be great! One with Gruff especially....

I can tell you right now this guy won't work. He a modern-sized dwarf & for Warlord.

Too be honest I was thinking you should try & change the dark elf proxy. There are plenty of modern dark elves out there to try & choose from. Love the beholder thou. He makes me want the GF9 Strahd I have on pre-order even more, ha ha.

Good luck with the diorama. I've had a idea in my head for years. Who knows when it'll come out. :lol:

EDIT: Did a search out curiosity & I came across this one for yah:

7442_f1_p_jen.jpg Wood Elf Godess Avatar form SKU: DSM7442

You know Haldir, that just might work!

and if it doesn't, I'll still have another cool DSM mini to paint!

It's a better match I think than the one I have, and if I do ditch the Intellect Devourers, she will be easier to integrate....

Just don't let Ub3r give you Beggin' Strips for enabling me!

George

• Like 4

So to keep moving forward, I assembled Xanathar's body / head...

The fit is ATROCIOUS.... especially for the price tag on this thing. Add to the fact that there are NO DIRECTIONS on how to assemble him in the box, or on the GF9 website....

It is going to take 1/2 a tube of GS to fill all the gaps....

At least Takhisis gave me some practice!

He is a BIG BOY as well!

attachicon.gif005.JPG attachicon.gif006.JPG attachicon.gif007.JPG attachicon.gif008.JPG attachicon.gif009.JPG

Just to give you a sense of scale...

attachicon.gif010.jpg

That is Astrid the Chronicler (03098), and Vourgha the ogre (02312)....

I don't have Sir ForScale....

George

That's...............not small.

The wood elf goddess from DS is nice but she is quite tall. I received her as part of one of the exchange's and she is good sized. I can send you photos with some Reaper and/or HF if you want to see before you order one. Let me know.

Here she is next to a mouseling, Reaper's Josephine and HF's minstrel. She is standing on a circle base so that makes her a little taller but she is significantly taller anyway.

post-14071-0-01916300-1462674992_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Here she is next to a mouseling, Reaper's Josephine and HF's minstrel. She is standing on a circle base so that makes her a little taller but she is significantly taller anyway.

attachicon.gifscale 001.JPG

Thanks! That base makes her look very tall!

I guess she is the avatar of a deity...

Any chance of putting the HF figure without the plastic base next to her so that their feet are on the same level?

Thanks!

George

• Like 1

So I am doing the preliminary work on Slan Thurbel, Xanathar's Chief of Mercenaries.

post-14271-0-37653800-1462679760.jpg

I am using one of Reaper's Townsfolk IX: Town Guard (03165) to simulate him:

post-14271-0-64410700-1462679555_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-29328000-1462679556_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-01507900-1462679557_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-61395000-1462679557_thumb.jpg

Now one thing to remember through all these sub-WiPs, is that I am NOT trying to exactly replicate the picture, as I am not a sculptor able to do that, but I DO intend that the mini that you see in the diorama is a good enough likeness that you will recognize the character.

So the first thing to do was to remove the sword from his right hand. I used an X-Acto saw blade in a #1 handle to remove the pommel, and the cross hilt from his hand. I then used an X-Acto knife to carefully cut the tip away from the boot and leg.

post-14271-0-40469200-1462679558_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-03588900-1462679559_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-69527400-1462679559_thumb.jpg

I then carefully trimmed the remains of the hilt away from his index finger and thumb...

In the picture, Slan is wearing either scale mail, or banded mail, depending on the description you like... The Town Guard is wearing studded Leather, so it is time for some Dremel work.

I used these 3 bits to remove the studs, the plates on his hips, and all the belts except the main one.

post-14271-0-37368800-1462679560.jpg post-14271-0-93619100-1462679560.jpg

CAUTION!  When using a Dremel Tool, Always wear Eye Protection! Having a metal splinter in your eye, that needs to be removed by an ophthalmologist is Not pleasant! (It's likely better than hot bunking with the Forum Mascot, but I pray to all the Lords of Lead that I never find THAT out!)

Also, when using a Dremel Tool, be aware of where the Chuck of the tool is! (The part that holds the Bit) It is very easy to become fixated on the tip of the bit and the place on the mini you are working on, only to discover you have ground off the gnome's nose! (Yes, I did that...)

And remember as well, that the tool wont care if it is cutting the mini or your fingers!

post-14271-0-50931800-1462679561_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-87868100-1462679562_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-40635100-1462679563_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-09867300-1462679564_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-73375700-1462679564_thumb.jpg

When you are doing this type of 'Surface Skinning' slow and easy, with very little pressure to remove a little bit of metal at a time. It is harder to put metal back than it is to go over it again to remove a bit more...

So as you can see, the torso and 'skirt' of the armor has all been made relatively smooth in preparation for sculpting the scales.

Now I have never done this, but you need to start sometime!

I plan to follow this tutorial.

I forget who originally posted this, but I saw it on these forums....

(I see a tutorial that looks interesting, I book mark it for latter use.... It is a good habit to get into!)

I am not starting the GS yet, as His head needs to be changed to one without a helmet, (Anyone have a good suggestion for a new head?)  I want to move his left arm to be more like the picture, and the Broccoli needs to be removed.

Comments appreciated!

George

(Mods, should I do separate Wips for the separate parts of the dioramas?)

• Like 8

Different HF model but same difference. Humans come up to her armpit.

attachicon.gifscale 001.JPG

Thanks Pochi!

I think I just may have found my dwarf....

Rp-01-070c.jpg

He cried out from the bay of evil, so I rescued him....

• Like 9

And here he is with the Hasslefree old man so that relative scale can be seen...

post-14271-0-78524500-1463293510.jpg post-14271-0-39572600-1463293511.jpg

Now to find a book....

George

Refer to pic in first post to see why he got nominated....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 7

Chop his leg & peg it! I think that will make a nice sub.

I kinda like the height of elf. I mean she is a drow? Exotic & mysterious. Plus, next to the behold she shouldn't look that bad.

• Like 1

Ben a littl while since I worked on this, as I have been busy with the Goblin Chief and Maglubiyet.

But after Pathfinder tonight, I didn't feel like painting, and looking at my desk, I suddenly felt a bit Froggy!

So I grabbed the Dwarf and started cleaning mold lines, Decided to take off the Broccoli when I got most of the mold lines...

(I used an X-Acto saw to cut at an angle under his feet, then finished with the clippers after getting a bit more than 1/2 way through.

I clipped the cane off with a pair of clippers.

Then I decided to pull off his left leg for the peg, and I cut through the cuff of the boot with an X-Acto saw.

Off course, His RIGHT LEG decided to break just above the cuff....

Looks likes a clean break, easily repairable. (Famous last words...) I will likely glue the leg on, then drill the hole for the pin to hold him to the base, and just extend it up through his leg...

Need to drill the hole for the pin in his left leg that will both support him on the base, and act as the armature fore the peg...

While looking for more mold lines, I noticed the scabbard for a dagger(?) under his right hand, and decided if I trim it right, It can be the sash from the pic.

I decided to outline his wrists with an X-Acto knife to make the removal of his hands easier, and discovered that if I went around a few more times to deepen the outline, his hands would come off!

So off they came, in prep for using the dremel to clean up the cuffs...

Don't think that would be as easy with a newer mini, as I suspect he is lead, being from 1979...

post-14271-0-78962000-1464508082.jpg post-14271-0-79568400-1464508083.jpg post-14271-0-24512000-1464508084.jpg

Then I decided to remove the Broccoli from Slan, and started sawing away with the Makita Blade in a #5 handle...

again clipping when more than 1/2 way through.

post-14271-0-25357200-1464508081.jpg post-14271-0-84840400-1464508081.jpg

Pics of the tools:

post-14271-0-99393500-1464508084_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-92637000-1464508085_thumb.jpg

No power tool usage in this house at 2am! I like life, so the dremel work needs to be done later...

Comments and Critiques welcome!

George

• Like 7

Interesting idea with that Makita blade.

Works quite well for removing broccoli. ..

Doubt I would use it for fine work though. ..

• Like 3