• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great paintjob. That's tabletop?

;-)

If you were to do only one thing to improve it it should be the bowstring. Get some dark-coloured 'beading wire', 0.3mm or about that thickness, and glue the ends onto the bow instead of using those knots.

(I plan to do an archer soon, myself, so I got some of that stuff on The Bay of E)

Weird...

Looking at the mini, is he holding the string back, or has he just released it?

If he's holding it there should have been an arrow there, but...

Also, and I may be mistaken but, the distance from his fingers to the bow sems to be longer than the arrows in his quiver?

• Like 1

nicely done. 

ignore those scientific types who don't believe in collapsible arrows!

The only suggestion I would have also pertains to the string... maybe take some sealer and rub it along the string to make the tufts flatten down to give you a smoother string.  I am impressed that you added a bow string which is very hard to do! 

• Like 3

Also, and I may be mistaken but, the distance from his fingers to the bow sems to be longer than the arrows in his quiver?

That's pretty standard at this scale.  I run into it when making arrows to knock for GW Wood Elves--I use dog guard hairs for the strings in that case, but I slit the end of the bow and glue them in.  Regardless, scale arrows at 28mm would be smaller diameter than the bowstring.  They're more a representation than a perfect scale model.  He's pulling to his shoulder anyway, when it should be to cheek or ear...  There's going to be some heroic liberties taken at this scale always, that's all.

TL;DR:  The arrows are magical and fit in whatever container they're placed in!

I like the fuzz of the string, as though he twisted it recently himself.  I don't even mind the knots in that context.  He looks great overall, love his face and details!  I guess slapping an arrow on the bow wouldn't hurt anything, and it's kind of fun to do.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 2

That's pretty standard at this scale.  I run into it when making arrows to knock for GW Wood Elves--I use dog guard hairs for the strings in that case, but I slit the end of the bow and glue them in.  Regardless, scale arrows at 28mm would be smaller diameter than the bowstring.  They're more a representation than a perfect scale model.  He's pulling to his shoulder anyway, when it should be to cheek or ear...  There's going to be some heroic liberties taken at this scale always, that's all.

TL;DR:  The arrows are magical and fit in whatever container they're placed in!

I like the fuzz of the string, as though he twisted it recently himself.  I don't even mind the knots in that context.  He looks great overall, love his face and details!  I guess slapping an arrow on the bow wouldn't hurt anything, and it's kind of fun to do.

Yeah, if you assume a typical 1/4" or so thickness of the shaft, it would scale down to about 0.11mm, so pretty thin. Not certain what I'd use for material to mimic that... ;-)

The string is what annoyed me at first. Then, when I started to look past that and really study the nice paintwork did I notice the stance. It just isn't 'right'. His left arm is pointing slightly downwards, as if he's lowering the bow after placing a shot, but his right arm is held as if he's about to or have just released the arrow, albeit at the wrong height. (I do a bit of archery at home. Barely at the hit the side of a barn from the inside stage, really, just focusing on stance and holding it drawn for now. At a 40lbs draw that's an exercise in itself.)

And yeah, adding an arrow is the kind of stuff that's FUN to do.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the C&C and likes everyone!

Re: Bowstring, I just used some thread, but I noticed the same thing with it being kind of frayed, I like the idea of adding some sealer to it to make it look cleaner, so I'll do that!

Re: To Arrow or Not to Arrow - I thought about trying to add an arrow, but then decided it was a tabletop piece and may get some rough usage, so I went with no visible arrow and instead lets say magical arrow is there that you just can't see ::P:

Great paintjob. That's tabletop?
;-)

If you were to do only one thing to improve it it should be the bowstring. Get some dark-coloured 'beading wire', 0.3mm or about that thickness, and glue the ends onto the bow instead of using those knots.
(I plan to do an archer soon, myself, so I got some of that stuff on The Bay of E)

Thanks! Yep, my tabletop standard. I can't not put some details into my pieces, but I didn't want to spend 2-3 weeks on these trying to get to display quality or to be used in a vignette or diorama, especially since they are only tabletop figures for a quick 4-6 session game and can be used again later on as ranger/wolf for other people, wanted them to be pretty generic with the ranger colors in browns and greens. I'll have to look into that beading wire, thanks for the tip!  ::):

I suppose your PC had to have a wolf as a companion because you didn't happen to have any tiger minis handy...

Well... wouldn't the Ranger be the Companion to the Tiger:huh:  ^_^

I actually debated long and hard over whether to go with a wolf or panther for the animal companion, decided in the end on the wolf (obviously) as it was more the style I wanted to play the animal companion.

nicely done. 

ignore those scientific types who don't believe in collapsible arrows!

The only suggestion I would have also pertains to the string... maybe take some sealer and rub it along the string to make the tufts flatten down to give you a smoother string.  I am impressed that you added a bow string which is very hard to do! 

Thanks! It's the first time I've added the string to any ranger/archer figures, I think I'll continue to take the time to do so, it wasn't that hard to do.

Leif: best name ever :D love the job you've done! Really like that wolf model as well!

Thank you! I wanted the name to be a double meaning. The wolf is a pretty nice figure from DSM, meant to go with their Ranger, but I liked this one better for size and look.

They're both really lovely! I especially love the colour variation on the wolf's fur!

Thanks! The wolf's fur is inspired by the European Timber Wolf, they have lots of reds and browns in their fur as opposed to greys and blacks.

• Like 5

I LOVE THEM. :wub:

I actually thought the style of bowstring was intentional - a rugged, simple bow that will do the job. Though I guess a rugged bow doesn't go as well with that snazzily painted armor!

And the basing is awesome, of course. ::):

• Like 1

I LOVE THEM. :wub:

I actually thought the style of bowstring was intentional - a rugged, simple bow that will do the job. Though I guess a rugged bow doesn't go as well with that snazzily painted armor!

And the basing is awesome, of course. ::):

Thank you! ::D:

I think the bow string became frayed from handling it as I was attaching to base and trying to get the string strung, so I like the idea of preserving it better and making it look cleaner as he's an elven ranger and he'd get made fun of with a rugged bow string.

• Like 3