Brown liner by the bucket?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, to remain on topic, there are SEVERAL things I'd like to see in bigger bottles, which I use MUCH more of than paints (as each figure tends to be small amounts of different color, but these particular things go on most EVERY figure).

#1 - reaper sealer

#2 - reaper flow reducer

#3 - reaper brush on primer

#4 - reaper washes

#5 - reaper stone triad (for doing larger stuff like dwarven forge, and countless bases / etc)

#6 - reaper liner

So there's my wish list. 

Make it so! 

:)

• Like 2

Is brown liner really still the end all be all magic first coat for bones? (Out of an airbrush)

I bought a gazillion oz of badger stynlrez because I didn't realize it came in 32 oz bottles... weeeeee.

Edited by Magnum9

Is brown liner really still the end all be all magic first coat for bones? (Out of an airbrush)

I don't know about airbrushing, but using a hand brush there is nothing I've found that compares to Reaper's liner for sticking to Bones like nobody's business.

• Like 4

I don't know about airbrushing, but using a hand brush there is nothing I've found that compares to Reaper's liner for sticking to Bones like nobody's business.

This.  I was the one who stumbled across its powers when looking for a substitute for Walnut, which I had recommended to somebody but they reported adhesion issues.  Brown Liner I happened to have and seemed close so I tested it and found out it had staying power.  I then subjected a linered mini to every abuse I could think of, the results of which confirmed Brown Liner is pure wizardry. 

Airbrush seems as robust as handpainting, I have no airbrush so I couldn't test that part but I know some people tried it and I can't recall any reports of issues.  Also it's good for other plastics and resins, and I even add a coat over primer on metals.  It's not quite so indestructible over metal/primer as over raw plastic/resin... but tough enough to save repainting my Flames of War Tiger after a drop so hard it bent the metal gun barrel about 70 degrees.

Sturdy undercoat!

• Like 5

Just a small update to this thread. I've done a few stynlrez test minis alongside a few brown liner minis. I can definitively say that brown liner is a bit more durable... but not massively so.

My suggestion based on my limited knowledge and experience would be thus. If you plan on handling a mini after painting, especially if it is going to be used for table top, I would go with brown liner and also throw a sealant coat over top.

However ... if you are bat-kaka insane like some people, and have TWO TIANOTS inbound with bones 3, I think stynlrez is a viable alternative to using 4 bottles of brown liner. I don't imagine tianot is going to be moving around much on my game board. SO for large scale display minis I think you're ok with a good scrub with soap and water followed by a hit of stynlrez and then throw down your base coat. I had no beading and nothing has come up off any of my test minis from casual handling. Abuse however has chipped the badger primer off bones, while similar SCIENCE has shown brown liner to be pretty much indestructible.

Basically, Reaper.... please make buckets of brown liner :D

• Like 2

Has anyone tried gesso or tube acrylics as Bones primer?

I have.

I don't recommend acrylic gesso as a primer because it's kind of coarse (and sandpapery on your brushes).

I have used tube acrylics, but they seem to have similar difficulties to minis paint on Bones -- they tend to bead up unless applied thickly enough to blur detail.

Brown (and other colors) Liner is so much easier to use as a first coat on Bones that I have pretty much switched over to it exclusively.

• Like 2

Honestly.  As much as I like using the liners for a basecoat/primer on bones and while I would totally support a larger size.  I think it more practical to stick to traditional spray on primer for the big stuff.  I am very much a fan of Army Painter Primer for my terrain and gargantuan monster needs. 

Has anyone tried gesso or tube acrylics as Bones primer?

I have.

I don't recommend acrylic gesso as a primer because it's kind of coarse (and sandpapery on your brushes).

I have used tube acrylics, but they seem to have similar difficulties to minis paint on Bones -- they tend to bead up unless applied thickly enough to blur detail.

Brown (and other colors) Liner is so much easier to use as a first coat on Bones that I have pretty much switched over to it exclusively.

I too, have used gesso (Liquitex black) as primer on bones; mostly mobs such as zombies, vermin, etc. The gesso shrinks when dry and does not cover the details. I've done some stress testing by continuously bending the bones figure and scratching the surface with my fingernails. Bending seems to have no effect on the gesso, but over time the finger nail does scratch off a sliver of it.

I would also like put in my vote for a larger container of liner and/or primer. ^__^

• Like 2