Paint brush bristles

Super Jag

Well, it looks like my favorite brushes are starting to go past the point of perfectly worn in and into the garbage. When I bought them I was clueless (still am) of what I was buying. Fortunately they've worked out great for me.

So, I've come to notice that different brushes use different types of bristles. I'm not sure what they all are and why I'd want to buy one type over the other. Any suggestions you all have about choosing particular brushes is appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the biggest thing I would say is: Be willing to spend the extra to go with natural hairs, and take good care of them.

I have a natural squirrel bright that was given to me when I was only eleven, it's a Marx brush and has lasted 22 years now, I even use it for priming, which is rather abusive. ( :huh: Hey! When did I get this old? My brush is older than I feel. :lol: )

I would stick with natural hair and get a few brushes made of synthetic fibers like golden taklon for things like priming and drybrushing.

I would completely switch over to Natural hair myself if it were not for the fact that I have other people in my house using my brushes and they don't treat them with the veneration that I do. Because of that I purchase all Loew Cornell American Painter brand golden taklon brushes which are incredibly cheap and I use those.

Stick with natural fibre for actual painting, good sable brushes, preferably kolinsky sable. they will cost you a bit more than some other types but they work better and will last you longer.

Synthetics are ok for drybrushing and for paint on primers, but that is all I would use them for, they don't last long. Cheap and nasty!

Cheers,

Julie

Well, sable are great all around brushes, but I find that synthetic, short bristles are excellent for inkwork, or simple minute work, like eyes and highlighting gems.

Both types should last long if properly cared for, but natural hair will require a bit of conditioner now and then, while taklons will do fine just washing with mild soap...

The problem I mostly come across with the synthetics (of any brand) is that the tips curl and they fray quite quickly, even when tehy are looked after.

I wouldn't recomend ink work or eye detailing with a brush taht has a frayed or curly tip.

Oh, no, certainly not with a frayed tip, but I find kinda useful the slight curl on it. somehow, it gives me just the amount of control I need when dealing with pupils and other small details. Then again, I guess I'm weird...

The problem I mostly come across with the synthetics (of any brand) is that the tips curl and they fray quite quickly, even when tehy are looked after.

I wouldn't recomend ink work or eye detailing with a brush taht has a frayed or curly tip.

Oh, no, certainly not with a frayed tip, but I find kinda useful the slight curl on it. somehow, it gives me just the amount of control I need when dealing with pupils and other small details. Then again, I guess I'm weird...

Those curled brush tips can be a blessing sometimes, some spots just do so much more cooperatively with them.

Hey guys,

Does any one know how to unbend a bent but otherwise good brush tip.

Thanks - Ray

ps Vallejo Kolinski Sable are the only brushes I have had no problem with.

Yeah, get Pink Soap or the Master's cake brush soap. Both are with the brushes at Michael's. Apply the soap, shape your brush, and let it dry. That will take care of a lot of things - stray hairs, bent bristles, ect.

It won't do much for synthetic bristles that have curled because, well, that's what they do. But it will help some.